Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

late night snack ideas?

Hi everyone,
Any ideas for late night snacks near the end of the reception? Are they even necessary?

Re: late night snack ideas?

• They are not necessary.  It seems like some couples use the late night snack to incorporate some of their favorite snack foods--sliders, pizza, popcorn, etc.  If you decide to have it, I wouldn't have all sweet things.  If you've already served dessert, people might be more in the mood for something more savory after a night of drinking and dancing.  
  • definitely not necessary, but a nice touch. i went to a wedding where the late night buffet was poutine, chicken wings and a wing/barbecue sauce fountain. delicious!
  • I think for longer receptions it would be a nice touch. After discussing it with my FI (I'm learning The Knot lingo!), our reception won't really require it and we would rather save the money to spend on something else! :) 
  • Our buffet included a deli/cheese tray, so we asked for it to be held back and served at 10:00 pm insted of with dinner, plus the venue put out the desserts that hadn't been eaten.  I'd asked about them making us a big bowl of popcorn, but it was going to cost 60 (SIXTY!) dollars.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • They are not necessary, but depending on your budget and the length of your reception, they are a nice touch as everyone has said. We wanted to do it for our guests, but we had a LOT of sliders left, LOL. My son took it to the hotel to eat with his friends.

Many people do this for receptions that are ending later in the evening to give the guests something to eat before heading out after drinking a lot. I also think things like donut holes & breakfast pastries are fun, with a coffee station that has carry out cups for the road.

I went to a reception that served large square pizzas cut into squares for the guests later at night. But these things were never announced, so many people did not know they were there.
  • It's definitely not necessary, and my dad thinks is ridiculous that we're doing it -- although we're doing it on a very small scale. Our reception ends at 11, and dinner ends around 7:45pm, so around 9 or 9:30 we're going to put out boxes of different flavored popcorn and rice krispie treats. Popcorn is my FI's go to snack and rice krispie treats are my favorite sweet treat ever. We thought it was a cute way to incorporate more of us into the reception food and give everyone a little something to help soak up the open bar.

photo KimberlyWedding_zps9ece9155.jpg
  • I think this is a very nice idea.  Friends of our's who were married a couple years ago did it and it went over very well.  They also said that it is the thing they most recommend anyone else doing.  It keeps people happy, and their stomachs happy.  Anouncing it would be a good idea though.
    If your caterer doesn't have a separate option for it, even having the left overs of the meal and desserts might be good (assuming they, or your group can clean it all up later).  Any homemade cheese plates and some chips and salsa may even be a good option if you don't think it "clashes" with your theme too much. Though, at that late hour, would any one mind? :)
  • My brother and sister-in-law had Krispy Kreme donuts and White Castles at the end of their reception.  It was a huge hit, but definitely not necessary!
    Anniversary
  • I went to a reception where they had homemade chex mix set out for the dance and it was so nice!  I'm a salts craver so it was nice to have something to snack on.  I wouldn't get too crazy with snack trays and buffets and such, just some chips or crackers.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Not necessary.

We had a big BBQ set up on the patio and the caterers did BBQed hot dogs, sausages, and veggie dogs.  Inside we served wedding cake, pastries, cookies, and fruit.  All of that food came out around 10:30-11:00.
  • It's definitely not necessary, but I agree it's a nice touch if you can swing it. Most people will get munchy after drinking/dancing for a while and it's better to cushion the alcohol with some food!

We're doing mini Philly cheesesteaks and Philly soft pretzels (we're getting married in Philly). It's the only "Philly" touch we're adding and I didn't want it to be over the top and theme-y, but I thought this was a good compromise to put these out at the end of the night at about 1030-11pm (especially because the reception is a bus ride away from where people are staying in hotels).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed.  Not at all necessary, but they can be a nice touch.  I'm thinking soft pretzels from one of the local places. 
  • Cheeseburger sliders, french fry cones and milkshake shooters!
  • We went to a wedding where they served chips & salsa.  If you have $$ for that, it's awesome, but it was nothing more than a nice surprise.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're doing sliders and a make-your-own mac and cheese bar with cheeses and toppings. We mostly wanted to do it because we know we will have a heavy drinking crowd and it's a 6 hour reception.

I've never been to a wedding with it though so I hope people like it!
  • In Ontario, Canada, our liquor laws state you have to have food available as long as liquor is being served ... so we're doing cheese/cracker trays, fruit trays, veggie trays, small meatballs (homemade by the groom's parents - YUM!), along with the tarts and mini cheesecakes included in our catering package.  It's a wise idea to have at least SOME kind of food to absorb the alcohol Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards