African American Weddings

What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?

I stole this topic from my month board and the story I shared was one that I wanted to tell you ladies about.....

Well.... I haven't "seen" this, but FI was just asked to be in his cousin's wedding next May.  The prospective groom told his 5 GMs that they would be on a payment plan to give him $100 a month from now until May... get this.... TO PAY FOR HIS BRIDE'S WEDDING BAND!!!  WTF????  Dude was dead serious.  That would be about $5k.  His @ss better catch a blue light special at the K-Mart jewelry counter.
That has got to be the ghetto-est wedding request of the century.  I couldn't believe he had the nerve to TELL them (not ASK) that they had to pay for her ring.  I told FI if he gives him one dime in response to that demand, our wedding is off because he has surely lost his mind.  No worries, FI was ready to cuss his cousin out.  Some people have a lot of nerve. 

Ok...... whatcha got???  I need a good laugh.  

Re: What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?

• edited December 2011
    I thought I had seen some things in my day, but this ish right here takes the cake!  Your FI should tell his cousin to get his FI one of those free wedding bands that you only have to pay the shipping for and stay out of other people's pockets.  Not hating on the free rings, but the nerve to ask someone to pay for your wife ring.  That deserves a penalty flag waiting to be thrown.
    Anniversary
  • TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tackiest-wedding-related-thing-ever-seenheard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:f967cf53-4cfe-4d06-b2f8-73fe231b2bd0Post:2f00e427-6a16-433a-8384-5d089d73440d">What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I stole this topic from my month board and the story I shared was one that I wanted to tell you ladies about..... Well.... I haven't " seen " this, but FI was just asked to be in his cousin's wedding next May.  The prospective groom told his 5 GMs that they would be on a payment plan to give him $100 a month from now until May... get this.... TO PAY FOR HIS BRIDE'S WEDDING BAND!!!   WTF????   Dude was dead serious.  That would be about $5k.  <strong>His @ss better catch a blue light special at the K-Mart jewelry counter.</strong> That has got to be the ghetto-est wedding request of the century.  I couldn't believe he had the nerve to TELL them (not ASK) that they had to pay for her ring.  I told FI if he gives him one dime in response to that demand, our wedding is off because he has surely lost his mind.  No worries, FI was ready to cuss his cousin out.  Some people have a lot of nerve.  Ok...... whatcha got???  I need a good laugh.  
    Posted by simbidi[/QUOTE]

<div>LMAO!!!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I love it!! I have not seen it but most of the weddings on bridezillas are really tacky!  Well I guess dsince the bride is tacky her wedding would be too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tackiest-wedding-related-thing-ever-seenheard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:f967cf53-4cfe-4d06-b2f8-73fe231b2bd0Post:9ea4b3ec-3dfd-44b4-8cb5-7e0c011eca7b">Re: What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love it!! I have not seen it but most of the weddings on bridezillas are really tacky!  Well I guess dsince the bride is tacky her wedding would be too!
    Posted by Ksk2012[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly!

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• edited December 2011
    DED, mouth hanging open... Nothing beats that. NOTHING!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't seen anything in person that is extremely tacky but I have to agree that one of the episodes of Bridezilla was tacky when the GMs carried the bride down the aisle sitting in a chair. She thought she was Cleopatra. I felt bad for the GMs because she was not a petite woman.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw on bridezillas once where the bride changed dresses about 7 or 8 times, but didnt have enough in her budget to provide seats for all her guests, so some of them had to be outside the reception venue --- still SMH at that one

@simbidi - I don't think anything will ever top yours. The nerve of people!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

I think its tacky how the Bridezilla ladies treat their bridal party like their personal slaves....thats taking things too far! Like one girl barely did one favor, said she was tired, grabbed a glass of wine and watched her fiance and moh finish them...crazy!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh wow, no words, on that one!  I don't know if this is tacky to everyone but I received an invite to a wedding one time that had something like the following message enclosed:

As we (the couple) have everything we need, we ask for cash donations to help us start out on our dreams...

I just thought that was not cool at all, no registry?? Just blatantly asking for cash?!? Booo...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    lmao!!!! yall have me over here ROLLING ... lol. I remember that episode of bridezilla where the bride sat around while her FI and mom did the favors. lol
    I havent been to any weddings where i just said "what the HELL" but i am enjoying reading this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker When you are in love you cant fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~ Dr Seuss
  • edited December 2011
    Begging for money is the biggest thorn in my side when it comes to weddings.  If people have everything they need, then don't ask for any gifts at all.  If you don't make a request, people who are inclined to give with make a choice on their own on what ti give.  If it's your culture to give money people already know to do so.  
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tackiest-wedding-related-thing-ever-seenheard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:f967cf53-4cfe-4d06-b2f8-73fe231b2bd0Post:db3e1cdf-fc5c-47e6-8720-435265cad0e5">Re: What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh wow, no words, on that one!  I don't know if this is tacky to everyone but I received an invite to a wedding one time that had something like the following message enclosed: <font color="#ff0000">As we (the couple) have everything we need, we ask for cash donations to help us start out on our dreams</font>... I just thought that was not cool at all, no registry?? Just blatantly asking for cash?!? Booo...
    Posted by SunnyBB[/QUOTE]

I hate those little poems.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding once where the bride made small tween girls and boys act as waitstaff....The same bride later stood up to do the dollar dance, while licking porkchop grease off of her fingers. 

Another time, the bride and groom served the guests punch and cake in the parking lot of the church, while they chowed down on BBQ rib plates. Keep in mind this took place in Florida in the middle of July..

Another couple selected a family friend to do the honors of "organizing the registry" . Her duty consisted of calling guests in advance to make sure that you were going to bring a gift and getting you to commit to purchasing off the registry only. She actually said to my mom, "Let me put you down for towels. And you need to buy the entire set, not just wash cloths".  
  • island07b2bisland07b2b member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    @smibidi - Ohhh....uh...ummm...that $100/mo request was very "special".   Cuz has lost his dang mind!  He hasn't come back to say that was a joke yet?

@winniethepiglet - Woo Lawd - all three of the scenarios you posted are a hot mess.  LOL!!

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tackiest-wedding-related-thing-ever-seenheard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:f967cf53-4cfe-4d06-b2f8-73fe231b2bd0Post:44925415-73f4-4bcd-9bfb-11ee2dba9e07">Re: What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a wedding once where the bride made small tween girls and boys act as waitstaff....The same bride later stood up to do the dollar dance, while licking porkchop grease off of her fingers.  Another time, the bride and groom served the guests punch and cake in the parking lot of the church, while they chowed down on BBQ rib plates. Keep in mind this took place in Florida in the middle of July.. Another couple selected a family friend to do the honors of "organizing the registry" . Her duty consisted of calling guests in advance to make sure that you were going to bring a gift and getting you to commit to purchasing off the registry only. She actually said to my mom, <font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff0000">"Let me put you down for towels. And you need to buy the entire set, not just wash cloths".  </font>
    Posted by winniethepiglet[/QUOTE]

<div>Registry coordinator???  WOW!!!!</div>
  • Vonetra224Vonetra224 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow I'm speechless...

@SunnyBB:
    OMG.....Now that's tacky!!! Recently I received an email to check out a wedding website  (my fsil by the way) and I came across a little section asking to pay for her honeymoon.. smh

@winniethepiglet: LOL now that's crazy!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Don't marry the person you can live with, marry the person you can't live without."
  • edited December 2011
    I hate the Bridezilla weddings and I also hate when the ENTIRE party takes off their shoes (women) and everyone has on flip flops :/
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG How did I miss this post

My worst wedding was last year I went to a wedding that didn't start on time and while we were waiting in the sanctuary of the church they were playing music off an ipod which I am all for but it was Nicki Minaj right through me with the curse words included .

While this non-church music was playing half of the bridal party was in the back of the church rehearsing how to walk down the aisle in front of the guests.WTF. Also in this same wedding the invitation did not have reception information included so one of the older guests was running around trying to tell people where to go for the reception.

We get to said reception and the room is set up for about 150 with only about 60 people in attendance.

See what poor planning gets you a hotghettomess.com

Now I get to hang my head in shame cause I bought my girls flip flops to change in to after the important parts of the reception they will be in heels from 1 til about 9 really non-stop so i thought I was doing a good thing now I must rethink my plan :(
  • chescamchescam member
    edited December 2011
    @Simbidi, I don't think anything can top yours. I saw one episode of four weddings where the groom rapped his vows to his wife and then had their little son do some sort of rap right after. Just tacky. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Vonetra224Vonetra224 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tackiest-wedding-related-thing-ever-seenheard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:f967cf53-4cfe-4d06-b2f8-73fe231b2bd0Post:fa4c6c56-ada4-4391-b64b-1e0247a91348">Re: What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Simbidi, I don't think anything can top yours<strong>. I saw one episode of four weddings where the groom rapped his vows to his wife and then had their little son do some sort of rap right after. Just tacky. </strong>
    Posted by chescam[/QUOTE]

LOL  I remember that episode.. smh
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Don't marry the person you can live with, marry the person you can't live without."
  • edited December 2011

Wow at all of these!!! Surprised I was in a wedding and they ran out of food before we (the bridal party could eat).  Me and a fellow BM had to share a seat while we made the best of the leftover food. Apparently they ran out of seats and food because a few too many people did not RSVP!!

• edited December 2011
    We got an invitation to FBIL's wedding (which they set for 2 weeks before ours, don't get me started) and at the bottom it says "In lieu of gifts we will be accepting monetary donations". It says that EXACTLY. I was like well dayum, and yawl didn't even spell my name right, hmmmph! Monetary my foot!
  • FabbiegirlFabbiegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tackiest-wedding-related-thing-ever-seenheard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:f967cf53-4cfe-4d06-b2f8-73fe231b2bd0Post:fa4c6c56-ada4-4391-b64b-1e0247a91348">Re: What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Simbidi, I don't think anything can top yours. I saw one episode of four weddings where the groom rapped his vows to his wife and then had their little son do some sort of rap right after. Just tacky. 
    Posted by chescam[/QUOTE]

Ha!  I remember this episode.  I did not like their wedding.  lol
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tackiest-wedding-related-thing-ever-seenheard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:f967cf53-4cfe-4d06-b2f8-73fe231b2bd0Post:2f00e427-6a16-433a-8384-5d089d73440d">What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I stole this topic from my month board and the story I shared was one that I wanted to tell you ladies about..... Well.... I haven't " seen " this, but FI was just asked to be in his cousin's wedding next May.  The prospective groom told his 5 GMs that they would be on a payment plan to give him $100 a month from now until May... get this.... TO PAY FOR HIS BRIDE'S WEDDING BAND!!!   WTF????   Dude was dead serious.  That would be about $5k.  His @ss better catch a blue light special at the K-Mart jewelry counter. That has got to be the ghetto-est wedding request of the century.  I couldn't believe he had the nerve to TELL them (not ASK) that they had to pay for her ring.  I told FI if he gives him one dime in response to that demand, our wedding is off because he has surely lost his mind.  No worries, FI was ready to cuss his cousin out.  Some people have a lot of nerve.  Ok...... whatcha got???  I need a good laugh.  
    Posted by simbidi[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely crazy.  I could not imagine.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_tackiest-wedding-related-thing-ever-seenheard?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:f967cf53-4cfe-4d06-b2f8-73fe231b2bd0Post:44925415-73f4-4bcd-9bfb-11ee2dba9e07">Re: What is the tackiest wedding-related thing you have ever seen/heard?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a wedding once where the bride made small tween girls and boys act as waitstaff....The same bride later stood up to do the dollar dance, while licking porkchop grease off of her fingers.  Another time, the bride and groom served the guests punch and cake in the parking lot of the church, while they chowed down on BBQ rib plates. Keep in mind this took place in Florida in the middle of July.. Another couple selected a family friend to do the honors of "organizing the registry" . Her duty consisted of calling guests in advance to make sure that you were going to bring a gift and getting you to commit to purchasing off the registry only. She actually said to my mom, "Let me put you down for towels. And you need to buy the entire set, not just wash cloths".  
    Posted by winniethepiglet[/QUOTE]

LMBO!!!!!  Too funny!
      I hate I missed this when it was posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards