Hawaii

Guest List Issue

Hi Hawaii Knotties,
My Fiance and I are currently working on our guest list and have reached a crossroad with one guest in particular, my calabash uncle's wife. See, my uncle's wife had disrespected our family two years ago when she told my sister, mom and me that my dead grandma wasn't supposed to be with him because of her timely death. I was offended. This woman had no idea what my grandmother went through and she has never apologized for what she had said. Till this day, I haven't said anything to him about it, but now I've been receiving news from my sister that my parents are expecting me to invite her when I have no desire to waste $60 on her. She has no significant impact on mines or my fiance's life and we don't know what to do. Were paying for the entire wedding. Help!

Re: Guest List Issue

• edited December 2011
    Okay, you hate your uncle's wife. She's a jerk. If she has no idea what your grandmother went through, and if you haven't said anything in the past two years, does she know how deeply she's offended you? 

I think the bigger question you have to ask yourself is: what's going to happen to your relationship with your uncle and cousins (if you have them) if you don't invite their mother/wife?

If you're happy to write them all out of your lives, then by all means, don't invite her. But, if you uncle is important to you, you really do have to suck it up, be the bigger person (which totally sucks sometimes) and extend the invite.
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with what Alyson said!
    I also think you should invite whoever you want to be there for your big day.  If someone's presence will make you feel uncomfortable or unhappy, why bother?  It's really up to you and your fiance who you want to invite and who you would feel comfortable with. 

Definitely pick your battles and if you think it's worth it, do what you wish.  On the other hand, you do need to consider how this would impact your relationship with other relatives and whether you would feel fine with that.  Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards