Getting in Shape

XP: Wii Fit / EA sports Active?

I also posted this on P & E, and don't often post on this board, and am actually already married, but thought you guys might be able to help.

We just got a Wii for christmas (soooo excited it's not even funny and have already downloaded 2 NES games, 1 sega, and 1 super NES, plus the games we bought). I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to buy either Wii Fit (we don't have a balance board yet and would have to get one) or EA sports Active.  I don't know if any extra equipment is necessary for EA Active. Which one is better/more fun? Are either helpful?

I'm going to join the Y in a few weeks to get most of my cardio and weightlifting in (hopefully), but I would really like something else active to do at home. I have a yoga mat and used to really enjoy yoga when I was still bendy, and still enjoy pilates, but am wondering if this would really be better than just working out with videos?
Leo says hi. He's...special.
Married
Planning

Re: XP: Wii Fit / EA sports Active?

• Im personally a big fan of the gym, better resources than a game at home in my opinion but... I dont particularly like working out at home so Im biased.
  • I don't have the EA Sports Active, but I have Wii Fit and Wii Biggest Loser.

It seems that the Wii Fit is a great supplemental workout (It works on balance, flexibility, and very, very, very light cardio). Depending on how in/out of shape you are will depend on what you get out of it. The Biggest Loser Wii Game is definitely a step up (exercise wise) from the Wii Fit.

Something is better than nothing, so if you're already going to sign up for the gym and WANT to get the Wii Fit..then it will work great for you, but Wii fit alone won't do too much.
  • We have a Wii Fit. I didn't really see that much of a difference in my weight loss, but it was something. And its fun to try and bet everyone else's high scores.
    I don't know anything about EA sports Active. But we also have a cardio one (not sure what it is exactly) and that one makes you sweat and you can program it to what you wanna do (yoga/cardio/strength) and if you wanna use weights or a balance ball.

Like someone else said, something is better then nothing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree Wii Fit is a good starting point for someone (like I was) who is really out of shape. It's great for beginners as a foundation for fitness. I have not used the EA Sports but read a lot of reviews of all the Wii fitness games. It sounds great and more of a work out for medium or advance people. I also read that the newer version More Workouts not only has more work outs but is improved so it is a little more accurate and has more ab work outs which was lacking form the original version. Also it has a 6 week challenge. I had decided I wanted this but Fi got me YourShape for XMas instead  because he liked the idea of the camera feedback.

On most websites I researched it seemed like EA Sports had the most challenging work outs.
  • I have both Wii Fit and EA Sports Active.
    I also have a gym membership and a personal trainer.

Wii fit has more "games" which makes it fun.  I find the balance board helps me to be aware of my body while I'm working out.  That I've found helpful.  It also gets me off the couch. 
    Shy of that I don't find it to be an effective workout.

My Active is new so I've only used it a couple of time.
    I was sore after my first 30min. workout!  There is a video that shows you how to do each move as well as how to hold the remote.
    You can choose a pre-programmed workout or customize your own.
    It includes a leg band that keeps track of your bottom half. 
    For me the biggest advantage of the Active is that you can play with 2 people.
    (they sell the additonal accessories for the 2nd person for $20). So I can work out with DH or a friend.  Most of this "game" feels more like a workout than a game, so it's not as much fun, but I'm finding it's more effective for off gym days. 

*** There are exercises that you can use the balance board for if you have it, but it's not necessary. 

HTH
  • I don't personally have either, but my sister was talking about the two on Christmas because she knows I want to lose weight and she said while Wii Fit can be fun and all, that EA Sports Active is a way better workout in her opinion and would be better for someone like me who is trying to lose weight.

• I have Wii fit...its good for cardio and a good time but other then that it really hasnt helped my weight loss.
  • I have the Wii Fit and the Wii Active. The Wii Fit is more "fun" with the games and such, but the Wii Active is a MUCH better workout as far as cardio goes. I can tell a difference.
  • I just got the Wii Fit Plus and I love it!  I love the Yoga and the balancing games and stuff like that.  I also like the fact that you take body tests to see your progress.  With the Wii fit plus you can actually have it as a channel on your start up menu that reminds you to workout if you get on Wii.  I used to have a gym membership however with two kids(one in diapers) it was very difficult to get there and pay for a babysitter.  It wasn't cost effective for me to continue my gym membership at this time.  This is the next best thing for me to do. 

Which ever you choose to get make sure you have fun doing it and stick with it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards