Florida-North Florida

Bunch of Etiquette Questions (XP in Etiquette)

This is going to be long... Sorry
  • I recently switched jobs in January. At my old workplace, I only worked closed with 2 people - the company co-owner and another person (let's call them A and B of easy referencing). There were 6 of us in the company, 2 of which are owners... Should I invite only A and B or the 2 co-owners?
  • At my new workplace, there are only 15 of us and 2 co-owners. My budget would not allow me to invite all of them, but it would allow me to invite the people that I work with closely (2 of them and the co-owners). Should I just follow my budget allowance?
  • One of my guest would like her kids to be the flower girl and ringbearer. Problem is the girl is 11 and the boy is 9. I feel that it is a little too old... What do you think?
  • Another guest (divorced) is trying to get us not to invite her ex-husband. He has a girlfriend and will probably bring her. My mother said I should invite him regardless as he was a significant part of my life back in college...  
Argh... My head is swimming with all these etiquette stuff. Can you ladies please offer some advice? Thanks!

Re: Bunch of Etiquette Questions (XP in Etiquette)

• doc1026doc1026 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same issue with coworkers. I decided against inviting anyone from work to the wedding. I just wanted my family and truly close friends. That was an easy way to let my coworkers understand about them not being invited.  If you really want to invite the ones you are super close with, I might try and tell them not to let the others know about being invited. I have learned one thing with all this wedding planning, people get their feelings hurt for all sorts of stupid reasons. But all in all its your wedding and your budget. Don't let anyone tell you how it should be.

As for the friend wanting her children to be in the wedding party, she has no right. They are too old and really that is your decision not hers. However, that doesn't mean she understands that :) a good way to let her down would be to say you aren't having a flower girl or ringbearer. If not explain that they are too old. I am sure you can find something on the internet that shows the appropriate age. Furthermore, I would never have wanted to be a flower girl at the age of 11.

For my last bit of advice, invite the ex husband. They are grown ups and should be able to act accordingly. Its your wedding, remember that!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I can't offer any help with the co-worker issue.. since I'm having the same problem.

However, invite the ex-husband if You want to.  This is YOUR guest list and you invite whome you feel is important to you. (my sister is in the process of a divorce and I spoke to her about that fact that Im inviting her soon to be ex and she was totally ok with it)  I think its very immature that someone would have the nerve to even Ask you to do that.

The flower girl ring bearer thing...  before this woman approached you about having her kids in the wedding.. did the thought of them  being in it even cross your mind???  If the answer is No...  then there you go.

Dont let other people decide who your guests are or who is in your bridal party unless They are writing the checks to pay for the wedding. 

Don't be mean about it just simply say "no, im sorry but we are not having flower girls or ring bearers in the wedding"........... if you want them to be part of the day then have them help hand out programs or something. 

Good luck.
    ~Alissa & Frank 10.9.10~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards