Massachusetts-Boston

Wedding dress freak out...

Okay, so my dress came in this week and I went to pick it up today.  I tried it on and I was, well, underwhelmed.  I was expecting the experience to feel more significant but it just felt like any other dress.

Now I'm looking at the photos of it and I feel like maybe I made a mistake.  I don't really like it as much as I thought I did.  I mean, there isn't anything that I like better.  I think I wish I got a fuller skirt.  I feel like the fitting through the hips makes me look wide.  And I guess I thought the skirt would flare out more.

Here are some pics.  What do you guys think?  Anyone have a similar experience?  What should I do?  I'm really sad that I don't love my dress.

Love this veil, but $200?  Ouch!  Can't afford that.

Here is the full train.  I don't like it, so I'm thinking about cutting it shorter like the second photo.

Re: Wedding dress freak out...

• woodiewoodie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I think it looks absolutely elegant and dramatic on you!  It flatters your figure, the color is awesome with your skin tone, it looks comfortable, and it will make a great statement when you walk down the aisle! 

Maybe try it on at home, with jewerly, hair and makeup and picture yourself on your wedding day. 

I think you've made a great choice.  8)
  • edited December 2011
    do you have a petty coat on? That might help some.
    if you know its not the one, i'd keep looking if you have time.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think you look gorgeous!!  The dress is stunning.  It's very flattering.  I second guessed myself for a while when I hadn't seen my dress for a few months and I was watching too many episodes of say yes to the dress.  but it was definately the perfect dress for me in the end.  So, keep looking if you want, but know that cold feet about the dress is normal and try (though it might seem impossible) not to stress about it too much!
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, I love that dress- I think it looks gorgeous on you.

But I also find that people are a little over dramatic about the whole dress thing. I love my dress, sure, but I am probably more obsessed with my bridesmaid dresses because they are pink and I love pink. Frankly I'm never going to get that insanely pumped about a white dress haha. I mean, sure it's exciting it's my wedding dress- you only get one, but its not like i put it on and confetti fell from the ceiling and romantic music started playing. It's a dress. Haha, thats just me though :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_wedding-dress-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:04bd7c25-05a1-4201-bf5f-f62354b7871ePost:a744d9fe-b5b7-48a8-b686-704e1b230556">Re: Wedding dress freak out...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I love that dress- I think it looks gorgeous on you. But I also find that people are a little over dramatic about the whole dress thing. I love my dress, sure, but I am probably more obsessed with my bridesmaid dresses because they are pink and I love pink. Frankly I'm never going to get that insanely pumped about a white dress haha. I mean, sure it's exciting it's my wedding dress- you only get one, but its not like i put it on and confetti fell from the ceiling and romantic music started playing. It's a dress. Haha, thats just me though :)
    Posted by RedSoxGirl10[/QUOTE]

You mean theres no confetti? whats the point then? ;-)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    If it makes you feel better, I felt a little underwhelmed as well, but I think it is because I had these huge expectations. I started thinking about the whole picture, how the veil will look, the hair the makeup, the excitement of the day.  A bridal shop worker told me that there will always be another dress out there for you just like there could always be a better car, guy, etc.  But it all has to come together for you. 

i think I expected it to be magical - just like the TV shows out there!  I would not get rid of the train. They can do a beautiful bussel (spelling). 
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I don't think this would help with your feelings, but I LOVE your dress. Seriously, it is gorgeous... both the cut and style, and looks amazing on you. I love everything about it- everything you mentioned, I don't see being wrong!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it looks absolutely stunning! Like PPs have said, it really flatters your figure and your skin tone.

I haven't gotten to the point of even trying on dresses yet, but I can imagine that you would want that magical feeling when you put on your dress. Just because you didn't feel it this time doesn't mean it's not "The One." There's obviously something about it that you love, or you wouldn't have bought it. Maybe you just need time to fall in love with it again...
  • edited December 2011
    It's normal to second guess your choice. You look great though! Perhaps you could add that petticoat, as mentioned above, to make the skirt fuller. Crinoline will make it flare!
  • edited December 2011
    I also love it and totally agree with a petticoat. I thought I didn't need a petticoat with my dress and loved it without it. They insisted I try it and it made me love it even more!
  • edited December 2011

I'm so sorry you are feeling that way..How long ago did you order your dress?  I sometimes get dress envy when flipping through magazines or like when I went shopping with my bridesmaids I didn't even let myself look at wedding dresses b/c I start to question my choice...I think that's normal!

For what it's worth, your dress does look amazing...the detail up top and the gathering at the side is beautiful and so flattering; I don't think you look wide at all!  I know you're feeling blue about it but I agree with PP's....with hair, makeup, some wedding bling and a petticoat you may see more of the "look" that you were picturing.  Feel better!! :)

• BostonGirl82BostonGirl82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awwww I think you look stunning!!! Try it on with all your accessories to get the full effect.
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your kind words guys!  The support is very reassuring!  I'm still a little worried, but I'm sure it will be fine.  I think it needs more poof underneath, so adding tulle or a peticoat will hopefully help!  I think it is very heavy right now and cutting the train will also make it lighter and flow more.  I'm thinking that once the alterations are done it will hopefully look the way I want it to.  I hope anyway!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it looks stunning,,. and fits you like a glove! I do agree with the other suggestions.. if you want a little lift a petticoat may help.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I love it. I think it looks stunning on you, and fits your figure perfectly. I'm having the same issue you have, but have yet to order my dress. Where did you get the dress, it's stunning. You look gorgeous, and like other girls have said, with the peticoat the bottom will flare out more. LOVE IT!
  • edited December 2011
    It looks great on you.  I know I could never wear a dress like that.  I bet that shortening the train will make the dress feel a lot less heavy. 

I noticed from your pictures we bought our dresses from the same place.  Are you getting your dress altered there?  If so, can you let me know how it goes?  My wedding is 2 months after yours and I'm trying to decide what to do about alterations, I really need mine shortened since I'm 5'2".
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again guys!  Actually, I'm looking at the pics now and likling it more and more.  I think I was just freaking out.  ANd I'm hoping with some poof, maybe it will end up perfect!

MOH143:  I bought my dress at Camilla's in Arlington, MA.  It is Maggie Sottero's Coco.  I tried on a TON of dresses before I decided on this one.  I love Maggie's dresses in general, they are all so beautiful!  And very reasonably priced.  This one was $800.  Camilla's is a great little store!  The people are great and they have a really nice selection of dresses.  Good luck!

Saucentoss:  I am most likely not getting my dress altered there.  I just felt their prices were high.  My dress fits almost perfect (I ordered it 3" shorter and I won't even need a hem!).  I am planning to get pricing from Fay Carraher in Billerica (I hope it is less!).  Jkepros is using her and her prices seem much more reasonable.  But I have heard from another bride that Violet (at Camilla's) does nice work.  But they seem to have raised their prices a lot since then.
  • Laurieb85Laurieb85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think it looks awesome on you!! def. get the petti coat if you want it fuller, it makes a big difference
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards