Chit Chat

"I've been dreaming of this since I was a little girl!" Uhhh...

I'm all about planning my wedding now, but I can't say I ever even thought about it as a kid.  Some of my friends have known since they were 5 what their colors were going to be and what their dream dress would look like.

When I was that age, I was basically preoccupied with drawing, dancing, playing outside, and making sure I never missed the amazing shows on Nickelodeon (Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Clarissa Explains It All, Hey Dude--c'mon 90s kids..you know what's up.).

What about you?

Re: "I've been dreaming of this since I was a little girl!" Uhhh...

• Yeah I dreamed about it when I was a little girl. Im not actually using any of those ideas though, they were just silly I want a pretty princess day dreams.

• Also never thought about it much at least not in details like that.  The only thing I ever dreamed about were the vows and not the exact words so much as the meaning of them.  I guess I wasn't so concerned about marriage when I was little, nor did I care about a wedding.  

Oh and I am so with you on Clarissa Explains it all and Hey Dude, oh and Salute your Shorts!
  • I'm totally with you both ... The only thing that I knew I wanted when I first started this whole thing, was that I wanted to get married on the beach! Other than that, I was clueless, and still kinda am .. I'm definitely on a budget for the shin-dig, so it's just going to be casual, and I'm just going with the flow ...

P.S.~I used to watch every single one of those shows you mentioned ... they were awesome!   :)
  • OMG you mentioned Hey Dude. If you watched Eureka's Castle when you were younger we are sisters!

That said, I'm in the same boat as you are. I was always preoccupied (and went through a horrific relationship that convinced me that I'd never have that something special other people seemed to have) so it never entered my mind. After I fell in love and got engaged, I was more excited about after the wedding. Even now, I'm kind of lazy and don't understand those brides who quit their jobs to plan a wedding or freak out because the wedding napkins don't match.

When I was in college, I did have a roommate who had every detail planned out. She would even make us walk down the aisle like we would at her wedding.

I think most of us have realized what makes that day so special. Either that or watching Bridezillas has caused us to reevaluate everything. I'm still having nightmares over the bride who wouldn't apoligize to "A DOOR-MAN" sheesh.

• edited March 2010
    Oh and "Fragail Rock"! but Hey Dude was the best!

i never dreamed of mine either...outdoors were too much fun.
  • Hey Dude is seriously the best show.  I wish it was still on.  Did you know...

Mr. Ernst (from Hey Dude) met a lady in one episode and fell in love with her.
    That lady (Laura Innes) became his wife in real life.  Aww...
    And Laura Innes was the very well know Dr. Kerry Weaver on ER.

Okay, yes.. I *loved* Nickelodeon.

And I never spent any time thinking about my wedding as a child.  I didn't spend much time thinking about a wedding when it became clear that my fiance and I were about to be engaged!  I do pay attention now, but we're still having a very stress-free wedding.
  • Joy you are very lucky to be having a stress-free wedding.  Our wedding some where along the line became about everyone else.  We don't know how or why, but every one has some expectation of OUR wedding,  Which is making it stressful.  Enjoy every minute you don't have 10 people telling you what you SHOULD do after you have already made a decision. 
  • I don't post on this board very often, but I couldn't pass this up. I LOVED all those shows and miss them! I too, never dreamed about my wedding growing up. I think that's why I'm not too stressed about my decisions because it's not a huge impact.
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I know for a fact that I never "dreamed" about my wedding as a little girl, lol. Unitl I was about 9, I had way better things to do, than think about "icky boys" (Who, at the time, I was pretty sure had to be a part of the day, lol).

Then when I learned what sex was, and I knew that's "what married people do", I was so horrified I swore I'd never get married. While my fear of sex subsided in high school, I was on a psuedo-feminism kick at that point and was all "Oh, I don't need a man to make me happy", and kind of thought that women that got married were degrading themselves. So I never even really dated people.

I eventually dated somebody in college for 3 years and still thought marriage was an awful idea (Although, he was a terrible human being, so that may have had a hand in that).

It actually wasn't until DH and I had been dating for a year or so that I thought that I'd ever even want to get married, let alone "dream" about wedding details, lol.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • i never thought about my wedding until i got engaged. i had no clue what needed to be done, i never paid attention to other weddings i went to, i never thought i would get married honestly. i just wasn't into it.

sorry but i didn't watch any of those shows when i was a kid, in fact i didn't watch much tv at all. i was way too busy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ive-dreaming-of-this-little-girl-uhhh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6d415b7c-1b02-4fe0-a15b-279b77296923Post:91094ea4-5de2-423f-9bf5-284132449c1d">Re: "I've been dreaming of this since I was a little girl!" Uhhh...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Joy you are very lucky to be having a stress-free wedding.  Our wedding some where along the line became about everyone else.  We don't know how or why, but every one has some expectation of OUR wedding,  Which is making it stressful.  Enjoy every minute you don't have 10 people telling you what you SHOULD do after you have already made a decision. 
    Posted by felicia220[/QUOTE]

I'll let you know in about a year if I'm still floating on a pretty cloud with my wedding... it could all blow up in my face. 

I'm sorry you're having trouble.  It's the nature of the beast, I think.  Are you marrying in South Jersey?  I'm from there!
  • I never dreamed of my wedding as a kid. In fact, I always swore up and down that I was never getting married, never even dating for that matter. But then, I'd gone through some really sh!tty things that pretty much made me hate men.

It wasn't until I met FI that I started to reconsider marriage. Our first date was my first "real" date ever and that's when I knew there were actually good guys out there. And it wasn't until he proposed that I ever even started thinking about the wedding itself.

Oh, but I do have to say this. I always said when I was little that if I HAD to get married, it would be to Raphael, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.
  • I must be in the minority here...but I love weddings! I went to a fair number of them as a girl and teenager and I thought about them all the time. However, as someone else said, it was mainly pretty princess day stuff, and then as I got older it was more into color coordination. I still enjoy it all though....of course, I haven't started planning yet. That might explain why I still like it lol.
  • OMG Seshat!! I'm so embarassed, but when I was a kid I would daydream about being April b/c I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles so much!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ive-dreaming-of-this-little-girl-uhhh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6d415b7c-1b02-4fe0-a15b-279b77296923Post:e235fc4c-e8a6-4478-bd1a-f7bae30184c9">Re: "I've been dreaming of this since I was a little girl!" Uhhh...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I must be in the minority here...but I love weddings! I went to a fair number of them as a girl and teenager and I thought about them all the time. However, as someone else said, it was mainly pretty princess day stuff, and then as I got older it was more into color coordination. I still enjoy it all though....of course, I haven't started planning yet. That might explain why I still like it lol.
    Posted by sgervais88[/QUOTE]
    I was into the princess type of planning too. The only thing I ever really thought about was my dress. I wanted this big, white, princess dress. Other than that, I had no other thoughts.<div>
    </div><div>I loved all the Nick shows too: Hey Dude! was my favorite!</div>
  • I didn't have cable growing up, except when we went up to visit my dad at his condo.  So I had to stick to network TV.  Boo!

I never thought I was going to get married, and I certainly didn't want to have a wedding.  I really surprised myself when we got engaged and I realized that I actually did want a wedding with all the trappings.  It was a weird feeling.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_ive-dreaming-of-this-little-girl-uhhh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:6d415b7c-1b02-4fe0-a15b-279b77296923Post:55d93c50-79e1-4fd4-963e-47ac5e7983c5">Re: "I've been dreaming of this since I was a little girl!" Uhhh...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "I've been dreaming of this since I was a little girl!" Uhhh... : I was jealous of April, rather than daydreaming of being her. When the first "real" movie came out for TMNT I was in love, I SO wanted to date Raphael, even though he was kind of a jerk. And my mom only made it worse. We'd be out on a bike ride and she'd suddenly say, "Look! Raphael just waved at you from that manhole! He lifted the sewer gate to see you!" And I'd be all mad because I missed seeing him. Seriously, sometimes I think she WANTED me to turn into a crazy person who sees people-sized turtles peeking out from manholes.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Hahaha...You're mom is awesome!
  • I didn't think about wedding details at all until I was pretty sure DH was going to propose.

I think thinking about weddings as a little girl is ok, but I think having everything picked out before you've even met your FI is creepy and unhealthy.  It's kind of like you've planned out this whole wedding, you just need a groom to copy and paste into it.  Weird.  Besides, don't you suppose he might have some opinions of how he'd like the wedding to be, too?  I know mine did. 

I've only met one person in real life who was like that.  She had a binder under her bed in college full of pages from wedding magazines.  It was very unhealthy.  When she was 20 and things hadn't worked out with her and her bf of 2 years, she had a total breakdown and was freaking out and crying about how she was tired of dating and the next guy she dates better be giving her a ring. 

6 years later, she's finally engaged to a guy she dated for about 4 months before he proposed.  I asked her how the wedding planning was going, and she said, "oh, I'm done.  I've been done for years."  Creepy creepy creepy. 
  • This is the coolest freaking message board I've ever seen- Where else on Earth can you combine wedding issues with 1990's television? You ladies are by far the coolest chicks on the planet and I love you.

Moving on!

I think that before I was engaged, I may have seen cool wedding items/ideas/dresses, etc. and said "Wow, I'll have to remember if I ever get married." But I never cut things out and would completely forget about the idea five minutes later. When I got engaged, I had absolutely NOTHING figured out- two of my bridesmaides actually clued me in on what my colors should be (and thank God they did- they were SO right). I think it's cool to think about what you might want before getting engaged as long as you're not scary about it- makes me think of the chick from "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days"

• p.s. What was Clarissa's little brother's name??
  • I was the same way. I never ever planned on getting married and up until a year ago marriage for me was out of the question. I never wanted a wedding or a husband....until I met him. He's been the one dreaming of a wedding and kids since he was little so it's nice that he takes care of a lot of things.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards