Georgia-Atlanta

Where did/will you have your wedding and reception?

Ladies,

I see a lot of posts asking for venue help, etc. Now I'm one of those "help me find a venue" people. Do you mind sharing where you had or will have your event(s) and how many guests? I think it may help more than just me. :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker
130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!

Re: Where did/will you have your wedding and reception?

• edited December 2011
    we had our ceremony at st. michael's catholic church in woodstock.
    our reception was at the rock barn in canton.

*edit*
    i forgot to put in how many guests we had.
    we had about 75 people.
    our church is huge, so there was nothing to worry about there
    but our reception hall was just a hall, we did everything to it... the fire code was max 180 people but i wouldn't have put many more than what we had in it. there wasn't much more room for tables than we had, and our dance floor was a little small.
    imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I had my ceremony at the Day Chapel in Athens and the reception right across the parking lot at the Terrace Room reception room.  This was all inside the State Botanical gardens. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We will be married at The Roswell River Landing a year from today!!
  • edited December 2011
    Both my ceremony and reception are at Eagle's Landing Country Club. I'm having 150 guests, but the ballroom can hold up to 300.
  • Sapphire1002Sapphire1002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Had my ceremony and reception @ Indian Hills Country Club in Marietta. If you're getting married during warmer months, try to do it outside (max guests around 120) overlooking the golf course.. it was a beautiful setting!   The reception was inside.. loved the venue.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! Keep em coming... we're going to look at Ventanas tomorrow which we've heard is amazing. I'll post about it tomorrow for any new Atlanta brides perusing the board. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • juandasmithjuandasmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will have both my ceremony and reception at the Mason Murer Art Gallery. Great place if you want something non-typical:

http://www.masonmurer.info/event-rentals

www.masonmurer.com

• edited December 2011
    We're thinking of having our reception at the Defoor Center -- so far, they've been the best in terms of bang for your buck with the least amount of DIY planning and they're about as 'all inclusive' as I'm comfortable with. They're also really great about working with you. We've been told several times "your only limit is your imagination" 

They're having an open house on Sunday Nov 6th, you should check them out, at worst you got some decorations/wedding ideas and tasted some food. At best, you find your venue!!

We're having about 120 people -- but I'm pretty sure they can hold more. 

We wanted to hold our reception at King Plow, but the date we wanted was taken and we're not very flexible on that aspect, but that venue is also beauuuutiful!

Our ceremony will be at the Catholic Shrine of The Immaculate Conception, small church, but immediately felt like home when we attended services <3 

Good luck!
  • chrissyinatlchrissyinatl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having mine at the Atrium in Downtown Norcross.  Think we're going to wind up with about 140 guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my ceremony and reception at the Roswell River Landing. I am inviting about 100 people and expect about 65 to come (Large percent of guests are OOT). It's a very pretty site and Debbie is great to work with. 

The only thing is (and depending on who you are, this can be a pro or a con) this is a building ONLY. They have tables and chairs but they have no linnens, no preferred vendors, no staff to help you out day of. Basically you rent the place from 8 am - 2 am and you set up and tear down everything yourself and bring all your own stuff in. $900 to rent the place for the whole day plus a $500 security deposit which is returned when they see you didn't wreck the place : )
  • edited December 2011
    My ceremony is being held at the Sunset Ranch in Villa Rica and our reception is at the same place. About 100 or guests.

Like pokepoke said at this one you will have to rent EVERYTHING for it, including tents as they don't have a really great place to have the ceremony. You rent it for 3 days, we are setting up Friday, Ceremony and Reception is on Saturday, and tear down is on Sunday.
  • edited December 2011
    We're having ours at The Whitlock Inn in Marietta, just off the Square - ceremony and reception.  It's a 111 year old Victorian house with gardens in the back.  It can hold up to 250 people for the ceremony and when I went for my first visit, they were setting up for a 344 person reception.  The ceremony will be in the gardens. For the reception, they have a ballroom with a dance floor.  We'll have some tables inside with the band and dance floor and some tables outside with the bartender.  All food will be inside as the house has several rooms that flow nicely.  Before I became friends with the owner years ago through charity work, I have always loved the house and always wanted my wedding there.  All the items included in the package have cut my list of items in half.  And I know it's going to help save me a lot of headaches that her and her staff are taking care of a lot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_didwill-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:bcf1e273-494d-48a1-a2ca-5b6798810a6aPost:d0427eba-f60d-4dce-9b20-8d5cc9f6015d">Re: Where did/will you have your wedding and reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're thinking of having our reception at the Defoor Center -- so far, they've been the best in terms of bang for your buck with the least amount of DIY planning and they're about as 'all inclusive' as I'm comfortable with. They're also really great about working with you. We've been told several times "your only limit is your imagination"  They're having an open house on Sunday Nov 6th, you should check them out, at worst you got some decorations/wedding ideas and tasted some food. At best, you find your venue!! We're having about 120 people -- but I'm pretty sure they can hold more.  We wanted to hold our reception at King Plow, but the date we wanted was taken and we're not very flexible on that aspect, but that venue is also beauuuutiful! Our ceremony will be at the Catholic Shrine of The Immaculate Conception, small church, but immediately felt like home when we attended services <3  Good luck!
    Posted by maggiebaggie[/QUOTE]

<div>How are they in terms of pricing (if you know)?<span style="white-space:pre;" class="Apple-tab-span"> </span></div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: Nevermind they emailed me pricing info. :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kimberlykhkimberlykh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ceremony and reception at Piedmont Room.  We're inviting around 200 people, but expecting around 160-170.

• edited December 2011
    We toured Ventanas and The Defoor Centre yesterday.

Ventanas was beautiful in terms of the beautiful Atlanta skyline and the floor to ceiling windows. The venue itself was an awkward shaped L room on one floor and an even more awkward foom on the other. It sits on top of the Hilton Garden Inn across from the Georgia Aquarium and she assured us 170 to even 226 guests would fit in that space. The outside patio is also a nice spot but it doesnt seem all that large and needs a lot to make it into a ceremony space. (It's plain... )

All in all we didn't like it and for the $12k minimum spent (room rental and min beverage) we'd rather go somewhere where our guests wont have to pay to park and have to stop dancing at 10:30p

THEN there's the Defoor Centre. The price is a lot better, the venue is absolutely amazing, and the service is great to boot. There are tons of pictures on their Facebook page and they are about as true to the actual venue as you can get. This place can EASILY fit 200+ people and it be a comfortable setting. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We toured the Defoore Centre too, and loved it.  It was our very close second.  I LOVE the space and the uniqueness of it!  Glad you liked it, good luck!
  • mrsbrantleymrsbrantley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_didwill-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:58Discussion:bcf1e273-494d-48a1-a2ca-5b6798810a6aPost:65ce61da-c206-4e25-9077-9be276235187">Re: Where did/will you have your wedding and reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We toured Ventanas and The Defoor Centre yesterday. Ventanas was beautiful in terms of the beautiful Atlanta skyline and the floor to ceiling windows. The venue itself was an awkward shaped L room on one floor and an even more awkward foom on the other. It sits on top of the Hilton Garden Inn across from the Georgia Aquarium and she assured us 170 to even 226 guests would fit in that space. The outside patio is also a nice spot but it doesnt seem all that large and needs a lot to make it into a ceremony space. (It's plain... ) All in all we didn't like it and for the $12k minimum spent (room rental and min beverage) we'd rather go somewhere where our guests wont have to pay to park and have to stop dancing at 10:30p THEN there's the Defoor Centre. The price is a lot better, the venue is absolutely amazing, and the service is great to boot. There are tons of pictures on their Facebook page and they are about as true to the actual venue as you can get. This place can EASILY fit 200+ people and it be a comfortable setting.  <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Defoor-Centre/101792953767" rel='nofollow'>http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Defoor-Centre/101792953767</a>
    Posted by Soon2BSand[/QUOTE]

Soon2BSand, thanks for sharing! I was considering Ventanas but wasn't sure how it would work out. This helps a lot and saves a trip! :)
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad you liked the Defoor Center!! Are you going to the open house? I'm going to be there! Did you see the amazingly high ceilings? I'm worried about it looking empty!! 

kimberly -- where did you end up doing your reception??
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_didwill-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:bcf1e273-494d-48a1-a2ca-5b6798810a6aPost:4fe62a1f-7452-4810-bba1-173b83fa7441">Re: Where did/will you have your wedding and reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm glad you liked the Defoor Center!! Are you going to the open house? I'm going to be there! Did you see the amazingly high ceilings? I'm worried about it looking empty!!  kimberly -- where did you end up doing your reception??

<div>YES! I will be there... we should do an impromptu two person meet up, lol. I LOVED it and with the drapes and dramatic lighting I'm sure it will look amazing. The space is huge but with the right lights, etc it should be fine. We will see Nov 6th!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_didwill-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:58Discussion:bcf1e273-494d-48a1-a2ca-5b6798810a6aPost:4fe62a1f-7452-4810-bba1-173b83fa7441">Re: Where did/will you have your wedding and reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]kimberly -- where did you end up doing your reception??

Piedmont Room at the Park Tavern in Piedmont Park.  We just really love the park and live close to it, so we wanted our friends to get to experience it too.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so silly!! Sorry Kimberly, I totally missed your post where you actually addressed that!! 

Piedmont room ir our second choice!! Hahah that's so funny!
  • 13miler113miler1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also having my reception at the Defoor Center and in fact am thinking about doing the rehearsal dinner there too!  I've been to one Open House and it was really nice...very low-key and not pushy.  I'm looking forward to the next open house because some of our menu items will be featured!  Good luck and happy planning!
  • edited December 2011
    I got married at Carl House in Auburn GA, about 10 min from Mall of GA and did an outisde ceremony in the gardens and had the reception in the ballroom. I can truly say it was the best day of my life and the venue and the staff just made everything so special! You should check them out... www.carlhouse.com
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_didwill-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:bcf1e273-494d-48a1-a2ca-5b6798810a6aPost:d8c8bcc9-818e-4f80-99d9-af26958110c6">Re: Where did/will you have your wedding and reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where did/will you have your wedding and reception? : Soon2BSand, thanks for sharing! I was considering Ventanas but wasn't sure how it would work out. This helps a lot and saves a trip! :)
    Posted by mrsbrantley[/QUOTE]

Same here. Thank you so much for sharing! Ventanas was at the top of my short list (because FI wants a rooftop space in December, so I figured Ventana's floor-to-ceiling windows would make a reasonable alternative). But I was really taken aback by their $3500 drink minimum when we're not doing alcohol at all.

I'll check out Defoor's website.
  • edited December 2011
    Ceremony and reception at 5 seasons brewery in midtown. We aren't religious and we love beer. It was perfect!
  • If anyone knows what was the pricing for Defoor?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards