Catholic Weddings

What to do with the Catholic "gap" between ceremony and reception?

2»

Re: What to do with the Catholic "gap" between ceremony and reception?

• jazzybaccjazzybacc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-gap-between-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0843d0e9-be69-41ea-a1cf-5a7262d69a4fPost:a07fefb8-ec52-4316-a577-47f373293f5c">Re: What to do with the Catholic "gap" between ceremony and reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]the church offers ample reception days and times - just not during mass times which of course often fall on saturday nights.  i have been told that back in the day, Catholics were always married before noon.  i'm actually surprised, OOT, that knowing your general age demographic that you have "never" been to a wedding other than in the evening.  the church also has to make sure they have times available for funerals and baptisms.  weddings arent the only sacrament given at church.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I understand that some churches are flexible, but the ONLY time we were allowed to get married was at 2PM and the only time our reception can start is at 6PM.  Gap is unavoidable for us.  Perhaps it was presumptuous to say "Catholic gap" but most weddings I've gone to which have gaps were Catholic weddings.  Call it naivety, but maybe OP just didn't know that other "Non-Catholics" also have gaps, or some Catholics don't have gaps.

I'm looking forward to the gap because it gives us time to have "Us time" as a couple right after being married.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree that it shouldn't be the "Catholic" gap because gaps occur in non-Catholic and/or secular ceremonies as well. Also, it is likely that the gap is caused by the reception halls' schedules just as much (if not more than) the church's schedule.

And, yes, the church allows you to get married any day of the week, but if you are considering your guests' comfort (which is the whole point), a weekend wedding is preferable. So, you're back to Saturday and Sunday. Not every church has a reception location to spare. And many that I have seen are really not ideal. Metal folding chairs, no AC... again, if considering your guests' comfort, you'd prefer something else.

I agree that having a gap, simply because you want time for pictures, or just  you're not interested in conceding in anyway, is a bit rude. But, I don't think that 1-2 hour gaps, if the guests are made comfortable, are ruder than having a Friday evening wedding where guests need to take off of work. I think many guests would prefer a gap to having just cake and punch at the church hall directly after the ceremony.

While I don't think a gap is ideal, I don't think it is a black or white thing.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-gap-between-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:0843d0e9-be69-41ea-a1cf-5a7262d69a4fPost:a07fefb8-ec52-4316-a577-47f373293f5c">Re: What to do with the Catholic "gap" between ceremony and reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]the church offers ample reception days and times - just not during mass times which of course often fall on saturday nights.  i have been told that back in the day, Catholics were always married before noon.  i'm actually surprised, OOT, that knowing your general age demographic that you have "never" been to a wedding other than in the evening.  the church also has to make sure they have times available for funerals and baptisms.  weddings arent the only sacrament given at church.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Nope, hasn't happened.

The last 4 weddings I've attended on the North Shore have been between 1 and 2:30 PM with the receptions in Boston.  At least 2 hours later.  One was at 7 PM with a reception starting at 9PM.  I thought that was a bit on the late side for he elderly guests though.

lol, the weddings before noon went out around the time of Vatican II.  I'm not THAT old.

Should I be offended here?
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    oh Calypso, I agree with you 99% of the time...but I'm just not sure that trying to get people to stop calling it a "Catholic gap" is a battle you're going to win... ;-)

However, for those who REALLY want a Catholic Saturday wedding in the late afternoon, try looking for a student parish! The one in my city doesn't have Saturday afternoon Mass in the summer (when all the students are gone) just so they can have weddings!
    Anniversary
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    lol, the weddings before noon went out around the time of Vatican II.  I'm not THAT old.

Should I be offended here?

i hope you arent offended!!  i just know that you are a MOB, so i figured at least in your youth you might have attended some daytime weddings.  im *guessing* you are in your early 50's, but you dont have to tell me. 
  • edited December 2011
    here's another idea, something fun/light-hearted, if it fits your style... create a 'scavenger hunt' of sorts for your guests...give them a list of fun places and have them take their picture in front of it (or have them pick 3 of 6 options, etc) .... anyone that completes it gets a little prize. 

again, probably won't be for everyone, so no worries if it's not for you (-:
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Vatican II was 1963, I hadn't even had my first communion at that point.

My age or the age I was married isn't a point here.  Your posts about gaps are rude and inflexible.  Life (and weddings) just don't fall into that category.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards