Catholic Weddings

Marriage Encounter Weekend: Yes or No?

Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if any of you have been on a marriage encounter weekend? What were your thoughts and impressions? Was it helpful for you and your husband? How long had you been married before you went? Or just any thoughts in general for the subject? I'm thinking it might be nice for me and the hubby to go....just curious.

Thanks!

Re: Marriage Encounter Weekend: Yes or No?

• I've never been to one, but wish we had the opportunity.  I've been married a little over six months, so I'm a newlywed.  My husband kissed his ex-girlfriend (who I didn't even know existed) five months after we were married.

I think you should go because it's never too early to re-connect.  I didn't realize things could go so wrong so early.  But they can.

Not trying to be depressing, but you should go.
  • I don't ever pass up a chance to connect with my H on a deeper level- you can never strengthen your marriage "too much". If you can go, you should.
    Anniversary
  • edited November 2012
    If I had the chance I would. I can't imagine it being anything but good for your marriage. I hope you get a chance to do it, and let us know how it went. I would love to know! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it would be a nice idea!  If there's no reason not to (financial, schedule, etc), then I don't see why not!  I've heard good things about it.

• yes yes yes yes yes!   We did an engagement encounter weekend about a month ago.  It was wonderful.  My FI is not catholic and I was worried he would feel pressured to convert, or uncomfortable.  It brought us so much closer together, which I never knew could happen with just a weekend!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm also curious - anyone who is saying "go," are you sure it will be beneficial for a "recently married" couple? Or is the retreat geared towards people who have been married awhile?
    Anniversary
  • I have only been married for over a month but DH and I LOVED Pre-Cana and do want to do a Marriage Encounter.  There is one nearby this month but DH works in politics, so he's just a tiny bit busy.  Maybe in the spring.

The priest that married us said that our culture is, in general, against what we were doing (getting married) and having a faithful marriage.  I tend to agree so I feel any gift the Church can give us to reinforce our commitment with God, then I would take it.
    PitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary
  • I loved our day-long pre-cana; my now-husband was openminded.

I've heard that encounter weekends are obvioulsy more intense--are they geared towards couples who are both Catholic? Does it matter?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards