Wedding Etiquette Forum

Can we talk cellphones?

Its time for a new one for me and I am wondering;

a) what phone do you have? do you love it? like it? hate it? WHY?

b) what kind of data plan do you have? how often do you use it?

Verizon has a little dohicky that estimates how much data usage you would accrue in a month but I like hearing from people.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Can we talk cellphones?

• I am going to definitely be lurking on this thread. H and I are both way past due for new cell phones and hope to get them soon. We don't have Verizon, but the info may still help.
  • I have the LG Ally. It's a version of the android I guess. I hate it only because I am very impatiently waiting on Verizon to get the iPhone. 

I have an unlimited data plan and I use it enough to justify having no limit.
  • I have a Blackberry Torch.  It's my first Blackberry and I love it. 

I have a 2G data plan and definitely use it enough to make it worth it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have an HTC phone and I really like it.  The only thing I HATE is that the stupid calendar doesn't have an option where you can dismiss the event, you have to delete it entirely.  An.noying.  I'm also lame because I don't have any internet on my phone.  Kind of defeats teh purpose of half the options for my phone, but what can you do?
  • I have the Blackberry Storm and HATE it!!! I am counting the days til I can get rid of it and Verizon. I am swiching to AT and T and getting an iphone on FI's plan as soon as my contract is up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-talk-cellphones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd071dc1-0093-42b6-bf50-bd42dac9c007Post:680b9842-007b-4ed8-bc1c-f5ecc311d57b">Re: Can we talk cellphones?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have the Blackberry Storm and HATE it!!! I am counting the days til I can get rid of it and Verizon. I am swiching to AT and T and getting an iphone on FI's plan as soon as my contract is up.
    Posted by Mary Susan and Chris[/QUOTE]

<div>What do you hate about the Storm?</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • FI says I'm abnormal but I hate touch screen phones - I find they hardly respond to my touch, even at most sensitive after calibration.  So I just upgraded to a Blackberry Curve 3G and I love it.  It's super fast and gives me the ability to download apps and all that other nonsense without having to wait 8million years like FI's phone (an LG chocolate touch).   FI is planning on upgrading to a Droid when his contract is up - right now he really likes the Droid 2.

My sister upgraded to the Blackberry Bold.  She said she likes the spacing of the buttons better and feels like the screen is bigger.  We both have the unlimited data plan, which costs about $30/month but is nice because we don't have to worry about going over anything.

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have the droid x and I love it! I bought it the day it came out and have had no issues with it. Before my droid, I had the Blackberry Tour. Awesome BB in my opinion. The reason I switched is because I wanted the touch screen, the larger screen, and I prefer the full browser rather than the mobile one. I also now prefer the android OS as well. I was originally planning on switching to the iphone when verizon got it, but IMHO I think my droid is a million times better. Any questions, just ask!! I have an unlimited data plan. It is 30 bucks a month extra, but totally with it. I love being able to do everything on my phone whenever I want. And I use the internet so much, if it wasn't unlimited, I would totally go over.
  • I am very much torn between a Blackberry and an Driod. I think I will make my decision when I go into the store and actually play with them. 
  • A major part in my decision was what I do on my phone. I mostly use it to surf the web, FB, and stuff like that. If I was using the phone more for business I would prefer to have a blackberry. The way its set up I feel works better for that. There also isn't as many apps as the android market, which is another thing to consider! I also would read the reviews on verizon's website. They were very helpful for me when I was picking between Blackberrys. Checking them out in the store is a good idea though! Good luck!
  • a) what phone do you have?  I have the LG EnV 3  do you love it? like it? hate it? WHY?  I like it well enough.  It works, I can text on it, it takes decent pictures for a phone

b) what kind of data plan do you have? I do not have a data plan because I refuse to pay the extra $30/month how often do you use it?  H has internet on his phone because he's on a family plan with his parents and sister still because it's cheaper and we use it maybe twice a month?  Only if we're out and need to look something up.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • I have an iPhone, with unlimited data.  I use it for everything- camera, calendar, email, internet, games... I love it like whoa. 
  • a) what phone do you have? do you love it? like it? hate it? WHY?
    I have an iPhone 3GS and I love it. I love being able to easily surf the web and use the various apps like Kindle and Netflix. My boss as a Google Android and he loves it too. I'm a web developer, so it's nice to be able to test mobile features that we make for clients and stuff.

b) what kind of data plan do you have? how often do you use it?
    I am grandfathered in to the old $30/unlimited data plan with ATT&T.

However, I would probably go with the $25 data plan (the middle one) if I were to get a new plan today. The only thing I'd have to find out is if I could get my work email using that plan, because I've heard some of my coworkers couldn't access work email anymore on the cheaper data plans. I use my data and text message plan a LOT more than my minutes.

I might be getting FI an iPhone for his birthday and if so, he would probably choose the cheapest data plan because he wouldn't use it all the time like I do.
  • I have a Blackberry Pearl flip (the one from the no more butt dialing commercial). I like the idea of it, but it has some really annoying issues. It'll decide randomly that the SIM card isn't inserted. Or that the SIM is corrupt. Popping out the battery and removing/reinserting the SIM card at least 5 times a week (sometimes all within an hour) is driving me crazy.

It's with T-Mobile and I am happy with their service. No one but TM gets service in my apartment for some reason. And this is the only phone I have (no landline). I've traveled with it and I don't get great reception on the Maryland coast, but Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, etc. it's fine.

Unlimited data plan with 1000 texts. Unlimited calling plan (loyalty). I'll keep the plan I have and upgrade to a better phone as soon as my two years is up.
    planning

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-talk-cellphones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd071dc1-0093-42b6-bf50-bd42dac9c007Post:db78cf11-f8a6-46dd-a73d-868e3e88962e">Re: Can we talk cellphones?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am very much torn between a Blackberry and an Driod. I think I will make my decision when I go into the store and actually play with them. 
    Posted by Rosie109[/QUOTE]

I would vote Droid between those two. All Droid users that I know love them.
  • I just got a Droid Incredible from Verizon...it was my renewal phone and for $50 why not?

I got the unlimited data plan, and lowered my min to 450 and have unlimited texts.

At first it was different since I didn't have a smart phone but I really do love it.
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • I got the HTC Incredible in September and I LOVE it.  I use the data a LOT.  I have Verizon service and it works places H's AT&T doesn't.  I have a $30 unlimited data plan, and I love not having to worry about going over so it's worth it to me for that alone.  Now that I'm working off shift (2nd and 3rd) I have been playing Pandora radio through my phone, which uses a ton of data.
  • I haz a blackberry curve.  I love it.  Life without Blackberry messenger would blow.

My husband, sister, and all but a couple super close friends have it.  We can chat anytime.  We can have group convos.  We can send pictures through it.  It's just so awesome.

I'd love an iphone, but I can't give up BBM. 

Our plans and data packages are different in Canada so for me to tell you my bill is $89 a month wouldn't do much to help you.  You'll probably pay at least $20 less than I do.  My plan didnt change when I got my BB. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-talk-cellphones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd071dc1-0093-42b6-bf50-bd42dac9c007Post:f794119d-0703-4d54-ac2a-7f6dec4523bc">Re: Can we talk cellphones?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Life without Blackberry messenger would blow.
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I just wish more of my friends would get a BB now.
  • I have the HTC Droid on Verizon.  Previously, I had a Blackberry (the World Edition one from a couple years ago) for work.  H has had two different BBs for work. 

I'd take the Droid over all of them, any day.  It's 10x better.  It's faster, easier, everything. 

I haven't had an iphone personally, but have several friends who have them, and they all have complaints.  I've not had any of those same issues.  The ONLY thing the iphone is ahead on, IMO, is apps, and Droid gets more daily.  Right now I need Chase (the bank) to get on board with the Droid platform, but that's the only thing I feel like I'm missing at all.  And that's nowhere near enough to make me change phones.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I have a Samsung Rogue (touch screen, slide out keyboard).  I have 450 minutes and unlimited text.  I pay $5 a month for a very small data plan since my phone requires a data plan.  

From what I've seen with Verizon phones...

If you KNOW you want data for the life of your 2 year contract, you're fine getting a phone that requires a data plan.  

If you aren't sure if you'll use the data plan (or never had a phone with internet / email before), you might try a phone where the data plan isn't required or is an option.  

I'm blessed since most of my contacts also have phones through Verizon, so I end up using like 150 minutes a month since Verzon-to-Verizon calls are free. 

Hope this helps! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • I have the Palm Pre on Sprint.  I loved it when I first got it, but now I'm kind of bored with it (I think I just have phone envy since J recently got the HTC Evo).  My favorite part about the Pre is that it has a physical keyboard that slides out.

I haven't had any problem with cell service and when it comes to pricing I think Sprint is the most reasonable.  When we were shopping around it was the only network that allowed us to have both shared voice and shared unlimited data.  Only $130/month for both of us.

I use a blackberry when I travel internationally for work because my Pre doesn't work overseas.  I'm not a fan of it.  My next phone will without a doubt be a Droid.
    Anniversary
  • kcscejalkcscejal member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I have the iPhone 4 and I love it. I have the unlimited data plan.  I use it for everything, especially facebook and e-mail.  I could drop down my data plan because so many places have free wi-fi, but it's not much more to have it unlimited so I left it when I upgraded phones.
  • I have two blackberrys, a curve (t-mobile) for personal use and a bold (at&t) for work. I can't really tell the difference between the two. They both work well, the email is really easy, and bbm is great. I don't browse the web all that much but I do know some websites are much more bb compatible with others. I do covet FI's iphone though. When we eventually get off our families plans and get our own I think I want that.
  • I have the Droid 2 and I love it so far. My only complaint is that the alarms are really quiet, but as long as you have a separate alarm clock (I don't) it shouldn't matter. I've been with Verizon since 2003 and haven't had any problems with them. Also, a lot of people don't realize you can sometimes get discounts through work, so check on that too. I get 20% off my plan and accessories with Verizon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh I forgot about the data plan part. I have to have the unlimited since it's a Droid, but I'm sure I use it more than enough to make it worth it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_can-talk-cellphones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd071dc1-0093-42b6-bf50-bd42dac9c007Post:94e971c4-f87c-4334-94a9-37a5fa3d52ed">Re: Can we talk cellphones?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI says I'm abnormal but I hate touch screen phones - I find they hardly respond to my touch, even at most sensitive after calibration. 
    Posted by sweetpea0911[/QUOTE]

I hate touch screen typing; that's one reason I'm sticking with my Droid or the Droid 2  at renewal and not the Droid X, still has a real keyboard.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• In response to:
    What do you hate about the Storm?

It has been nothing but trouble since I got it. It is constantly freezing and has software issues. I have taken it in for service mutiple times and they have even admited that they can't fix it. So I would never buy another phone or verizon product after this one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mary Susan do you have the quickpull software downloaded on your storm?  That has worked wonders for mine.  And most people that I know who hate their storm don't use that program.

I have the Storm right now and loved it when I got it.  I still very much like it, but since I have the original storm it has very little application memory on it which drives me nuts.  I'm also do for a new phone next month so I'm just getting the new phone itch.  But I definitely liked having the storm and everything a blackberry can do.  I can't wait for the iphone to come out in January, and I will definitely be the person who stands in line for it.

I have the unlimited data plan for $30 a month through Verizon.  And then I also think I have $10 a month for texting.  Mostly everyone I know has verizon so I don't use many outside network texts ever. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a blackberry curve. I had an 8330 and I upgraded to an 8530 last month, lol. This one is faster and has the touchpad instead of the track ball. I like it a lot.

I have an unlimited data plan with verizon, 2500 text messages a month and 450 minutes of air time. I pay about $107 I think.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards