Massachusetts-Boston

To all the married ladies who had strapless dresses!

Hello married ladies haha. My question about your strapless dress is how did it hold up all night. My mother is against me getting strapless because she insists I'd be pulling up at it all night( even tho I think I have plenty enough to hold up a dress lol.) The woman at the bridal shop says her seamstress with make it a perfect fit and I shouldnt have any issues. Who do I believe? Thanks in advance for your feedback :-)  
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: To all the married ladies who had strapless dresses!

• edited December 2011

I had a strapless dress and loved it! I didn't have issues -- mine did have a corset on the inside that worked almost like a seatbelt to keep everything in place :) 
    And you said it above -- my seamstress made it a perfect fit! 

I do feel that brides should get a dress that YOU feel comfortable in -- not what someone else is suggesting you get. GL!

• edited December 2011
    I understand where your mother is coming from as everyone has seen a bride who spending the night hiking up her strapless gown :-)  But those brides did not have gowns that fit properly!

I wore a strapless, and it was 100% comfortable all night long!  I'm a 34D and had the support sewn in by my dressmaker so it fit like a glove.  Go for it!  Personally I think strapless gowns are very flattering.
  • edited December 2011
    I also had a strapless dress with no issues.  I'm larger on top, and my seamstress sewed a long line bra into the dress. 
    Like everyone has said- if the dress is fitted properly you'll have zero issues with it!
    12/12/2009
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not married yet, but I've worn strapless dresses for other events and had the bra sewn in and was fine. 
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't had my wedding yet, but I'm wearing a strapless gown and I think it will be fine. A lot of it is the fit in the rib cage- I was told that's where it is held up from.
  • edited December 2011
    I was opposed to a strapless dress because of what your mother mentioned.  I really didn't want to be hiking up my dress all night.  Well, turns out, the dress I picked is strapless.  I don't think it will be a problem though because my dress has a corset back so I will be really in there just by lacing the corset really tight.  When I tried it on at the store I did not feel as though I would be pulling at it so hopefully that stays true! 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the pp's- if the dress fits properly, you shouldn't have any issues.  I would suggest that when you go for your fittings, jump around in the dressing room.  I mean really jump- do a little dance, shake your maracas, make sure they stay put no matter what you do.  My dress stayed up just fine, but I discovered it pulled to the right when I was dancing, so it's a little crooked in my pictures.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I had a strapless Maggie Sottero, and it didn't go ANYWHERE.  With the built in boning and the very tightly laced corset back, it was maybe the most secure piece of clothing I have ever worn.  If you do not have a corset back, splurge on any necessary alterations from a good seamstress, and you should be fine.  A well fitting strapless gown will not budge.
    imageimage BFP #1 7/2011 natural m/c at 11.5 weeks. BFP #2 3/2012 ectopic pg, MTX at 7.5 weeks. BFP #3 10/2012, EDD 6/24/2013 over the moon to be expecting our baby girl in June!
  • edited December 2011
    My strapless paloma blanca stayed put- you need a good fit and your seamstress can help you with that!
  • edited December 2011
    The key is having the right alterations.

My dress was strapless and everything went off without a single hitch.

My bms however had strapless dresses (which they picked) but I knew I couldn't expect them to all get perfect alterations on a dress they were wearing for my day sooo I asked that the dress maker leave in the sphagetti straps so during dancing they wouldn't feel anything slipping. It worked out great.
  • edited December 2011
    I think the thing your mother is worried about -- fussing with a strapless dress -- yes everyone's seen it but I think it's mainly done with dresses that you buy off the rack and that aren't altered.  Obviously they don't fit your body perfectly.

My seamstress said the same thing about alterations -- once they alter your dress to fit YOU and you alone... it won't go anywhere.  I wouldn't worry about it!
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im not married yet but my dress is strapless.  Im a 36D and have a monster rib cage, lol.  My dress is a corset back and fits great. It allows the room in need for the ribs and tightens in the waist where i need it to. The boning in the front holds it up.  Also, I found that with my chest size, a sweetheart neckline worked best.  It gave the puppies some room and I dont have a uni-boob in it.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • eouelleteouellet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was strapless and heavy silk satin - and it stayed up perfectly all night long.  A well-tailored and well-made dress should have no issues staying put.
  • edited December 2011

My dress was so comfortable and didn't need any adjusting all day.  No issues.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    A corset is the answer to ANY issues with a dress.  My dress is a maggie and has a corset. That thing is going NOWHERE.  I always have that hiking up problem because my chest is big (body is not). 

Get a strapless corset with a modesty panel in the back.  You'll love it.  ;-)
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you soo much ladies!!! and good to hear about the maggies cuz the 2 dresses im in between are maggies and both have corset backs!!! :-) yaya 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I had a strapless dress and had absolutely no issues.  When they tailor it, they make it fit just right.  I honestly never thought about it once all night. HTH!
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_married-ladies-strapless-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:105f9b46-73e0-4b15-9c53-ee9617a08fefPost:7a123203-6846-4679-8d64-c903bcd7f079">Re: To all the married ladies who had strapless dresses!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you soo much ladies!!! and good to hear about the maggies cuz the 2 dresses im in between are maggies and both have corset backs!!! :-) yaya 
    Posted by jacquikev[/QUOTE]

Mine is a Maggie too.  Which ones do you like?
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards