Delaware

Intro to the board

Hi Everyone,

My name is Cheronda and my fiance is Ken. We are newly engaged. We have been together three years. We moved to Newport last September. We would like to get married in Delaware. Any suggestions for reception sites? We just recently visited Bellevue Hall and Cauffiel House.  Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Cheronda

Re: Intro to the board

• dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board!

• edited December 2011
    I booked the Clarion Hotel in New Castle for my reception venue.  Their prices are pretty good... and the ballrooms are GORGEOUS.  They just renovated the entire property, so it looks pretty snazzy.  Their website is http://www.clarionbelle.com if you want to check it out.  

You can also check out Waterfall Conference Center in Claymont.  I've been to business meetings there, and it's pretty nice.  Also Ed Oliver's Golf Club just renovated their club house, and they have a really large deck which would be nice for pictures.  Ed Oliver's (formerly known as Porky's) was our #2 choice.

Welcome to the board, and welcome to Delaware! 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • JennLonginoJennLongino member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Welcome! I'm new too! I have an appointment scheduled for Bellevue Hall next week. How was it?

• edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations!

I am getting married at Executive Banquet, down in Newark off of 896.  It's pretty inside, the food is delish, and it's one of the least inexpensive locations in northern DE.

First off, what is your budget, and how many are you estimating attending?  Those are the two questions you will want to answer before you decide on a venue; if you pick a venue that can hold less than 100 but you end up with 150, it's not an easy fix!  Likewise, you want to make sure that you can afford all the costs assiciated with the venue.

I looked at Bellevue briefly, but nixed it very quickly.  First, you have to bring in everything yourself; catering (there apparently is a list of approved caterers now, whcih there wasn't when I looked), dishes, chairs, tables, etc.  It quickly can become daunting, and expensive.  Second, if you have a bigger wedding, it will have to be tented at Bellevue, which raises issues there; if you have a smaller wedding, the layout of the house does not allow for all your guests to be together for dinner/dancing (which some like, but can cause problems when you do your cake cutting and such, since guests are not right there to see and hear it happening, they may miss it).  Finally, I have heard that the upkeep at bellevue isn't that great lately.

I would encourage you to ask the board for ideas on places.  Do you want something rustic, a hotel, a ballroom?  Think about the feel of your wedding, and your budget.  I would also encourage you to think about "all inclusive" venues; these locations will often include things like your cake, linens, open bar and bar tenders, centerpeices, and other items depending on the venue.  This translates to more bang for your buck (as most DE venues on the whole are more expensive!).

If you want a farmhouse/whimisical rustic feel, check out The Farmhouse; it's an old converted farmhouse with a secluded outdoor ceremony site.  There is also The Stone Barn in Kennett Square that is an old converted barn that is gorgeous.
  • cmacc00cmacc00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved it.  The manor has the type of character I love. It has that old hollywood style.  I want tp have a wedding of 50. Thanks for the suggestions. 

You brought up very good points and I am looking into it now.  It is a lot to take in.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at The Farmhouse near Delaware Park.  It is perfect for a small wedding (100 and under).  They include everything!  It has a Victorian Country feel.  The only downside is the dance floor is small.  www.thefarmhousede.com
  • cmacc00cmacc00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This has been recommended to me before. I will given them a call. 

• Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and congrats on the recent engagement! I'm not to far from you in Woodcrest I moved there 1 1/2 yrs ago.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cmacc00cmacc00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How do you like so far?  I lived in NJ all my life. I lived in North Jersey to South Jersey.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards