Washington-Seattle
Options

what to wear under the dress?

So I scheduled my first fitting with Deb. Darcy not calling me back was freaking me out and Deb has great reviews too. Anyway, she told me I need my shoes and under stuff..... I don't know what to wear!!

It will be hot as sh!t and I don't want to die of heat stroke. my dress is already enough on my body.. i've tried my dress on with just a bra, with nothing, and with a longline thing and i think they ALL look the same. So what to do? Spend the money for something or not?

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!

Re: what to wear under the dress?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    also.. when should i pick my dress up? i don't really have room for it but i've been jonesin to see it! its been a while since i've visited her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want to wear anything, she should be able to sew in cups or something like that.  I'd at least have a bra on hand, although, you are more endowed than I am, so if you want to flaunt it (which I say everyone should do!) then maybe get a bustier that has boning to add more support??  But something breathableish?  I keep forgetting I gotta go find a crinoline - be sure to get that too if you need one!
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, you should probably wear some underwear...

If they all look the same, just wear what you're the most comfortable in.  I, personally, am not wearing anything (well, except underwear) because the way my dress is made, I don't need it.  When you're picking out understuff though, make sure to keep in mind that other people are going to be helping you into your dress, so you have to decide if you wanna give them a show or not!  Woo!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't wear a bra - had cups sewn in - and I think the dress just sits better/stays with you when you move that way.  I did where a body-shaper type thing because it just made the dress look/fit better (I know I'm not a big person, but it still evened everything out).  The one I wore was like a one-piece swimsuit that stopped below the bust (the ones that just went around the middle with no crotch piece looked funny under the dress).  If you want something like that, make sure to get one where the crotch has snaps/hook&eyes so you can go to the bathroom!  It actually was pretty hard to find, and I can look up the name of the one I finally found if you're interested.

If you think the dress looks the same with or without, don't bother though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am undecided... I think I want to have cups sewn in but I am going to talk to the seamstress first... My friend bought a few bras when she went to her first fitting and then returned the ones she did not like. Could you try that?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    that is a great idea theerickson!

i don't really have that big of boobs.. i wear a C.. nothing crazy. I'll ask her with my dress what she thinks is best. I'd prefer to not have anything on and i wouldn't care to give everyone a show! hope they're ready for it!
  • Options
    LaureltQLaureltQ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm just planning on wearing underwear only.  My dress is fairly supportive though.  If you think the dress can handle it, I'd go with nothing.  Our wedding will be in late August and I know the more layers I wear, the less comfortable I'll be.
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable w/o a bra.  I'm pretty chesty though.  So, do what works for you.  If spanx, body shaper, etc. doesn't matter w/ your dress, skip it.  You'll just spend more money and get hot.  A friend of mine bought all that stuff, but was too hot and took it all off.  It was in Hawaii, but still.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    amandasw - I'd be curious to know what that thing was you had.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

At my first fitting I wore an athletic bra that I ended up just slipping off. The dress looked better without a line of a bra showing through so I am going to go without. Even though I am very well endowed, it just looks better without. Even the seamstress mentioned it. And so I;m going without.

debi & jason 05.01.2010

My Visions Planning Bio

Photobucket

• Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KST - here it is at Macys, and on sale for a great price! http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=154592&CategoryID=47901

The picture looks really weird actually, as if it just goes to her waist, but I think she must be a 7' model with an awkwardly elongated mid-section.  I'm petite (5'), but I still think on most people it would almost go up to your bra.  It shows that there is a seam going horizontal (sort of separating the corset area from the panty area), but that didn't show through.  If you haven't tried on full body shapewear before, most of them have this weird slit you're supposed to pull apart to pee... gross and weird (not to mention what happens if you miss, ew).  This was seriously the only thing I could find with this shape that actually came undone down there.
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PS I just read the description... "Allover tonal brocade adds a sensual note." hahahaha

PPS I got married during the summer, and although it wasn't a super hot day, through all the dancing etc I didn't really notice it.  The biggest thing I thought was not getting one that covered any part of my legs because that's the part I think I would have noticed.  Unless you have a super flowy dress that isn't tight anywhere, I don't think adding a layer to the the mid-section would make too much of a difference as far as heat.  (for me, my mid-section was going to be hot either way since my dress was already pretty tight there with a lot of structure and layers)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww, it's only available in black size large. :(

Sara - didn't mean you are super endowed, just more than I am - I WISH I was a C! I'd be happy going up one cup size.  Laughing  If your dress has enough structural support and boning, you should be fine without anything underneath.  It's typically the dresses that don't have much support or for ladies who want to prop the girls up more (or keep them up) that would want to look into more support.  Personally, I'm on the fence.  Haven't decided if I'll get something or not.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I actually didn't get mine at Macys because I found it cheaper on another website.   There were a lot of those online undergarment places selling it so I just looked around until I found the best price, I'm sure someone would have it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

When I got my dress I was wearing a strapless bra, unbelievable because I wear a large size and usually strapless doesn't like holding me up. This one did, and it too is from Macy's.
    I'm leaning towards a corset, something sexy to unveil after the wedding for my FI and plus it'll make me curvier. I have big bust, tiny waist, big hips, so I want them accentuated but smoothed out, you know what I mean?
    Don't know what type of underwear I'm gonna use yet. I was thinking thong, less heat, but if I biff it, I don't want the world to see my cheeks. So I'm still thinking on that.
    And thank you Amandasw! I've been looking into those as well in case a corset doesn't pan out! Just want something to slim the look.

Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a 34 dd & I am not wearing a bra... tmi? oops - what i meant is if you are comfortable in your dress w/o a bra & you have the support (and it's not going to fall off) then don't wear one. When I get all dolled up I hardly wear a bra, of course unless I have to! The bodice on my dress is very beaded so it's kinda hard & very sturdy. So I will not need a bra.

But I like the sound of this body shaper. I clicked the link & it says its no longer avail. but I wanted to ask Amanda if it is similar to this one:
    http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4058276&cp=2992553.4083694&parentPage=family

• Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_wear-under-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:d9ff886b-119b-4c0f-9742-ec24d044cec9Post:f82c89b5-6e8e-408f-8dff-486600dbd6b3">Re: what to wear under the dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I clicked the link & it says its no longer avail. but I wanted to ask Amanda if it is similar to this one: <a href="http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4058276&cp=2992553.4083694&parentPage=family" rel="nofollow">http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4058276&cp=2992553.4083694&parentPage=family</a>
    Posted by angstocker22[/QUOTE]

No, I think it's pretty different because the one you posted goes down your thigh whereas the one I had stopped like underwear.  I think this is the website where I got mine: <a href="http://www.freshpair.com/Flexees-Instant-Slimmer-Waist-Nipper-Brief-6818.html?CID=OTC-2990&CAWELAID=380271422" rel="nofollow">http://www.freshpair.com/Flexees-Instant-Slimmer-Waist-Nipper-Brief-6818.html?CID=OTC-2990&CAWELAID=380271422</a>

If you just google the name lots of websites come up (many of which have free shipping too).  Glad to help :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooohh! Yes, that is very different! I was thinking of getting ones with the shorts, to smooth out the legs & no panty lines.

I think I might go to the mall and try both of these types on. Maybe at Macy's if they still have them there.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what kind of dress you have, but if you have one that's either slinky (the kind where you'd have panty lines) or an empire waist that flows out, you could wear the ones that go down over your thighs because the dress would potentially be easy to pull up to take it off to go to the bathroom. 

However, if you have something that's going to have any sort of structure around your middle, it will be difficult (if not impossible) to go to the bathroom.  I sort of mentioned before that the ones that go down the leg will either have no opening down there (so you have to pull it down) or they have a weird slit you hold apart... which I thought was gross (not to mention if you have to do more than pee...).  On the plus side, dresses that have more stucture tend to be thicker so you wouldn't really have panty lines.

Ack, I hope that makes sense. good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards