Canada-Ontario

The Berkley Church

Hi Everyone!

I'm just wondering if anyone has reviews about the Berkley Church, details about their catering, cost, etc. are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Rebecca

Re: The Berkley Church

• mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Rebecca
    The Berkely Church was our first choice for venue....but when we went to see it in the day time, we were not impressed.  My Fiance and I have been there for night events and thought it was really cool, but in the day it is a bit run down.  We were still open minded about the place but the guy we dealt with took too long to get back to us with a quote and did not respond to our emails.  For 150, the quote was around $21K F&B.  I am not sure about the food there but I hear it is good.

Hope you have better luck than us!
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm actually going to 2 weddings there this year. both are my close friends that don't know each other but happen to book at the berkely. from what they tell me it seems really nice and quite a popular spot if you don't want typical hall. they've both had tastings and tell me the food is good but not amazing. i'm pretty sure they mentioned that they let you bring your own alcohol with no corkage fee which is good. both their weddings are 150 guests too and had a similar quote to the PP.
  • edited December 2011
    i've never been, but i've read reviews that state the food is very poor.
    i have seen beautiful wedding photos from there though. 
  • ancavazancavaz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also considered the Berkeley church for a venue. My main problems were that it's not accessible so our older guests would have to tackle a lot of stairs, the wedding coordinator took way too long to answer emails, and if your guests plan to drive they have to find street parking nearby. It also a very popular venue so it books way in advance.

I heard the food is ok, but a friend of mine told me that there was a big difference between what they had at the tasting, and what they had at the wedding when they had to cook for 200 people.

The good thing is that you can provide the alcohol and save money and it's a really beautiful building so your photos will look really nice.
  • edited December 2011
    When I was wedding planning, I checked out the Berkley Church and absolutely loved it!  We didn't end up booking there though because we were concerned that our guests would have trouble affording a hotel in downtown Toronto and would feel uncomfortable in the Queen/Parliament area.

I felt it was the funkiest venue I've ever seen, and I love that you create the menu based on a price range of main ingredients.  I love that you can have a ceremony on a rooftop patio, and have couches out on the patio.

I went for a tasting there and although I only tried one appetizer, it was very very good :) A friend of mine has her wedding booked at the Berkley for September, and a friend of a friend got married there a couple months ago.

It sounds like it can get a bit pricey, but if you can afford it, it sounds like a great spot!
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm, interesting.  Thanks for all the responses everyone!  So the 21k quote for 150 people?  What did that include?  *lol*  We're thinking a cocktail reception, for 100.

The photos/look of the place is definitely the appeal, but if the foods not decent when you're paying that much (might be out of the budget anyway), it wouldn't be worth it.

Another thought we've had is Archeo in the Distillery District, any info. on this?

Thanks!
    Rebecca
  • mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The 21K included hors d'oeuvres, appetizer (salad), entree and dessert...I can't remember if a sweet table was included, plus alcohol for 150.  It was for a Sat night.  They had a bunch of other extra fees tacked on as well

If you want a detailed quote, ask the venue to put one together.

Cocktail party will be significantly less.  Archeo is beautiful from what I hear.  A friend of mine is considering that venue for a cocktail party. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards