Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Dress Dilemma (Long!)

I need serious help. For real. I thought I had picked out a dress and I posted about it a few weeks ago. But, this one dress has consistently been on my mind and bugging me. It's by Christina Wu, it is on her website (clicky).

The catch is, I cannot find it within a 100 miles of Pittsburgh. I have called every bridal shop listed on the website. A lady in Ohio was incredibly helpful though, she said they called Christina Wu and were told that the dress is still being "cut" and isn't available to be sent out until June. Bridal Beginning told me they could get it in for me to try on, but it'll cost $150 just to try it on.

So do I cough up the $150 and just do it? The dress is under budget by a good amount and I haven't ordered the other one. Would I get the same effect if I tried on something that had the same shape/style or at least really similar? Would you order a dress without trying on the exact thing?

Obviously, I have plenty of time. I'm not worried about that. I'm just worried that I'm pretty opinionated and picky, and this could take a long time. Plus, pretty much any dress I choose is going to be a special order since I'm so short. So a dress that may only be a 6 month turn around could take 8-10 months.

Help?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dress Dilemma (Long!)

• Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a beautiful dress.

But...$150 just to try it on?? That seems ridiculous to me.  Any way that you can get that as store credit, so you can try on the dress and, say, have 150 credit to spend toward the dress if you choose it, or toward a veil/accessories if you dont?

To answer your questions, I wouldn't order a dress without having tried the exact dress on.  But if the total cost would put me under budget, I might pay $150 to try on that dress...but probably not though because the principle of it annoys me.  That said, I'd first ask to try on a very similar style dress, see if I hated it, and then I wouldn't bother asking to have the dress brought in.

If I had something I had already tried on and loved enough to wear, I definitely wouldn't bother with either.  But if it IS bothering you a ton... could be worth it.

good luck!!
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hate talking money.

The dress is about $1100. Budget is about $3000. I'm going to ask about a credit. Even if they kept half and let me use the other $75, I'd be ok with that. And I agree, loosing $150 to try it on is steep.
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I mean, you're still waay under budget even if you have them bring in the dress, so that's good.  It's just the principle of paying that much for like, a fleeting moment where you can try on the dress that annoys me.  If you can get any of it at all in store credit, that would definitely change my mind.

All 3 of the dresses you have a so nice though!  No matter what you pick, I bet it will be great.
  • Options
    carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    typically when a store ships a dress in for someone to try on that money goes towards the cost of the dress, if they buy it (i assume it goes towards anything if they want something else).
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... this is a tough one. Can you wait until June and call around again to see if any of the stores listed on the site have it in yet? I don't think I would pay $150 to try on a dress, and would never buy a dress without trying it on first. However, if you can talk to BB as md suggested and see if they could put the cost (150) toward one of the other two if this one doesnt work out, that's definitely what I would do.

Since you do have a bit of time, I would say definitely find a way to try it on. You don't want to have to wonder "what if" - it really stinks! So to sum my disjointed post up (lol) I say first talk to BB and discuss the $150 charge in terms of 'store credit' option if the Christina Wu doesn't look right - if that doesnt work, then I might just wait until June and call around again to the salons on the site to see if any got the dress in and then go to try it on from there.

GL and keep us posted on what you decide!
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    By the way - I think this one is gorgeous and is my favorite out of this and the other two you found!!! :)
  • Options
    LilyWater09LilyWater09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go for it!  Live without the regret.  And especially since it is under your budget. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, I'd probably wait until June until the closest store has it so you can try it on.   If the nearest store that currently carries it is 100+ miles away... ROAD TRIP!  :) Just make a weekend out of it... that is, if you are desperately wanting to try it on ASAP.  If you decide to wait untl June, at least you'll have the time to look around at other dresses and other options.  My wedding isn't until April 2012 and I don't have my heart set on a dress yet.  Actually I've only been one one dress-shopping trip thus far.  Just as long as I have my dress picked out by the end of summer, I think I'll be okay, and you will too. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally wouln't pay the $150--that's a lot of cash. 100 miles isn't that far away...I'd make it a day outing!

GL and yes, keep us posted!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This one is GORGEOUS! I would probably drop the $150 too, if that's any consolation! But, you do have time on your side (I haven't even looked yet) and it might not be a bad idea to put it on the back burner for a month or two then see if it's available nearby - but, again, I totally understand purchasing instant gratification! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_dress-dilemma-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:dcb1fa04-9b7b-4d0c-865c-6a4fce263856Post:7e1f0a4c-67f3-4ad4-b6ea-067efc5bdaa4">Re: Dress Dilemma (Long!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]By the way - I think this one is gorgeous and is my favorite out of this and the other two you found!!! :)
    Posted by gmc22[/QUOTE]

G, this does NOT help, lol. It's my favorite too :/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards