July 2013 Weddings

Flowers

Hi ladies! I am feeling annoyed because I contacted a potential florist (friend of my DOC) over two weeks ago via email to get a quote for her services, and I still have not received a quote! I asked her up-front for a quote at least twice. She got info from me such as my venues, size of BP, color scheme, etc. Last week she said "I really prefer to meet my brides in person first to talk about the wedding before giving a quote." I replied, "okay, I'm available on these days and times"... and I have heard nothing back from her.  

Am I doing something wrong? This is the first florist I have contacted, so I don't know if this is typical or not. Do florists need to meet with the bride first before working up a quote? I thought she would be able to conceptualize something based on our numerous emails and at least give me a ballpark with her ideas. I would like to work with this person since she's a friend of my DOC and I could probably get a good deal from her, but I'm already annoyed with her and feeling like her lack of follow-up is unprofessional. Am I being too harsh? Should I wait around, or look elsewhere?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Flowers

• Two weeks is more than enough time to send a potential client an email, even if it says Im sorry, Im on vacation, fsmily emergency, whatever. I would send a follow up email WITH a copy of your original email in that message asking if shes had a chance to review anything you asked. If you dont hear back I would give up and move on.....unless you live relatively close, then Id think about MAYBE going there to talk to her. Thats certainly no way to treat anyone. Good luck!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Two weeks is usually plenty of time - but keep in mind that we are right in the middle of wedding season (well almost near the end now) so most florits are insanely busy. All of the florists I've met with over the past few weeks have been swamped and it was VERY difficult for me to get the meetings with them. Just be persistent. I would try call in and speak to someone about setting up an appointment. It is more direct than going back and forth over email. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice! I don't have her number, so I'll just send her a follow-up email tomorrow (which will be one week since the last time I heard from her) and start looking around at other florists in the meantime. Flowers are the big stressor for me right now, so I would just feel better if I was being proactive instead of sitting around and waiting for someone to decide it's time to respond to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed Chels. We actually had this problem with the first ceremony musican we were going to use. He was sooo non-responsive. I would call and e-mail him all the time and he would always be like "that's cool- whatever" and I could never get a contract from him. I felt like I was beggging him to let us pay him haha. So i just canned him and moved on to someone else. Wouldn't be a bad idea to shop around. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I'm going to shop around for sure. If it works out with this chick, then great... but I don't want to wait and see! 

So, do most florists want/need an in-person consult before giving a quote? Or is that something that can be discussed via email/phone? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm kind of wondering the same thing.  I think I would prefer an in-person meeting, just so I could kind of get a feel for if I like them and they're going to give good service.  I think they'd be more reluctant to give a quote over e-mail/the phone because it seems less like you're serious about booking them.  It does take time to make a quote and I think they'd be less likely to do one for you if they thought you weren't serious.  They probably would also prefer in-person so they can get a good idea of what you want from pictures and such and so they can show you their work.  E-mail can take a while and over the phone it's hard to know exactly what someone wants just from their descriptions.
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:ccfd3cb3-49f2-4366-8793-dc819aff4bc4Post:7865892f-afe9-4d7f-98b4-ba439341cd88">Re: Flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm kind of wondering the same thing.  I think I would prefer an in-person meeting, just so I could kind of get a feel for if I like them and they're going to give good service.  I think they'd be more reluctant to give a quote over e-mail/the phone because it seems less like you're serious about booking them.  It does take time to make a quote and I think they'd be less likely to do one for you if they thought you weren't serious.  They probably would also prefer in-person so they can get a good idea of what you want from pictures and such and so they can show you their work.  E-mail can take a while and over the phone it's hard to know exactly what someone wants just from their descriptions.
    Posted by emmyroo[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Very good points emmy! Thanks for your input. :)

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards