Registry and Gift Forum

won a trip & a coupon card.

Has anyone else gone to this thing?

I got a phone call from Chef World Inc. the other day, and didn't answer cause I didn't know who it was. The voicemail I got said that I had won a Bridal Package & Trip from a national drawing.

Now, i'll be honest, I've been entering as many bridal contests as possible. So, I called back.

Basically, we're going to a hotel to pick up our 3 day/2 night hotel accomodations & a $1,000 coupon card. In turn, we just have to sit through an hour long cookware presentation.

We're going, no matter what. I've seen mixed reviews online about it, and most of the neg people say they didn't want to sit through the cookware demo.

My FH works for Cutco, and does cookware demos for people all the time, so we figured we could return the favor and watch someone else's demo. Clearly we're not going to buy anything, because my FH can get discounts on our cutco stuff, which is pretty much the best you can get. They picked the wrong couple!  haha. :)

Anyway, we're going tomorrow night & I was just wondering if anyone else went before & how their experience was.

Re: won a trip & a coupon card.

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2009
    SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

Did I mention this is a scam?

EVERYONE "WINS" THIS! I "won" about 10 times. Seriously. They will make you sit through a presentation for overpriced crap, then if you do get a voucher, you will never be able to book the trip.

You said you're going no matter what, but seriously, don't bother.
    imageimageimage
  • I agree.  I've "won" several of these as well, and they will continue to harass you over the phone if you don't go. 

Don't waste your time. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Ditto what others said.  I've also been entering contests for stuff since I got engaged.  When you actually win something they won't require you to sit through any kind of presentation in order to claim your prize. 
  • What a scam.  It would be a complete waste of your time and energy to go.
  • Ditto PPs.

FI and I went to a presentation too. It ended up being a waste of time. The "free" trip involved a ton of extra fees and blackout dates, etc. at a crappy quality hotel/cruise ship. Don't waste your time. I've "won" a ton of these too. 
  • Well, we went.
    It wasn't bad really. Just had to sit through this guy's cookware demonstration, which was rather hilarous really, considering my fiance sells Cutco-aka the #1 cutlery/cookware brand in the US and #2 in the entire world. LOL! They picked the wrong people to attend that.

But we did get our promised prizes & have verified it all with the hotels & are making sure there aren't any "hidden fees". Still, about $30 in "hidden fees" is much cheaper than a $1,000 vacation. :)

• I still wouldn't go. If you look on the Better Business Bureau's website, or google about the "vacations", there isn't ever anything good about them. 
  • actually, the company was backed by BBB and so is the hotel company. :)
  • We have Cutco knives and I do LOVE them!
  • Be VERY careful with the trip.  If you read Bridal Bargains, they list the cookware company as one of the huge bridal scams.

You may be faced with a lot of hidden fees, poor hotel rooms, etc.  Just be careful with what you do since they have a huge reputation for not being reputable at all.

And with Cutco they are a quality product but some may also call them a scam as well - and you can certainly find quality knives at a chef's supply store where Cutco aren't sold.
  • Banana - I used to sell Cutco.  I feel bad for the people who get started in Cutco who don't find success - it's very expensive for not a lot of money if you don't do well right away.  I will say though that they are the best knives we have ever owned.  Expensive?  Yeah, but well worth it.  
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Heck yes! You people rock! We're total Cutco fanatics, especially because the FI sells it. :) Cutco is for sure the bomb diggity. haha.

He was #4 sales rep in the country a few weeks ago! And he's only worked there for 3 months. It's pretty fantastic. It's pretty touch & go though, or it was. It was hard not knowing if sales were going to be made & if we'd get a paycheck.  Now, he's an Assistant Manager, so he's on a salary, which is exciting.

Some people said that Vector Marketing is a scam (the company that markets Cutco), but that's just because everyone thinks that if you have to invest any money and not know how well you're going to do, its considered a scam. It takes work, and it takes a lot of dedication. I was hired, but I quit, because I interviewed for a receptionist, and they lied to me and told me I'd get it soon, and they never did. They just wanted me to sell & I didn't personally feel safe going into someone's house to sell knives...Just me though. The FI is doing fantastic!

Sorry for that branch off topic. We could both talk for days about cutco. haha. :P Plus, I'm very proud of him for being #4 sales rep  in the nation. :D
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_won-trip-coupon-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:0bdaa0d7-aebc-462f-982c-468b32f5d27dPost:83b2f8f2-0008-4625-9558-cbf0f6a9bf76">Re: won a trip & a coupon card.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heck yes! You people rock! We're total Cutco fanatics, especially because the FI sells it. :) Cutco is for sure the bomb diggity. haha. He was #4 sales rep in the country a few weeks ago! And he's only worked there for 3 months. It's pretty fantastic. It's pretty touch & go though, or it was. It was hard not knowing if sales were going to be made & if we'd get a paycheck.  Now, he's an Assistant Manager, so he's on a salary, which is exciting. Some people said that Vector Marketing is a scam (the company that markets Cutco), but that's just because everyone thinks that if you have to invest any money and not know how well you're going to do, its considered a scam. It takes work, and it takes a lot of dedication.<strong> I was hired, but I quit, because I interviewed for a receptionist, and they lied to me and told me I'd get it soon, and they never did.</strong> They just wanted me to sell & I didn't personally feel safe going into someone's house to sell knives...Just me though. The FI is doing fantastic! Sorry for that branch off topic. We could both talk for days about cutco. haha. :P Plus, I'm very proud of him for being #4 sales rep  in the nation. :D
    Posted by brimcleod[/QUOTE]

Why would you think they were such a great company if they lied to you?

• Saison, that's my point.  They're great knives but Wusthof and Henckles are great products as well.

And ditto for the cookware.  It might be OK (although my understanding is that the quality is the suck) but I am still really leery of buying anything that can't be returned to a brick and mortar store and that is ONLY sold to engaged couples.

I'll stick with my All-Clad and Le Creuset thank you. 
  • wait, banana, are you referring to cutco or that cookware company:

but I am still really leery of buying anything that can't be returned to a brick and mortar store and that is ONLY sold to engaged couples.

in reference to Cutco: it's not just sold to engaged couples, and there's a forever guarantee, which lasts literally forever, instead of other companys that simply offer a "lifetime" guarantee, which only lasts as long as the company says the product's lifetime is. but i'm not sure if you were referring to cutco, or the bogus company i went to see. lol.

and CEW:  i love the company. i just think the manager could have been more honest & clear. he told me when i started that i'd make more money as a sales person, and it would take a few months before they could start me as a receptionist, but he never specified that i HAD to start selling first until several months later. other than that, the company is fabulous! :)
  • Brim, my concern is with the cookware company.

Cutco I know is highly rated.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards