Not Engaged Yet

I hate dieting!

So I've been dieting/exercising for a month now. I absolutely hate it! I really want to lose all of this extra weight before BF proposes but I feel like this should be going faster. I'm just frustrated with all of it. I'm stressed out with school and I eat when I'm stressed. Its so hard to avoid the temptation right now. But I've worked so hard to lose these 10 lbs I would break down if I gained it back. I just want to get back to the weight I was in high school (well actually 5 lbs less).

How do you girls stay motivated when you feel like you are giving up?

Re: I hate dieting!

• AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Man, I love food too much right now. Sorry I have no words of advice, but I admire your perseverance.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• edited December 2011
    I'm not a diet-er, so I don't really have suggestions, but just wanted to say, 10 pounds is a big deal!! Awesome job!! And keep it up!!!!
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to do a make over day. I haven't colored or cut my hair since August I think and I can't even remember the last time I had my nails done. I need some positive self-image right now. Losing weight is awesome and all but it takes SO until I can even notice a change and I think thats why I get discouraged.

• edited December 2011
    This might sound REALLY creepy, but  I have a file on my computer called motivation. It has pictures of women I consider to have amazing bodies, like Shania Twain, and some friends of mine who are very fit. 

It always makes me want to get my ass up and work out. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hate-dieting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:3015e4d4-50f6-4131-9901-8991d872222dPost:c1064245-c9cc-401e-9d5a-5a5ac3d299da">Re: I hate dieting!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This might sound REALLY creepy, but  I have a file on my computer called motivation. It has pictures of women I consider to have amazing bodies, like Shania Twain, and some friends of mine who are very fit.  It always makes me want to get my ass up and work out. 
    Posted by SeaTea02[/QUOTE]

Haha, I actually have something like that but its a file of all of the cute clothes I could buy when I lose all this weight. It is motivating to look at someone and say well I want to look like that.

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Having one meal off really helps - nutritionists actually usually recommend it.  When you're craving something bad, you can just say, "I have to wait until Saturday night."  By Saturday night, you might not even want it - but it helps make it more tolerable.

Also, finding healthy foods that feel like treats helps, too.  For me, fruit smoothies do that for me.  A bunch of fresh (or frozen) fruit and fat-free yogurt - delicious!

Otherwise, I really, really, really admire your hard work and discipline!  10 pounds is nothing to sneeze at, so keep going!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I'm not losing weight right now (not really working at it admittedly), but I've maintained my weight for over a year now.  I always have snacky type foods in the house - I like to munch, so I keep goldfish and animal crackers (not the frosted things) and quakes (mini rice cake things, super yummy - gives you that crunch and if you like cheese, the cheese all over your fingers without any of the guilt) and even popcorn.  The secret to any kind of snacky food is to put it into a smaller container (one serving full) before you leave the kitchen so you're not snacking on the whole container.  If you have trouble with that - get some snack-sized ziplocs and portion the package out as soon as you get it - you'd be surprised how big a portion really is for some things.

When my mom first lost all of her weight (and due to 2 knee replacement surgeries in under a year, unfortunately she put a good chunk of weight back on), she rewarded herself for exercising each day. She loves Hershey's kisses, so she would have about 5 a day as her reward.  She would just savor them and that really helped her stay on track.

Good luck!
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't diet but you can do it!!   10 pounds is a good amount.  I think the makeover day is a great idea. :)  You're beautitful girl (I can tell even by your tiny little picture) so don't you forget it :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

edited December 2011
    Thank you guys for all the support and ideas! Angie, I love your mom's idea of rewarding herself with a little treat for her successes. I LOVE recesses peanut butter cups and I haven't had one in a long time.

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Beth, ten pounds in a month is a lot!

Be sure you're not setting yourself up for failure with unrealistic goals and expectations. 

Just focus on healthy habits. For me, I have to have a routine but I have to have variety within that routine. So I make dinner at night and keep leftovers for work the next day. Bam. Two meals in one. But I try to keep trying new recipes, b/c I start to get sick of the same stuff. Work out at the same time in the morning, but change up my workout DVDs every couple of weeks.

I don't know if you're tracking your food intake, but the more I explore sparkpeople, the more I like it. 

healthy habits stuff here:

and inspirational people at these links:

HTH. You can do this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

edited December 2011
    Wow. Thanks desert! Those links are awesome! My goal is 2 lbs a week, its pretty reasonable but in the back of my mind I still wish it would go faster! lol.

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Beth, you are doing a great job! At 10 pounds you are likely already noticing small differences, I found that was helpful for me when I was losing weigh. Remember, you didn't put this weight on overnight and you can't take it off overnight. You are being healthy about it, 10 pounds over a month is healthy and you are giving your body time to adjust.

Here are some of my suggestions that I used when I was losing weight.

First, try not to view it as "dieting" try to put a more positive spin on it like you are making healthy lifestyle choices by eating better and exercising. I found focusing on a diet made it seem temporary for me, I gain weight really easily so I have to make my choices permanent.  

Second, is there something else you can try for stress relief? Otherwise it'll be harder to keep on track for you. it's a really good step to see areas where you have difficulty, you just need to work through them. Sorry, that is the weight watchers in me talking.     

Third, Cate's cheat meal or cheat day idea is a good one.

Last, try to make it fun. Try a new healthy recipe or try out a new veggie each week. Find an a new exercise or class that you love. Remember, not everyone is a gym monkey...if your thing is salsa dancing or rock climbing, embrace that. In other words, try to figure out how to not make it work.

Remember, you are doing a great job. Try small goals, maybe one every 10 pounds.

Hope that helps!

• SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hi Beth!  I totally feel ya.  I have about the same amount of weight as you to lose.  I have dieted a lot in the past and always gained back my weight plus some, so I was hesitant to do anything super restrictive this time.  I ended up joining Weight Watchers online and I don't feel deprived. 

Also, I read this book:

Click

It is really informative and helps you "reset" your thinking about food.  After reading it, I started paying more attention to the way I eat and am much healthier about it right now.

Good luck and be patient with yourself.  Smile
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have nothing to add except: GO BETH GO! 10 lbs is a great start!

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    10 pounds is AWESOME! Don't get discouraged, you're doing awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    me too, beth.  i'm really struggling with not stress-eating.  i am doing better than i was, but i'm just not exercising.  i just feel too depressed to do it by myself...  and FI, my normal exercise partner, is just waaaaaaaay too busy exercise with me all the time.  i know i need to just grow up and do it myself, but it's much easier to just climb in bed and sleep or watch a movie.

what kind of foods are you making/eating?  i need some inspiration.  i'm getting tired of the same old stuff all the time and it's making me eat bad things!  it's so much easier int he summer when i don't struggle with SAD and i can just waltz through the farmers market to pick up my fresh produce!
  • edited December 2011
    Your doing great Beth keep it up! I thought I did great when I lost 15 pounds in a year, your definitely loosing it much faster than I did! You are inspiring me to lose the rest of the weight I want to lose.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_hate-dieting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:3015e4d4-50f6-4131-9901-8991d872222dPost:c1064245-c9cc-401e-9d5a-5a5ac3d299da">Re: I hate dieting!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This might sound REALLY creepy, but  I have a file on my computer called motivation. It has pictures of women I consider to have amazing bodies, like Shania Twain, and some friends of mine who are very fit.  It always makes me want to get my ass up and work out. 
    Posted by SeaTea02[/QUOTE]

LMAO that is so funny! I have thought about cutting a few pictures out of mags and doing the same thing, but thought people whould think I was weird.  I am going to do it know!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Girl you are doing better than you think.  10lbs is REALLY good, if you lose to much to fast it is harder to keep off. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! I'm feeling much better about it today and sometime this week BF and I are going to try a new recipe for salmon that I found. I'm super excited about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards