Registry and Gift Forum

Is it rude to register for these items???

Ok, ladies I need your help. My wedding isn't until July 2011 but I'm currently registered at Macy's, Crate & Barrel and Williams-Sonoma. The problem is they don't have some of the cool things I'd really like to register for at Target like an outdoor grill, Ipod or board games. I know these aren't traditional items on a registry but my first question is does anyone think it's against etiquette to register for these types of items? Also, since I already have 3 registries I'd obviously have to replace one so what would you recommend I drop?

Re: Is it rude to register for these items???

• IMO I think its fine, we registered for things like this.  If people don't want to buy them then they won't.  I also think its ok to have 4 registries. 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • It's really hard because I have invited over 300 guests so I want to make sure that I have enough items on my registry at different price points.
  • I don't see anything wrong with having 4 registries for a wedding that size, and there isn't anything wrong with registering for the grill/board games, but doesn't Macy's have outdoor grills?  If so, would you really want to have a 4th registry for JUST board games?
  • @Jenny - Surprisingly Macys doesn't have many outdoor grills (I only saw one) on their websit.  And I would definitely register for more than boardgames!  Target has so many cool things for the home it's hard to resist.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_rude-register-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:3c3c01b5-6766-40ca-a5c9-d40a62ff1961Post:a6ab4e07-8059-4469-ab03-609e7a8eb964">Re: Is it rude to register for these items???</a>:
    [QUOTE]@hlq - I think you're right about the IPod thing...I'll definitely rethink that one!  LOL
    Posted by ninap5[/QUOTE]

Seriously, though... the iHome docking stations are great to have, particularly if you don't have a good stereo system.  I love ours.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_rude-register-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:3c3c01b5-6766-40ca-a5c9-d40a62ff1961Post:6877726f-987c-413e-864b-8b8b646767a8">Re: Is it rude to register for these items???</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Jenny - Surprisingly Macys doesn't have many outdoor grills (I only saw one) on their websit.  And I would definitely register for more than boardgames!  Target has so many cool things for the home it's hard to resist.
    Posted by ninap5[/QUOTE]

Huh - I thought Macy's had everything!  Then yeah by all means, make Target your 'fun stuff' registry!
  • It's the middle of December and you're surprised Macy's doesn't have many outdoor grills right now? Really?

You can always add on a grill later when they have more in stock. That would be a lot better than registering for an ipod. Remember, this is a registry for your wedding, not a registry for your birthday. ;)

And the reason why 4 is a bit much is because it's, well, a bit much. You can just register more items at three stores instead of spreading them out for 4 stores. There is no difference in amount of stuff on the registry. Make sense now?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_rude-register-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:3c3c01b5-6766-40ca-a5c9-d40a62ff1961Post:913c0434-b1b4-4c90-a6a4-acf16e0bbcd5">Re: Is it rude to register for these items???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think 4 is excessive, especially given that your 3 current registries are a little "higher end" and not nationally available.  Go ahead and register at Target. But I agree that if it isn't for your home or something you'll both get use out of, I'd leave it off the list.  <strong>Grill, tools, board games, etc are all fine, but I'd seriously side-eye someone who registered for an Ipod.
    </strong>Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • To me, Macy's isn't high end. It depends on the items you register for.
    Go through your registries, if they all contain all high priced items, the problem lays with you and not the stores themselves.
  • I think where I draw the line on "rude" is if it's an item that is meant for one person.  I have never heard of two people sharing an iPod, so I would look at that be annoyed that it's for one of them.  The gifts you register for are meant to help you start your life together.  

My other suggestion would be that some of those things you can wait and buy with money you receive at the wedding.  A grill - for example - is not a gift someone really wants to ship or haul to the wedding.  You will almost certainly get money from the wedding, so you can plan on buying a grill with some of that money.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_rude-register-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:3c3c01b5-6766-40ca-a5c9-d40a62ff1961Post:04939319-6ac5-4dfd-9f17-af0b99fb1d1b">Re: Is it rude to register for these items???</a>:
    [QUOTE]And the reason why 4 is a bit much is because it's, well, a bit much. You can just register more items at three stores instead of spreading them out for 4 stores. There is no difference in amount of stuff on the registry. Make sense now?
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

But if there's no difference in the amount of stuff on the registry (which, yeah, obviously), why is there a difference if the stuff you register for is spread out over four instead of three?  Really not trying to argue; I just don't quite get it.
  • I actually just did my registry.  I asked my fiance's sister about it and you can register for whatever you want.  My fiance took the scanner to the KINECT for xbox, grill, camera and tried for the TV but it wouldn't recognize it.  I don't think it's against etiquette for anything but I would make sure you offer a variety of items in different price ranges to accomodate your guests' budgets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think four is find...like people said Target is a national chain and they have online...I definitely think you can register for a grill and board games...also I would actually buy someone an ipod just register for an ihome or speakers for it and then it is for both of you  :)  I have been debating registering at Target...I just have to tell my fiance that XBOX 360 games are NOT allowed :)
    Anniversary
  • Have you considered an Amazon.com universal registry? You can add items from any website. For example, you could add all of your crate & barrel stuff to the amazon registry, plus board games and so on. This could keep you from bumping up to 4 registries. 
  • I have four registries. I know for a fact that some of our guests want to give generous gifts, while other guests need options in a lower price range. We registered at two specialty stores (Williams-Sonoma, Tiffany) and then two larger department-type stores (Crate & Barrel, Bloomingdales). For the person that wants to buy us a full set of Shun knives, they know which ones we want... and for the friend that wants to buy us a cookbook to add to our collection, they'll be confident that it's not one we already have. I don't see the problem with four smaller, specialized registries.

As a guest, I would probably want to buy you something nicer than board games. Put them on there though, since someone may add them to another gift or give them as a shower gift.

For a grill and other big items, I would state "We are trying to go green. We're requesting that gifts be sent unwrapped and if it's possible to pick up an item ourselves, we'll happily accept giftcards instead of shipped gifts."
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • Ihave always heard of mixed reviews on this same issue. And clearly from PP some people side-eye while others don't.

If you really don't know what to do - then when you get your cash gifts use some of that money to buy the ipod, or the Xbox or whatever "different" item you want.

I do not think 4 registries are too many - just keep an eye on them. It's hard to maintain the amount of gifts on each. Also, I personally would want to get you something that you will have for some time (China, bedding) , so I may not pick the ipod that you will want to upgrade in 2 years.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  I've decided not to register for the unnecessary items and just stick to my original 3 registries.
  • I would the drop W-S registry and go with the Target fun stuff instead of the $$ copper pots.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Register for anything you want! It is your day! Your guests can chose what they want to buy you.  I always see the most random items on a registry.  Everyone's needs are different.  I have a friend who got several Waterford crystal items for her wedding.  She is like, "What the heck am I going to do with this?"  I'm like, give it to me!  I love Waterford!  If you are going to use it and want it, register for it! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards