Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Having different photographers for engagement and wedding shoot?

Hi!! My fiance and I will be going on a trip to Los Angeles this April to visit family. I'm originally from northwest LA and he proposed to me when we made the trip last September so I have my heart set on doing the engagment shoot there as we will not be able to leave Texas for our wedding.

My question is: Is it a bad idea to hire two different photographers? I'm told that one of the main reasons to have the engagement shoot in the first place is to become aqcuainted with your photographer as a couple prior to the wedding.

Sorry for the length... Thanks!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Having different photographers for engagement and wedding shoot?

• I don't think it makes any difference.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • The engagement shoot is a great chance to get to know your photographers and for them to get to know you - this will help on the day of the wedding because they'll know how you operate - and remember that they're going to be with you all day, so you better like them! :)

That said, maybe you can get the engagement pictures in a locaiton that's special to you and arrange to do something else with your photographers - a second session, or a holiday session, or a family session (got a dog? those are great), or even a boudoir session.  It doesn't have to be nearly as big, but it is a chance to work together.  AND you get your extraspecial pictures where you want.  (Alternatively, you could ask your photographer what they would charge to travel up and take pictures there - some have pretty reasonable rates, especially if they have other business in the area - maybe set up a family shoot with them?)

Good luck!
    Amber
    http://tomadamphotography.com
  • It's not bad, you'll just be missing out on that "getting to know your photographer" deal. Have you actually booked a photographer for the wedding? They might include a engagement shoot anyway. So you could always do two.
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_having-different-photographers-for-engagement-and-wedding-shoot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:09d67d15-2b10-4a74-8f1f-edca4479fdfbPost:2c27046e-4285-4329-86ed-143e8ee03265">Re: Having different photographers for engagement and wedding shoot?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not bad, you'll just be missing out on that "getting to know your photographer" deal. Have you actually booked a photographer for the wedding? They might include a engagement shoot anyway. So you could always do two.
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We haven't yet, but will probably end up doing what Tom Adam suggested.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the responses! :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards