Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Thank You Note for Gifts that will be Returned...

I am in the process of finishing up my thank you notes from my shower two weeks ago (I'm late - but will be postmarking the all TODAY).  I ended up receiving 22 places settings opposed to the 12 requested place settings due to one aunt/cousins purchasing them from Macy's (not registered there) and another aunt/cousins purchasing them from Bed Bath and Beyond (off the registry).  I plan on returning the ones purchased at BBB - and replacing them with the knife set we would like as well as the guest room panels.  

At the shower - my aunt and cousins who purchased them from BBB recommended I return hers and get other things from the registry. When it comes to thank you notes - would you thank her for the place settings? Or would you thank her for the place settings and then tell her that you do plan on returning them and tell them what you plan on getting?

I'm leaning towards the latter - since it seems more honest.  But I wanted to see what the board has to say and I couldn't find another thread on this type of situation.

TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thank You Note for Gifts that will be Returned...

• Options
    I am in the process of finishing up my thank you notes from my shower two weeks ago (I'm late - but will be postmarking the all TODAY).  I ended up receiving 22 places settings opposed to the 12 requested place settings due to one aunt/cousins purchasing them from Macy's (not registered there) and another aunt/cousins purchasing them from Bed Bath and Beyond (off the registry).  I plan on returning the ones purchased at BBB - and replacing them with the knife set we would like as well as the guest room panels.  

At the shower - my aunt and cousins who purchased them from BBB recommended I return hers and get other things from the registry. When it comes to thank you notes - would you thank her for the place settings? Or would you thank her for the place settings and then tell her that you do plan on returning them and tell them what you plan on getting?

I'm leaning towards the latter - since it seems more honest.  But I wanted to see what the board has to say and I couldn't find another thread on this type of situation.

TIA!
    I'd write it for what she actually got you not for what you plan to do with it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I think if a gift giver specifically told you to return something and get something you can use, I would tell them what I ended up getting - some people like to come to your house down the road and know that they got you that blender/toaster/knife set.  

If you are returning a gift and the giver does NOT know, then I would thank them for the gift given and call it a day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Other than the aunt in question, I would thank them for the place setting. You are keeping 12 and if it were me I would still remember all the folks that got me place settings fondly when I used them. It's not necessary to explain that you received too many and you are returning the extra to buy knives. The explanation could offend someone who might mistake you as having registered for items you had no intention of keeping - even though this is not the case. Just thank them for it and if they ever come to dinner they'll never know that they aren't eating off the exact place setting they purchased ;-) GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I would write your aunt and cousins a card thanking them for their gift and for attending your shower.  I wouldn't mention anything about returning them, even though she was the one who recommended that.
  • Options
    Ditto PP's, I would thank her for the gift she purchased and for attending.  I wouldn't bring up returns or exchanges as it just doesn't seem necessary. 
  • Options

I agree with Grumbledore.  The aunt mentioned returning those place setting to the store and getting something else off the registry.  I would thank Aunt for the place settings and at her encouragement exchanged them for the knife block and curtains.  Also mention that you will think about her everyday you use the knife set.

Dear Aunt Sally,
    I greatly appreciate your generousity in getting me the place settings!  Since you encouraged me to return them for something else off the registry, I did just that and was able to get my knife set and guest room curtains!  It was great seeing you at the shower and I will remember you each day I use my new knife set!  I hope to see you at the wedding!
    Love,
    Schellzinator

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards