Not Engaged Yet

Series of Unfortunate Events

Last night ended up feeling like a train wreck to me and in the end I just had to sit back and laugh at myself. Thought you ladies might enjoy the story. Sorry it's so long.

Yesterday, my FI went to pick up his tux for the wedding he is in tomorrow night. He went at 12 and the truck with the tux wasn't scheduled to arrive till one so he asked me to pick it up on the way home. I left 30 minutes early to go pick it up, didn't have any problems with picking it up, but sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get home (usually it takes 20 minutes).

I had to make a cake last night for a going away party today at work and I had asked my FI to pick up all of the ingredients that morning when he was free. When I got home and went to make the cake, I realized he got me brownie mix instead of chocolate cake and whipped cream cheese instead of whipping cream.

I go to the store and get what I need and come back and make the first cake. While it is cooling, I realize that I have nothing to put this cake on. I look all over my apartment for a box or anything that will work and can't find anything. I go over to my friend's apartment and knock, but he doesn't answer. So, I end up going to some random neighbor's apartment who is in the process of moving in and ask them for a box. I felt like a total idiot.

I go back and turn it into a 'plate' with foil covering it. I flip the first cake onto it and realize it is way to big. I get out my box knife and proceed to cut it in half. By the time I was done, I had a nice gash in my leg too. The bright side is that I changed into shorts before starting so I didn't cut a big hole in my nice dress pants. Matt called me right as this was happening so all he heard from me was very short responses. He went to the rehearsal dinner while I stayed and worked on the cake.

While the second layer is baking, I realize that he got margarine instead of butter. I tried to make a batch of icing with it, but it was really thin and wouldn't work for icing the cake. I had to go back to the store and get butter.

The second layer was being a total pain and crumbled some on me, but oh well it was on there. I decorated the cake and by the time I got to cleaning it was 11. Matt was at the bar with all of his friends and I wanted to make sure he made it home ok so I called and asked if he wanted me to come pick him up.

I go pick his drunk a$$ up and on the way back he was very grumpy. Complaining that all he got from me tonight were negative vibes and that I never let him hangout with his friends and so on and so forth. I finally got to bed around one and had to get up before six this morning.

Here is a picture of the cake.
Well that is the end of my story. How was everyone else's evening?

Re: Series of Unfortunate Events

• Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I like the cake, but not the gash in your leg :)

And I mean, you have evidence of why you were in a bad mood (said gash in your leg) - tell your FI to chill out :) 

I'm the absolute worst worst worst at forgetting stuff at the store htough :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_series-of-unfortunate-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:90e63bcb-e21d-4c3b-8b08-3e75f0621280Post:ce003c59-a253-4324-b102-2d3a433fb75b">Re: Series of Unfortunate Events</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the cake, but not the gash in your leg :) And I mean, you have evidence of why you were in a bad mood (said gash in your leg) - tell your FI to chill out :)  I'm the absolute worst worst worst at forgetting stuff at the store htough :)
    Posted by Blue & White[/QUOTE]

It's not that he forgot anything, he just got all of the wrong things. He thought I was upset with him because he got the wrong things. And so was making himself feel bad for being out.
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. What a bummer of a night. Sorry to hear it, Nik! but hey, at least you made an awesome cake by the end of it. I like the prostrated dude on top. :)
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like one layer over another.  You're stronger than me I would have thrown in the towel and watched TV.  Cake looks awesome!  I hope that today  goes better!  I hear duck tape and super glue are great handy fix its for cuts and gashes. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_series-of-unfortunate-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:90e63bcb-e21d-4c3b-8b08-3e75f0621280Post:ee3a629b-8c4c-4a29-b63b-9a4d170185b1">Re: Series of Unfortunate Events</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. What a bummer of a night. Sorry to hear it, Nik! but hey, at least you made an awesome cake by the end of it. I like the prostrated dude on top. :)
    Posted by marleylikeair[/QUOTE]

We were make fun of him. He is going to work for a protective engineering firm. We are an explosives and ballistics research company. He always has nasty socks in his office, which are the little brown things under 'protect.' He got his socks blown off ;)
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_series-of-unfortunate-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:90e63bcb-e21d-4c3b-8b08-3e75f0621280Post:445022fa-fae1-4c06-9a49-726a7e201dd1">Re: Series of Unfortunate Events</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Series of Unfortunate Events : We were make fun of him. He is going to work for a protective engineering firm. We are an explosives and ballistics research company. He always has nasty socks in his office, which are the little brown things under 'protect.' He got his socks blown off ;)
    Posted by niknik15[/QUOTE]

Haha. That's hilarious.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_series-of-unfortunate-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:90e63bcb-e21d-4c3b-8b08-3e75f0621280Post:31918d9c-4670-4747-8bf9-43814fb5aeea">Re: Series of Unfortunate Events</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like one layer over another.  You're stronger than me I would have thrown in the towel and watched TV.  Cake looks awesome!  I hope that today  goes better!  I hear duck tape and super glue are great handy fix its for cuts and gashes. 
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

I almost did, but I knew everyone from work was expecting a yummy cake from me. I had to finish.

I have plenty of duct tape. I use it on almost everything; I used it to hold the foil on the underside of the board. I think this is one of the few cases that I won't use it.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and I forgot to mention at 3 this morning I woke up to a random spam text message saying I was being awarded so many british pounds.
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    That cake turned out awesome... hope your friend appreciated it!

My night was decent. The professional org that I'm president of had a networking night. They didn't have our party of 25 on the books so after 10 mins of panicking, they finally found us a spot. We had some good new people attend that are excited about the org, so that's good.

Then I met my BF for the end of the U of A/Duke game. I hate Duke (I went to a rival ACC school AND they rejected me twice when I tried applying there for undergrad) and my BF is a UA grad, so it was a good night on both counts. 

Nik - hope today goes better and the gash doesn't hurt too bad!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Wow Nikik I am sorry it was a rough night. On the upside your cake looks awesome and you know you can get through anything:) 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    It looks like you did an impressive job with the cake despite all the hurdles.  Good for you!

But I'm not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed that this thread wasn't about the book series...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to get your hopes up Elle. It just seemed like the right title for everything that happened.

Tiger - I'm glad your networking night turned out well.
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    No worries, Nik.  It was an appropriate title for sure.
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love the cake!

You're a trooper, I would've given up with that laundry list of acceptable excuses.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • tmacwintmacwin member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Wow, the cake is awesome!  Have you taken a cake decorating class to learn how to do all of that?

I'm sorry you had so many struggles last night, but it looks like it paid off today! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_series-of-unfortunate-events?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:90e63bcb-e21d-4c3b-8b08-3e75f0621280Post:df5c6396-aed8-4255-ab1c-9acb47846811">Re: Series of Unfortunate Events</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, the cake is awesome!  Have you taken a cake decorating class to learn how to do all of that? I'm sorry you had so many struggles last night, but it looks like it paid off today! 
    Posted by tmacwin[/QUOTE]

Yes, I took two classes at Micheals, but I don't really feel like I learned that much at the classes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards