New Jersey

Bridesmaid Dresses

Hello fellow knotties! My first post here...just wanted to ask you guys a question about bridesmaid dresses. I was actually thinking about black dresses for the bridesmaids. My wedding is July of next year. My colors are orange and fuscia and I was really liking the idea of black cocktail dresses. In my head I'm picturing black dress, bright flowers focusing on my colors and maybe fuscia/pink shoes. My ceremony and reception are inside so they really won't be effected by the heat but I'm worried about the look of it all...any thoughts??

Re: Bridesmaid Dresses

• I went to a wedding last July where the BMs wore black and carried bright yellow flowers. It looked great!
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    I would worry more about the material than the color, in terms of the heat.

I did black dresses with green sashes, and bright pink flowers. The colors looked really nice together. Black helps colors to pop really nicely. Gerbera daisies, or roses, would be great flower choices if you are going with orange and fuchsia.

I would put the guys in black tuxes, black vests and ties, and colorful boutonnieres ... or maybe black vests with a colorful tie underneath. I am not a fan of men in colorful vests. But that's up to your FI.

I think pink shoes would look cute, but shoes are such a personal thing for women. I don't like when the bride requires everyone in the same shoe, especially when she's not paying for them. Even if it's a case where the girls have to wear dyeables but they pick their style - they're still buying shoes when if it was a neutral color they might not need to since they might already have something that'll work. Plus pink shoes would probably never be worn again, so it's a waste of money. 

I would personally play it safe and ask them all to pick a black shoe of their choice, and bring in the color with their flowers and maybe a sash or shawl. You can certainly talk to them about pink shoes, but I think most friends would tell you they'll do whatever you want even if secretly they're not happy about it, which is what would concern me.
  • i love the idea of black BM dresses!  I was actually considering that as well..still am.  I like the idea of black with pops of color in the flowers.  I think it looks pretty.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting married this July and my girls are in short black dresses (clicky) and the dress is really light and comfortable since it'll probably be hotter than hell.

They're wearing fuschia shoes, as well.

Black looks great on everyone :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I'm getting married Sept 7th (of this year) and my girls are wearing long black satin dresses. I love the way black looks - do what you want. I'm sure none of the girls will argue with that color - I know mine didn't!
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mbcdefg we want to do black vests,tux,tie for the guys with bright boutonnieres thats how this whole thing started with the black dresses. I will look into the sashes too incase I feel its too dark. You also have a point with the shoes, that's something I will have to think about.Thanks!

@k8888 I actually really like that dress and might have to copy! Some of my girls have requested straps and bill levkoff has a similar one with straps and same material so I will leave the option of style up to whatever they are comfortable in as long as they have same length and same color shoe!

Thanks for all the advice ladies I feel better now going forward with my idea! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards