Illinois-Chicago

This bothers me...

I am so frustrated with bridesmaid dresses.

I'm being told if anyone is 5'8 WITH shoes, they will have to pay an additional $40 since the dress is long.  Fine.  Maybe I can understand.

Also, they said if anyone is over size 16, they will have to pay another $30.  The thing is, my friend who is normally size 8 called because she is freaking out she is a size 14.  I let her know that the sizes run big compared to "street clothes" and not to worry. However, I have two girls that are really tall and are a bigger size so I feel like they will get his with this fee.  I know generally speaking, the bigger the size, the more it costs to make because more material is involved, BUT it annoys how out of whack the sizing is making people who really aren't a size 16 pay for it!  

/end rant

Re: This bothers me...

• edited December 2011
    I wore an Alfred Angelo dress in my sister's wedding two years ago. I'm 5'8 so they told me to order extra length (extra $30). I had to wear 3 inch heels because the dress was really long when I got it.  Even with 3' heels, the dress was still a little long on the day of the wedding (hem touched the floor). I had to be extra careful not to step on the hem. See pic below, I'm the second BM and you can see the fabric touching the floor.

• edited December 2011
    I had to order an extra long bridesmaid dress for my best friend's wedding this fall and I don't consider myself very tall at 5' 7.5".  I'm with you on it being super annoying!  If possible, see if your girls can try on the exact style dress that you're ordering and see how the length is.  They only had the dress I was ordering in a super small size so I couldn't try it on but I did try on the same designer in two other styles.  One was perfect length, the other was definitely too short.  I went with the extra length because I would have felt horrible if the dress came in and was too short. 
  • Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The manufacturers try to get you any way they can and it's so not cool! Is there any other dress that you like? I dont' know if I would want to pass along the extra fees to the girls, if it were me. I know everyone has different tastes, but you might find a tea length dress you like?
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I am 5'10 and have never had to order a dress with extra length.  The long BM dresses are usually the perfect length for me (about a hands width from hem to floor).  I've also never heard of having to pay extra for bigger sizes but maybe it depends on where you go.  That is VERY frustrating!! 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_this-bothers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:bf8a743d-46b0-44d1-97ad-1f212bb29576Post:6e58958b-ee1d-49a7-888b-096e014fda16">Re: This bothers me...</a>:
    [QUOTE]The manufacturers try to get you any way they can and it's so not cool! Is there any other dress that you like? I dont' know if I would want to pass along the extra fees to the girls, if it were me.<strong> I know everyone has different tastes, but you might find a tea length dress you like?</strong>
    Posted by Sparkette19[/QUOTE]

The thing is, I gave my girls an option of picking their own dresses (but I would pick the color) and they actually didn't like that idea. They all also wanted long because they think it will be too cold in October for tealength.  Plus, since my wedding is less that 4 months away, I can't even order from some of the designers.  I keep telling myself, it all works out in the end, ha.
  • edited December 2011
    I work for a manufacturer ( and by my posts you'll see also a bride ;)) of bridal,bridesmaid etc gowns..

Our company cuts bridesmaid gowns for a 5'10 bride, all companies are different though, you might want to ask the store how tall they cut for so you can make your own decision on whether you want to pay for extra length or not.

Also as far as sizing, the reason the bridal industry sizing is so much smaller than your street clothes, is b/c bridal is the only industry that hasnt given into "vanity sizing" In the late 70's designers started adjusting sizes based on the theory that if a woman thinks she's smaller she'll but that product... So girls who were a size 10 in the 50's might now where a size 6.

I also know, that every manuafacturer charges more for plus sizes, some stores might include that charge in every gown so that not to upset the brides/bridesmaids or just eat the cost.
    Plus size is determined by at what size gown does the manufacturer need to use more fabric.

Anyways, that said, I understand the need to rant /vent.. paying more money for anything is never fun ... :)
    nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    Also, AshleyK's tip is perfect.. if they have any dress by that designer, in the actual size the girls will be ordering have them try it on, and base their decesions on the length of tha sample gown
    nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh...these bridal shops KILL Me with their prices!
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • edited December 2011
    P.S. Bridal Shops are also really hurting b/c Brides go online and buy from discounters who only sell online and don't have a shop or any overhead so they make imposter gowns or sell the dresses for barely over cost.. I know many knotties have done this to save money, but all thats going to do is eventually kill all bridal stores, and noone will be able to try dresses on in person b/c all the stores will be out of business.

nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_this-bothers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:bf8a743d-46b0-44d1-97ad-1f212bb29576Post:de3259b3-ffe8-47f0-b8d6-6eeb415f6ad5">Re: This bothers me...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work for a manufacturer ( and by my posts you'll see also a bride ;)) of bridal,bridesmaid etc gowns.. Our company cuts bridesmaid gowns for a 5'10 bride, all companies are different though, you might want to ask the store how tall they cut for so you can make your own decision on whether you want to pay for extra length or not. Also as far as sizing, the reason the bridal industry sizing is so much smaller than your street clothes, <strong>is b/c bridal is the only industry that hasnt given into "vanity sizing" In the late 70's designers started adjusting sizes based on the theory that if a woman thinks she's smaller she'll but that product</strong>... So girls who were a size 10 in the 50's might now where a size 6. I also know, that every manuafacturer charges more for plus sizes, some stores might include that charge in every gown so that not to upset the brides/bridesmaids or just eat the cost. Plus size is determined by at what size gown does the manufacturer need to use more fabric. Anyways, that said, I understand the need to rant /vent.. paying more money for anything is never fun ... :)
    Posted by nikikarabetsos[/QUOTE]

Okay, I could get the vanity thing, and maybe have the sizing be off a few numbers, but one of my friends (who is in a different wedding) is a size 0-2 in real life, but the bridal store told her she is a size 20.  Hmm.  Something seems off...
  • edited December 2011
    Did you look at JCrew? Some of their dresses come in long lengths and they are regular sizes. Or Ann Taylor ?

I get what you mean though, the sizing was all over the place... I think it is a total guess when it comes to BM dresses, bridal dresses actually seem to be way better
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_this-bothers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:bf8a743d-46b0-44d1-97ad-1f212bb29576Post:647f6a1c-9917-4c4c-b965-069d203dadb7">Re: This bothers me...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This bothers me... : Okay, I could get the vanity thing, and maybe have the sizing be off a few numbers, but one of my friends (who is in a different wedding) is a size 0-2 in real life, but the bridal store told her she is a size 20.  Hmm.  Something seems off...
    Posted by TatiMarie[/QUOTE]

Ummm yea,.. something is definatley wrong there! I think bridal stores should really show the bride the manufacturer size chart that way they have more confidence in the size they are ordering.. a size 20 for a size 2 is beyond ridiculous
    nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugg I totally hear this! I bought a Bill Levkoff in November for my friend's wedding in May. The woman convinced me I was going to need a dress three sizes bigger than my "street size" and had to pay around $30 more for it. I ended up having to get it taken in and it cost me $65 more!  I should of just listened to my gut and told her that I was going to get a smaller size that probably would have been fine.

I have a JCrew dress for another friend's wedding at the end of July and it's so nice because they are true to size.
  • edited December 2011
    I believe that this is what HOB tried to do to us when we were there.  They all but threaten you into purchasing a size much larger than you need-- and work very hard to be sure you don't see the actual measurements on the tape as they do them.  In the case of BM's who are then pushed into plus sizing, this can mean an additional $30 fee ("BECAUSE THEY'LL NEED EXTRA FABRIC TO MAKE YOUR DRESS," as the ysaleswoman all but yelled across the busy sales counter to one of my girls), then an additional $75 or so for alterations when the dress comes in swimming on you.

I agree on the vanity sizing point, but at some of these less-scrupulous, mega outlets, there's often somethign shadier going on.

P.S.-  We did not purchase our dresses at HOB.  My girls bought them online through Netbride and saved over $100/each, measure themselves, and had far less alteration work.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_this-bothers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:bf8a743d-46b0-44d1-97ad-1f212bb29576Post:b3998e9a-9ac1-476e-b97c-50eadcfdd74e">Re: This bothers me...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I I agree on the vanity sizing point, but at some of these less-scrupulous, mega outlets, there's often somethign shadier going on.
    Posted by Ainslie325[/QUOTE]

def agree with the mega outlets comment
    nikiplanning.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    I think the sizing thing only applies to bridesmaid dresses. I've always heard you need to try on/wear a dress that's 2-3 sizes bigger than normal in bridal/wedding gowns. But to be honest, when it came to shopping for a gown I found all the wedding dresses I tried to be true to size? At Priscilla of Boston and Belle Vie most of the size 10's fit perfectly, my size in real life. As far as bridesmaid dresses, in the past I think I ordered size 12's (David's Bridal & Jasmine) but have lost weight since then. So I guess I felt those dresses ran truer to size than what I'm reading above.

Personally for our wedding we are doing Ann Taylor dresses. They're great since they run true to size, can be ordered and returned online... and they arrive in 2 days in Chicago since the distribution center is in Bolingbrook! :) Highly recommend!!
  • platinumkateplatinumkate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look into saving some money by getting your BM dresses at Pearls Place or Net Bride. The measurements for many of the gown manufacturers are surprisingly accurate. The local stores scare you into ordering bigger sizes so they can charge you more. I had a friend who briefly worked for one of the dress chains and said to order your regular size as it is safe to do so.
  • lunacydresslunacydress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I hate it.  We went to Volle's in Lake Zurich and went with dresses from B2.  I let each girl pick their own style (but the same length, fabric, color, etc.) and they charged my plus-sized BM $50 extra.  It was still a size that was within the "normal" range, not like it was custom made.  And of course, they don't mention the extra charge until you've picked your dress, taken your measurements and are ready to pay.  If you're going to charge extra for a size 18 and over (or whatever the cut-off is) then don't say the dress comes in size 18, 20, 22, 24, etc.  Say anything over a 16 is a custom size.  It's so stupid and deceitful.  I mean, they don't charge less for size 0-4, so don't they save money on the dresses in those sizes?  You'd think it would balance out somewhere.

I'm sorry that bridal stores are hurting, I really am, but with stupid policies like these, who can blame people for going online for a better deal?  I know it's the manufacturers adding these charges, but if the shops took a stand for their customers, then the manufacturers wouldn't get away with it.  It's really nice that bridal stores exist and I'm glad we got to try the dresses on in person, but I've bought clothes online before, found out they don't fit and sent them back and got an exchange or a refund.  So if brick-and-mortar stores weren't around, I don't think the bridal industry would end.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards