Wedding Etiquette Forum

How to invite co-workers

I need some help! I work with a small group of people, around 12 . I am not close to all of them, however I am very close to a few. How do I invite them? Do I invite everyone and their spouses or do I just invite those that I am close to and hope the other ones don't find out? I feel awful not including everyone, but we are trying to keep our guest list to 250 and we are pushing it...any suggestions?

Re: How to invite co-workers

• Invite those who you are close to.  Use invites and mail them to their houses.  Any guests with significant others should have their significant others invited as well.
  • edited September 2013
    How I handled this - I invited only those in my immediate division. I did not invite anyone outside of this work distinguished group, even though I would have liked to do so. I also felt comfortable not inviting the 2 new people in our division as they had only started working a month before my invites went out. (luckily as one of them no longer worked there by the wedding dates)
    I think if you invite some and you don't have a uniform cut off that your workplace created, like a division or section, you might hurt feelings. I would just not invite anyone. 
    My husband invited all of his employees and then had to deal with them asking for plus ones of random dates and wanting to bring their kids.
    Sometimes it's just easier to tell the ones you are close with that you had to not invite anyone at work to keep work and personal separate. Otherwise you risk having hurt feeling of those not invited. Only you can tell if that would cause huge problems at your place of employment.
    Good Luck! :-)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Personally I don't mix personal and professional because stuff like this is sticky. I would invite only those you're close to - of course the others will find out. They may even ask you about it. Decide if you're ok with that. If you're not I would take an all or nothing approach. If you want to invite them you must invite their SOs. Mail the invitations along with everyone else's invites.
    *********************************************************************************

• Oooo, that is a tough one. In such a small company, I believe I would invite everyone and their SO. It will cause drama if everyone is not invited in such a small group. JMHO
  • mommapizanomommapizano member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    We also have a small office. We only invited one coworker and his wife because he is close to our family. Other than that, we kept it to family and friends. We got his home address and mailed it. Our wedding is pretty small though, only 65.
  • Conventional wisdom is to only invite those that you routinely hang out with outside of work.  

Either way, if you don't invite everyone, quietly ask those that you will invite for their addresses and significant others' names.  When you do, mention that you won't be inviting the whole office and ask them not to discuss the wedding at work.

I would also advise against STDs for co-workers.  Working relationships change faster than friendships, and you don't want to be stuck with someone who leaves the company 3 months before your wedding.
  • I need some help! I work with a small group of people, around 12 . I am not close to all of them, however I am very close to a few. How do I invite them? Do I invite everyone and their spouses or do I just invite those that I am close to and hope the other ones don't find out? I feel awful not including everyone, but we are trying to keep our guest list to 250 and we are pushing it...any suggestions?

How many is a few?

Personally, I agree with PP.....I don't mix personal and professional.  I just invited one person who I socialize with outside of the office.
  • One other thing:  Don't talk about the wedding at work if not everyone is invited.  If someone brings it up there, bean-dip (change the subject) and then discreetly and privately let that person know you'd prefer not to discuss the wedding at work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards