Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Ceremony/Reception North of Pittsburgh?

Hi everyone!  I'm fairly new to the boards; I've been lurking for a bit, but haven't commented or anything.  My fiance and I have been engaged for a while now, and have finally decided to actually start planning things.  I would like to have our ceremony and reception in the same place, to avoid having to travel between the two for simplicity's sake.  We're thinking it will probably be around 150 people, but I'm not really sure what the budget is.  He's gung-ho on a sit-down dinner (which I agree with), and I'm thinking of having a Friday evening ceremony/reception because it's less expensive (though I do realize that will probably affect who can attend).  We were pondering New Years Eve 2010 because that would be fun, but I realize not less expensive.  

Anyway, this long-winded post is a way to ask: has anyone gotten married North of Pittsburgh?  (Cranberry, Butler, Wexford, wherever).  We're in the North Hills, and my mother would like us to do it in Butler (Where I'm from), but I don't particularly want to have it there.  Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome!

Re: Ceremony/Reception North of Pittsburgh?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My brother/SIL had their reception at the 4 Points Sherton in Cranberry. It was beautiful! One of my best friends had her reception at the Marriot in Cranberry. Its a bit more expensive than 4 Points, but very new and nice! I believe you can have an on-site ceremony at both locations. HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
       My cousin had her's at the Great Hall on Perry Highway in the North Hills.  It's a nice location.  One or two other girls on here had theirs at the Great Hall as well.  I don't see why you couldn't do the ceremony there as well.
       My friend had an outdoor wedding at the Greater Pittsburgh Masonic Center then had a sit down dinner inside.  That's in West View I beleive.  http://lodge45.org/gpmc.shtml They also do indoor ceremonies as well (theirs was a non-denominational.)
       Then there's the Mayernik Center.  They do weddings and receptions and that's in Avonworth.  It's very pretty there.http://www.avonworthcommunitypark.org/facilities/mayernik.php
      Sorry these suggestions are all in the North HIlls, but that's obviously where I'm from!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!  Hope you stick around and post often :)

The Mansion at Hartwood Acres is really pretty, as are the surrounding grounds.
    http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/images/gallery/hw/mansion.asp

Shakespeare's Restaurant in Ellwood City is a popular wedding venue- it looks like a big castle.
    http://shakespearesrestaurant.com/index2.htm

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having mine at 12 Oaks Mansion- which is really pretty. Its a good compromise for you since its between Cranberry and Butler on route 228 (ok, closer to Cranberry)
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome Ashley!

We had my daughter's bridal shower at The Atrium in Prospect.  It's a great venue and the staff is super nice to work with and the food is delicious!  I did a lot of extensive decorating - I can send you the link of my shower photos if you are interested.

Betsy's Barn in Portersville is another great place!

There's the Oakview Country Club in Slippery Rock and
    greenet had her wedding at the Succop Conservancy in Butler and it is incredibly beautiful!

http://www.bc3.edu/conservancy/

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!

NYE will be extremely expensive, IMO, but so fun! :) I don't know if you can still get the Friday discount (some places have wised up to that), but it is worth a try. Also, if you are open to a winter wedding, we saved major bucks that way.

I am not super familiar with that area, but I know that the Mayernik is super popular, affordable, and can easily accommodate a ceremony and reception, just to reiterate 26summer's suggestion.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and Welcome!

Twelve Oaks is very pretty! 

There is also The Camelot in Warrendale (they also have the Columbian Room, but it is just a banquet facility).

The Cheswick in Wexford is really nice as well.

It may be a little farther than wanted, but the Hampton Inn on Rt 8 I believe you can do both ceremony and reception. 

Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a south hills girl, but congrats and welcome!  Hope you post often!  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No recs, but hello and welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've heard great things about Lingrow Farms in Leechburg and Springwood in Verona is pretty but expensive.

My cousin got married at Lenape golf course out near Ford City and it was quite nice. Good luck!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I appreciate the huge response!  It's so nice to see different suggestions than the same things that come up on all the websites when I Google for venues.  We do have an appointment to go look at the Marriott North on the 22nd, but I will absolutely look into all the other suggestions as well.  

I definitely think it's going to be a winter wedding because I'm in law school part time and working full time, so the majority of planning and things will be done in the spring/summer (and the prices in winter are less expensive, or so I've been told).
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just thought of another venue - The Cornerstone (I think that's the name) in downtown Butler!

A couple of brides have had their weddings there and it looks so beautiful in their photos.

I also second the recommendation of The Cheswick in Wexford.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also getting married at Twelve Oaks Mansion in Mars, PA. Very pretty location.
  • Options
    steff308steff308 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cranberry Highlands Golf Course----the room is all windows and perfect for 150!
  • Options
    glassmdglassmd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This thread has been very helpful to me as I am in a similar boat! Thanks to all the recommendations! Please keep them coming! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at The Chadwick in Wexford.  Their event planner, Stacy, is super nice, and it's a pretty venue.  I've also been to very nice receptions at both the Sheraton North (think it's a Four Points now) and Marriot North.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out The Mansion off Route 8, south of downtown Butler. Beautiful marble foyer and spiral staircase for indoor ceremony plus lots of space for your reception. Also Greystone Fields or The Atrium can be very affordable. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards