Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographer advice?

FI and I recently met with a photographer, and we love his work based on what we've seen. He studied photography at an ivy league college, and currently works as a fashion photographer who does weddings on the side. His style is very artistic and his prices are surprisingly reasonable compared to many others we've looked into. My mom fell in love with his photos, and she really wants us to sign with him.

One thing that concerns me, though, is that I can't find a single review about him online. He has a blog with a few positive comments, as well a Facebook page with 100 fans, but beyond that, I can't find any other feedback about him from people who've used him. I know that he's been shooting weddings for a few years, and he said that most people have heard about him through word of mouth. However, I'm still a bit nervous. Most of the photos he features are ones taken during the cocktail hour timeframe, so I wonder if he'll be equally as concerned about ensuring that the other important wedding moments are captured. He also stated that he really doesn't like using flash, so we need to be sure that the ceremony and reception are adequately lit.

Should I be worried about any of these things? For those of you who have used a photographer with a mostly artistic style... did you feel that enough shots were taken that actually documented the important moments? Initially, we were supposed to receive two photographers if we booked him, but the second photographer is no longer able to do weddings, so only an assistant will be available. We are told that we'll receive about 800 photos total, which seems like it would be sufficient. I haven't had any prior experience with hiring a photographer for anything, so any input would be really appreciated.

Re: Photographer advice?

• Options
    atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly (as a pro photog myself) it all sounds a little bit sketchy. If he is a true professional he should be able and willing to use a flash where needed to get the shots. It sounds to me like he does not know how to properly use flash and therefore does not use it at all. It sounds like your gut it telling to be wary and i am all for listening to your gut feelings. Look at other photographers and see what you can find. I would also suggest meeting with at least 3 photographers so that you can compare. 
    If you would like, PM a link to his site and I will take a look at his work and give you a better opinion. 

ciao.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am seeing some red flags all over this.

If you don't like to use flash, that's one thing, but sometimes, it is necessary.

If he's been doing this for a few years, he should have at least one review online, or at least a few website testimonials.

My photographer has only been doing this two years and is still learning and new. So I'm not saying the person has to be perfect. But my photog still has about 20 reviews on WeddingWire and on her blog, I can see she's done like 25 or more real weddings.

Did you ask to see an entire wedding from start to finish? I like to see that it is a REAL wedding they shot, not just a wedding they attended as a guest.

To me, cocktail hour photos are the worst and not interesting, so I don't want a lot of those. That isn't very photogenic.

If you want to post his website, maybe some of these knotties can look at it.
  • Options
    moyajenechkamoyajenechka member
    edited December 2011
    You should ask him to show you images from all wedding segments, preparations, portraits, ceremony, reception. Make sure you see more than one wedding.
    I personally wouldn't go with anyone without a good number of reviews.

Good luck!
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    edited December 2011
    I agree on the red flags.  Could you ask him for some reviews/references?

My photographer has only been doing this for a few years but there are reviews for him all over the place and he has testimonials on his website.  I found our photographer through craigslist.

I did 3 months of research on my photographer.  To me, the photographer /> dress.   If something doesn't feel right, do not go with him.  Our photographer had the artistic photojournalistic style and he definitely captured the important moments.  When we first met with him, he produced several entire wedding albums.  We got 460 photos but 460 great photos.

This is our photographer. http://www.kuehlphoto.com/ It could give you a good idea of what to look for as far as info.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the advice.

He has been doing weddings for a few years, but he said that he does not do them all that often as it's only a side gig for him (his main business is fashion photography).

He has a few positive comments on his blog, as I previously mentioned, from people who had their weddings shot by him...  but I was hoping to find full reviews. I think I will ask for references, as has been suggested.

Here is his website, in case any Knotties would like to take a look: http://www.omarweddingphoto.com/
  • Options
    moyajenechkamoyajenechka member
    edited December 2011
    OMG, I just took a look at his website. His wedding work is so bad...
    He is just an amateur who knows a bit of Photoshop, in particular, how to blur the faces off. I wouldn't call THAT photography.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    His website is so insanely slow to load that I almost didn't even make it to the photos.

His work shows potential, but it definitely shows lots of signs of being an amateur.  However, if you like his photos and the price is right, then there's nothing wrong with booking him.  Every pro started out somewhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    edited December 2011
    OMG the post production (read= photoshopping) on those images are absolutely horrid. I definitely Not hire this person for any sort of photography. Honestly, there is a good reason you can't find reviews... his work is not great and is probably not getting hired much. 

I would definitely keep looking. I'm not sure what your budget is, but Im sure you can find someone more photographically competent to shoot your wedding day. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Photographers who do weddings as side gigs aren't going to be as amazing as photographers who live and breathe wedding photography. They are on a totally different playing field. They don't get the time frame of a wedding and what is "important" like table shots, place cards, cake, first dance, dancing shots, I could go on. Especially a fashion photog, he might enjoy the posed photos, but may slack on the reception, and if that is all that is important to you, go for it. But I suggest you pick a photographer who is a full time wedding photographer. They will know what to photograph that you wouldn't have thought you'd like to have as a keepsake in your album. 
    I'm just saying.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've looked at his website and it seems to me that he does a lot of great studio work, which is completely expected of a fashion photographer, but very different from a wedding photographer.  I urge you to request to see a wedding from start to finish. This is the best way to see how the photographer shoots and how you will feel about him photographing your wedding.  Being a wedding photograher myself, this request is certainly not uncommon.  If he can not provide this in either printed album or online gallery form then there is something wrong.  I do not like to use flash either, but there are just some instances when you have to, especially during a nighttime reception or if the entire event is indoors and as a wedding photographer, you need to be able to work with this and still provide great images.  If he can not work with the lighting provided, that is another very alarming thing to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Everyone said my suggestion, to ask to see full wedding portfolios.

I wouldn't hold it against him that he doesn't have many reviews up on the internet. If most of his work is commercial you won't see as many reviews. I understand that personally because I do commercial work too, and I'm not interested in pushing my clients for weddings or otherwise into signing up for websites to write a review. This is just a personal choice imo.
    http://www.jennamichelephotography.com Destination Wedding Photographer
  • Options
    kimbo1781kimbo1781 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there!
    I looked at the website and the photos are okay, they just seemed too overprocessed. Some of the faces don't even look real...the compositions are good though. MAybe I would just see if he would give you unedited photos?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards