African American Weddings

Who to walk with you down the aisle

In my case, my dad passed away three years ago...Is it Cliche' to ask and uncle or brother, or would you just take the walk alone?

Re: Who to walk with you down the aisle

• tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad passed in May. I think I'm going to have my uncle (on my mom's side, since there's only one) to walk me down the aisle. But that's just me.... HTH
  • edited December 2011
    I have an older brother, but I also have an uncle in mind...I just don't know what to do....
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think any of it is cliche'.  You should ask whomever you would feel most comfortable with walk you.  If you don't feel you have that type of a connection with anyone, then I say walk alone.  You will look just as beautiful whichever you choose.  What would you like to do?
    Bio (updated 4/3/10 with invitations) AAW Board Brides
    500 invitedimage 301 acceptedimage 101 declinedimage

RSVP date: April 23rd Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with mandykaykay, dont worry about being cliche on this, its about who you want to walk with you if anyone at all, if you have a very close uncle or brother then that would make sense, if not then you walking alone would be beautiful....its all up to you. 
  • edited December 2011
    I don't EVEN know...I would like to ask my uncle, but I don't want to hurt my brothers feelings...
  • edited December 2011
    I just read your last post, if you feel equally close to both, then walkign alone might be best, no hurt feelings this way.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Mandikaykay....Have the person you have the closes connection with to walk you down the aisle.  If it so happens to be neither or you just can't decide because you don't want to hurt any ones feelings then you'll be perfectly find to walk yourself.  Either way all eyes will be on you.  GL with your decision.Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everybody....it's the times like this when I really miss my dad...ya know..
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My lil bro asked me if he could do it. IDK what to do either. It's not that big of a deal to me, though.
  • edited December 2011
    @RAVJ2001...Don't worry....I know your dad would be really proud of you for whatever decision you make.  Stay strong!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    it's hard isn't it.....
  • edited December 2011
    (((hugs))) Thank you.....
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_walk-down-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:71be9c8c-6d18-41d5-9c7e-e778c18375c9Post:8940e4d4-3d0d-4e70-9294-b6320aeeefd1">Re: Who to walk with you down the aisle</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think any of it is cliche'.  You should ask whomever you would feel most comfortable with walk you.  If you don't feel you have that type of a connection with anyone, then I say walk alone.  You will look just as beautiful whichever you choose.  What would you like to do?
    Posted by mandikaykay[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this.
  • ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Could both of them walk you down the aisle since you are close to the both of them? Just a thought. My dad passed away 10 years ago but my oldest brother promised him that he will walk all his sisters down the aisle which is fitting since my brother has his name.

Whatever you decide, it will be best for all involved.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with ladylum, why not have both of them walk you down the aisle.
  • edited December 2011
    My dad also passed away a few years ago. I think I am having my (baby) brother walk me dowm the aisle.

I agree with the other ladies, whichever one who are the closest to, or the one who really reminds you of your dad.
  • edited December 2011
    My father passed away when I was little (like 7yrs old). I have a close family friend who I told could walk me down the aisle a long long time ago before the engagement even came about. Well now my mom says she wants to walk me down. Well I've told everybody I am walking SOLO. I don't want anyone to walk me down the aisle mainly because (this is just in my case) I feel like no one can every replace my Daddy and although he is not here with me he will be walking with me in spirit.

I think you should do what you feel is best for you.

HTH
  • csuperstar02csuperstar02 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_walk-down-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:71be9c8c-6d18-41d5-9c7e-e778c18375c9Post:a52dcc2b-f14e-49f2-847f-e5236efe7553">Re: Who to walk with you down the aisle</a>:
    [QUOTE] Could both of them walk you down the aisle since you are close to the both of them? Just a thought. [/QUOTE]

This.

I never had a relationship w/ my sperm donor. My grandfather and uncle have been there throughout. I have always planned to have them both walk me down the aisle. My uncle has been very sick over the last few years and my grandpa is now, ummm, almost 79 I think, so it's that much more important to me.

or
    my sister walked with her mom.

I definitely don't think it's cliche; it really is up to what you want!

?Well-behaved women rarely make history.?

?PAL/PGAL Welcome!?

Untitled

?BFP #1~4.29.11 | Blighted Ovum DX~6.2.11 | D&C~6.9.11?

Dx Unicornuate Uterus 4.12

?BFP #2~10.12.12,EDD 6.27.13| 11.8.12 - no growth :(| natural m/c 11.25.12| D&C 2.8.13 ?

• edited December 2011
    My dad has not been a part of my life for the most part. Just recently we re-connected and he wants to give me away. I've decided that my 17 year old son will walk me part way, then hand me over to my dad who will complete the walk and officially give me away. this way they both play a part in the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I think itis completely up to you.  My father passed 12 yrs ago and yes, it is still hard.  I asked my mother's youngest brother to walk me as 1- he and I have a very close relationship 2-he and my father had a good relationship and 3- he survived being hit by a jeep four years ago...my family was told he would die, and then, when he did not, we were told he would never walk, and then we were told he would not have "his right mind".  To sum it up, he has had many surgeries and still has extensive therapy and is walking and, he lives alone and maintains all of his finances and is in school.  So, for me, it is most important he walk me down the aisle.  HTH
  • edited December 2011
    I think that you can get who ever you want to walk you down the aisle. Even your mother. I am having my Step father walk me down.
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • edited December 2011
    This is something I struggle with also. My father was around the first part of my life, my parents divorced when I was 9, and he disappeared for the majority of the next years, up until about 2 years ago (drug abuse). My grandfather was the one that was there for me, making sure my daughter and I ate while I was in college and grad school....so my grandfather will definitely be walking me down the aisle, at least part way, I'm thinking to just have my mother, father and grandfather stand up to give me away, but that will be a day to honor my grandfather, withuot totally excluding my father, because he is making a truly conscious effort. So why not have them both, or one do halfway and the other the rest of the way, or have them both stand up to give you away...plenty of options and as all the PP's have said, its up to YOU HTH Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards