Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Good Ideas Your SO Has Come Up With

Not that we've seen how many bad ideas men come up with, let's see what good ideas they have.
My husband surprises me with chocolate whenever I'm having a really rough day. He always says, "Chocolate makes women feel better, right? And besides, you work so hard you deserve something special," whenever I ask him why there's a box of fancy chocolates in his hands. Then he asks if he got any brownie points and I just laugh.

Re: Good Ideas Your SO Has Come Up With

• Options

^ mmm chocolate!!  You husband is a good man!

I'll share a food one too: I love when my hubby comes home with my favorite snacks, "just because". 

We live in NYC, and a few years ago he surprised me with a mini-vacation in Washington DC during the cherry blossom festival.  We had such a blast that we've made it an annual tradition!  Sometimes one or two nights in a hotel only a couple hours away is as rejuvenating as a week in the Caribbean :)

• Options
    eileenrob said:

^ mmm chocolate!!  You husband is a good man!

I'll share a food one too: I love when my hubby comes home with my favorite snacks, "just because". 

We live in NYC, and a few years ago he surprised me with a mini-vacation in Washington DC during the cherry blossom festival.  We had such a blast that we've made it an annual tradition!  Sometimes one or two nights in a hotel only a couple hours away is as rejuvenating as a week in the Caribbean :)

Yeah, my husband's the best.
    Now I'm jealous I've always wanted to go to the cherry blossom festival.
  • Options
    WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    The food.  At our first tasting he ordered the burbon & dark chocolate mousse with fresh cream, served in edible, chocolate tulip cup and insisted that we WOULD be serving them for dessert.  Period.    We were able to order a small, not fancy white cake just to supplement the heavy chocolate as a result.  

The second time we went out to meet with the coordinator we stayed to eat dinner and he ordered the duck quesadillas and elk meatballs off the appetizer menu. They.  Were. AMAZING!  So we ended up adding them to cocktail hour.  Those aren't available to be served in the buffet.  They're hand passed which adds a nice, formal touch to everything.

It was his idea to serve the hot spiced apple cider with Tuaca as a welcome to our wedding drink when guests arrive too.

After our Navajo friend offered to do our ceremony and suggested playing native flute music too, FI told him yes without asking me first.  I had more traditional music ideas in mind but now I'm so glad we're going this route.   It just fits who we are and where we are holding our day.  I don't even know what songs are being played so I can focus just on FI and not feel like I'm following something so scripted.

He also insisted on car service to get us from the reception to our hotel, 30 miles away.  I would have been fine with driving ourselves but now I'm glad he kept pushing it. It will be nice to just relax together in the back of the car after being surrounded by everyone all day.

Of course his best idea ever was asking me to marry him ;- )
  • Options
    He suggested having a trolley shuttle instead of a party bus. It was awesome. 
    He also suggested what ended up being our ceremony location which was really cool and unique. 
    He found our DJ, who did an AMAZING job.
    He also planned our honeymoon. All I knew was the airport where we were landing. He did a great job and planned really cool stuff.  
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    It was FI's idea to start looking for houses. I wanted a house, but I wasn't sure if I was ready. Love him for encouraging me to start --- we now have an amazing house and I can't imagine living back in our old apartment! 

As far as the wedding goes, FI has suggested we offer a good selection of beer to our guests to drink before/during the ceremony. At first I was likeimage

Then I thought about it and decided, 

• Options
    Honestly, I generally have the best ideas. I'm a planner. But DH is spontaneous and sometimes he surprises me with a genius idea. Like our last minute trip to Paris last September, where he proposed to me. He also came up with our dog's name, which is absolutely perfect.

Wedding-wise, his only good idea was to have the groomsmen wait at the altar with him. They were so cute up there.
  • Options
    Well, his first good idea was asking me to marry him! HAHA! :-P Just kidding, sort of. 

It was his idea to have the ceremony hanging off a cliff. And I love it for so many reasons. 

I don't want to gush too much, but he has tons of good ideas when it comes to day to day stuff. He always seems to know exactly what I need and how to fix things. I've had a few really crappy days so yesterday he took me for a massage, took me to dinner and then took me to the movies. 
  • Options
    My FI's only request for the wedding is that we have a chocolate fountain... I used to think this was a bad idea, but as time goes on, I'm all for it. gimme chocolate! Just not on my dress... My parents are actually paying for our reception and are paying for his chocolate fountain, which they fully love the idea of a chocolate fountain too. Will be interesting. Rumor has it, I might also have an ice sculpture. That's all my mom's doing though. Shall be interesting!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    BF's awesome ideas include dating me =], always knowing how to fix things, spontaneous chocolate giving, letting me have the remote, and planning our vacations. He is a DYNAMITE vacation planner and always has everything organized and stress-free when we go away.

He doesn't know much about weddings, though. The couple of times we have seen major issues at friends' weddings such as gaps, making your wedding party into ladies in waiting/manservants, etc., he rarely sees the big deal until it is spelled out for him. Thank goodness for TK!
  • Options
    He suggested I get two bouquets - one for the first look photos in the hot July sun and then use it as the toss bouquet. The other for the ceremony and to keep. I got my flowers at Kroger's so two identical bouquets was still less then one at a florist and they looked great!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I can't believe I forgot this - he's the one that suggested our venue!!! I had never been there before. The place is magnificent. 

He also planned all the private tours we did for the cruise we went on last month. He did such a good job. 
  • Options
    SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    H definitely spoke up about etiquette faux pas (though not using those words) that had bothered him at previous weddings we'd attended, so he was completely on board with me regarding no gap, no head table, no cash bar, etc. He didn't necessarily contribute too many concrete ideas, but we didn't hardly disagree at all.

ETA: Like ClimbingBride, H also suggested our venue. I loved it instantly!

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • Options
    FI has lots of good ideas!  He's the total social butterfly out of the two of us so he always has cool festivals, concerts, and other cool random things that he finds for the two of us to do.  He also spontaneously brings me flowers, which I totally love (I think he stole this one from his father, though).  

A lot of our wedding has been FI's ideas.  He's the one that wanted the big wedding, so it's largely his "vision."  I'm more of the organizer/planner of the two of us, so I take his ideas and figure out a way to make it work.  The two of us balance each other nicely.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    DH picked my e-ring without my input and I love it!

DH insisted we no leave on our honeymoon till Monday morning after our Saturday wedding.  I wanted to leave Sunday to get started, but he insisted. We had a 4 -5 hour drive to our first location, and it ended up working out well as we were able to rush to get out of there after church and still make it to the inn at a reasonable hour.  We also got a chance to visit a little bit extra with visiting family, and make a last minute grocery run. 

He talked me down from a few cliffs during the process.  We were having dinner with his parents when mine called and told me that my grandma wouldn't make it to the wedding because she way dying.  He insisted on driving me home, and made sure I was ok, he helped make arrangements so she was able to listen in on the wedding and see the video shortly after it.  
  • Options
    The one thing that DH suggested/contributed to that was a total surprise for me was our wedding cake. Obviously I knew he would have input about the flavors themselves, but I figured he wouldn't be into the design part at all. Color me surprised when not only does he have opinions, he goes and designs the entire thing from top to bottom! I just sat back, smiled, and kept eating my cake samples.
  • Options
    I was nervous when I approached my FI about the bar. I told him how much it was and that I wanted premium hosted. He was like "Yeah, why wouldn't we do that?"

For him it isn't about etiquette, it's just common sense. He couldn't imagine charging our families for drinks.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards