South Carolina-Charleston

Any suggestions on restaurants

I am honeymooning in Charleston in March 2011 and I am looking for suggestions on restaurants we can't miss and things we need to make sure we do.  I'm a big planner so I would like to start now...plus it's just fun!  Thanks so much ladies!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Any suggestions on restaurants

• edited December 2011
    Mercato is one of our favorites - it's an Italian place on Market St. Tristan's is a wonderful steakhouse ... Blossom is good, too. Really you can't go wrong with any of the cuisine. If you want a bigger list from me, I have an e-mail from a friend of mine who keeps a running list of her fave Charleston restaurants. PM me and I can send it to you. :)

Aside: I'm getting married in Charleston in March 2011. :) It's nice to know another knottie will be around that month. :) /threadjack
    tiffandshel.tumblr.com
    www.tiffandshel.com/wedding

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We had our reception at Tristan, the food is fabulous. You can find their menu online. We did our RD at S.N.O.B. (Slightly North of Broad), our photographer loves McCradys.
    We have to eat at Joseph's whenever we are in town. They serve breakfast and lunch. Have fun.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • cougarettecougarette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The chef at McCradys won the James Beard award for best chef southeast (last year the winner was the chef at FIG).  I agree that Mercato is really good.  I also like Poogans Porch.

I like going to the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon downtown.  It's right at the end of rainbow row on East Bay street.  Keep heading south and you'll be at the Battery. Just north of the Old Exchange is Waterfront Park.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    I love Jestine's Kitchen and Hominy Grill. Both are a little off the beaten path. 82 Queen is also really good. Juanita Greenberg's has awesome Mexican. For dessert, stop by Kaminsky's on Market or Cupcake on King.

I am from Charleston and have lived there almost all of my life. I love to just walk around the city, and it March, it will be perfect weather. There's a book called Charleston Mysteries: Ghostly Haunts in the Holy City by Cathy Pickens. It's basically a self-guided ghost tour if you don't feel like paying the actual thing. There's obviously so much history to take in- the house tours are pretty cool. Definitely go see the Battery and Rainbow Row. The carriage tours are also pretty informative. I learn something new every time I go. Good luck and get back in touch with me if you need anything else.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you want romantic setting and incredible food and service you HAVE to make a reservation at Carolina's.  It is off the beaten path and it is one of our absolute favorite places for a romantic dinner. Bocci's is another favorite for incredibly good italian.  And you HAVE to go to Poogan's Porch for brunch.  So amazing!

If you want a unique historic house in downtown check out the Aiken Rhett House.  If you want to be stunned by beautiful interiors then check out the Nathaniel Russell House.  I think you can buy a discounted pass for both houses if you purchase them at the same time.  Check out HistoricCharleston.org for more on those houses. 

If you want to venture outside of downtown, Magnolia Plantation has nice gardens and a petting zoo and good food you can lunch at.  Drayton Hall is a great property to check out as well and it's nearby Magnolia.
  • Allen+SmithAllen+Smith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Fish on Upper King, about a block or two from Marion Square.
    As pp have mentioned, Mercato, Bocci's, McCrady's, and SNOB are all great.
    Oak steakhouse has some of the best steaks in the city, but be prepared to shell out a couple hundred for all of it.
    Social is a fun little wine bar with good food.
    Pearlz and Amen Street, both on East Bay Street just south of Market, have the best oysters. 
    TBonz has some good general americana food. Their double-fried wings are uber-tasty, and obviously terrible for your health...
    Kaminski's (connected to TBonz) is a dessert bar, and makes some mean dessert cocktails in addition to their tastilicious treats. They have a milkshake made with Southern Comfort... yum!
    WOK on King Street (near George street) is great for lunch, as are kickin chicken, king street grille, and vickery's (which is actually located at the intersection of Beaufain, Market, and Coming streets).
    Joseph's and Toast, both on lower Meeting street (past Market) are great breakfast places!
    And finally, Chai's on Upper King is a great tapas place. Love their lamb meatballs :)

Do NOT eat at Hyman's, please please please. Their idea of "quality" seafood is really quite the opposite.
    Also, sweetwater cafe (or something like that, the name escapes me right now...) on Market street across from the Charleston Place hotel/shops isn't worth the effort. On busy (read: touristy) weekends, there is always a long line to get in. I tried the place when I first moved down there, and it was okay food, but certainly not outstanding.

Have fun on your honeymoon!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My favorite restaurant is 82 Queen, which is downtown (right down the street from Poogan's Porch). Great Southern food! I also recommend Il Cortile Del Re, which is on King Street. It's a quaint little restaurant with wonderful Italian food!
    This kind of love is what I dreamed about ~6.4.10~
  • jenlc527jenlc527 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fish is amazing! they change their menu seasonally and their chef was recently awared the Master Frech Chef award and has been up for some other awards as well. fabulous

LOVE McCrady's, High Cotton, SNOB, Basil, Chai's, Monza,

Cru Cafe is down near the market and is amazing for lunch- you MUST try the mac and cheese :) best wishes. I live in Chas, and the food here is amazing!!
  • davenia7davenia7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our favorite is The Boathouse on Breeches Inlet.  Smoked Gouda Mac N Cheese... AMAZING!!!  And good seafood too.
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and I agree that we had one of the best meals ever at Fig last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards