Snarky Brides
Options

Coworker vent--wwyd

I have a coworker whom I believe to be an alcoholic, she started while I was on disability to cover my work. Her work is shoddy at best, she signs my name on her work (which is illegal) and does so many wrong things that I almost think she trys to sabotage our company.

She smells like booze everyday (except Fridays and Mondays when she doesn't show up), shakes so bad that she has asked other coworkers to drive her home (and had open beer cans in her car!!) and she fell down the stairs at a bar and hurt her arm and has been on disability. YET at the xmas party (our boss pays for a fancy dinner, breakfast and hotel out of town) she told my boss she was hurting to bad and going to bed, but then went to the bar and partied hard until 2am. (but cant work for 8 hours)

I have complained to my boss numerous times and even told him that if she signs my name again I will send it to our licensing counsel and open a fraud complaint (I can get sued if her work is wrong) and he always makes excuses for her behaviour and nothing is ever done. I know that our company offered to pay for treatment for her and she refused. (she has been here around 4 months)

I live in a town about 50 min from my work, and my husband works about 45 min from our house in the opposite direction. My business has over 100 offices and there is one in the town DH works in. I have spoken to the manager there and he has let me know they are hiring and would be willing to look at me for a transfer.

Should I let my manager know I am thinking about transferring due to this coworker? Or keep my mouth shut and get head office to tell him I am transferring? Other coworkers think if we just wait it out she will eventually leave, I love my other coworkers here and the town I work in, should I just try and wait it out? and give it XX number of months then transfer? 

This is also the same girl who I complained about before because she stole my chair and uses my desk as her personal supply cabinet, so now I label everything on my desk. (and chair) And I know my new years resolution is to complain less so I'm getting it all out now.

Re: Coworker vent--wwyd

• Options
    CN: I have an awful coworker, I am thinking of transferring, should I tell my manager I am thinking of transferring? Or try and wait it out as my other coworkers are because they believe she wont be around long?
  • Options
    I'd definitely transfer, because of her and the commute. You need to take care of yourself and your license (for whatever you do). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:9777d06a-8b3d-40ae-8514-4f8a031ba03e">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd definitely transfer, because of her and the commute. You need to take care of yourself and your license (for whatever you do). 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

This is what I am leaning towards.

Do you think I should tell my manager? Or let head office tell him?
  • Options
    Can you escalate the issue to HR?  Did you email your boss any of this info or was it all verbal?  Do you have copies of the paperwork that she signed using your name?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:72ba1f3c-d648-4095-a63a-382b0af002bb">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coworker vent--wwyd : This is what I am leaning towards. Do you think I should tell my manager? Or let head office tell him?
    Posted by alynne1113[/QUOTE]
    I'd just tell your manager that you want to transfer offices because you are uncomfortable with the current work environment/ 
  • Options
    I think if you have a good relationship with your boss (even though it sounds like he plays sides) then I would give him a heads up. I would have already reported her for using my name though. That is some crazy sh!t right there.

• Options
    Transfer AND report her to the licensing authority.  What's to stop her from continuing to illegally sign your name even after you transfer?  Also, I'm not sure what profession you're in, but in mine (law) there is a special subcommittee of the bar that you can report impaired attorneys to when you have suspicion that a substance abuse or mental health problem is affecting their ability to perform their job ethically and according to professional standards - you may want to see if your profession has a similar option.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:9d71b8bc-d228-485f-aa7e-8ba54830af40">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you escalate the issue to HR?  Did you email your boss any of this info or was it all verbal?  Do you have copies of the paperwork that she signed using your name?
    Posted by weelass24[/QUOTE]
    I was JUST about to escalate it and because our company has been taken over they let go the person who deals with these issues in our area and have no hired a replacement. I can send the info to someone with a different area but I am not sure how much they can actually do.
    I emailed & kept copies of everything to do with her for my personal file, so if something comes back I can prove that I did not give her permission to use my name.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:2da3d4f4-ffd7-49e1-b409-d4b1989ca79a">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]Transfer AND report her to the licensing authority.  What's to stop her from continuing to illegally sign your name even after you transfer?  Also, I'm not sure what profession you're in, but in mine (law) there is a special subcommittee of the bar that you can report impaired attorneys to when you have suspicion that a substance abuse or mental health problem is affecting their ability to perform their job ethically and according to professional standards - you may want to see if your profession has a similar option.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

That is a very good point.
     I did look it up and we do have a special comittee to oversee that and I should report her. I just didn't know if I was over reacting since I am the only one at work who sees it as such a big deal that I should transfer.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:4332cd10-b73b-4733-8842-b5f15cf3ddea">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coworker vent--wwyd : That is a very good point.  I did look it up and we do have a special comittee to oversee that and I should report her. I just didn't know if I was over reacting since I am the only one at work who sees it as such a big deal that I should transfer.

If it's gotten to the point where they offered her treatment (I think you said this in your OP, yes?), I would think others have noticed.  Why they're not as bothered by it, I'm not sure - possibly it's hardest on you because you work more closely with her than others?  Also, people hate to get involved in this kind of stuff, but honestly, it sounds like you'd be doing this poor woman a favor to get her some kind of help.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:4332cd10-b73b-4733-8842-b5f15cf3ddea">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coworker vent--wwyd : That is a very good point.  I did look it up and we do have a special comittee to oversee that and I should report her. I just didn't know if I was over reacting since I am the only one at work who sees it as such a big deal that I should transfer.
    Its not your fault that you have higher standards of professional conduct than the rest of your office. You should notify the licensing board and transfer. Its hard to soar with eagles when you work with turkeys. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:4ed49602-c820-4024-bba8-8d399b385059">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coworker vent--wwyd : If it's gotten to the point where they offered her treatment (I think you said this in your OP, yes?), I would think others have noticed.  Why they're not as bothered by it, I'm not sure - possibly it's hardest on you because you work more closely with her than others?  Also, people hate to get involved in this kind of stuff, but honestly, it sounds like you'd be doing this poor woman a favor to get her some kind of help.
    Everyone in our office has noticed and most have made complaints. However, most have worked here 8-10 years and live in the town, so I doubt they would protest to hard because work in this industry is scarce around here.
    It is harder for me I think, because she did work on my book for over a month so I have noticed a lot of lying to clients, customer complaints, people leaving us and me having to clean up huge messes that could cause us a E & O lawsuit.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:86635f60-6f81-4284-b9cb-00ddcc22b050">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coworker vent--wwyd : I was JUST about to escalate it and because our company has been taken over they let go the person who deals with these issues in our area and have no hired a replacement. I can send the info to someone with a different area but I am not sure how much they can actually do. I emailed & kept copies of everything to do with her for my personal file, so if something comes back I can prove that I did not give her permission to use my name.

Ugh, of course!  I would alert SOMEONE in HR, just so it is on record. You need to protect yourself.  Then I would transfer.  I would tell your boss nothing more.  He's done nothing to correct the situation and you have proof of that.  Once HR is notified, they may ask you for your documents and then talk to him. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:a25e2d08-4dba-421e-a203-367bfe1c0406">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coworker vent--wwyd : Everyone in our office has noticed and most have made complaints. However, most have worked here 8-10 years and live in the town, so I doubt they would protest to hard because work in this industry is scarce around here. It is harder for me I think, because she did work on my book for over a month so I have noticed a lot of lying to clients, customer complaints, people leaving us and <strong>me having to clean up huge messes that could cause us a E & O lawsuit.
    </strong>Posted by alynne1113[/QUOTE]

Report, report, report!  Report her to the licensing board, report her to every superior she has, report her to HR, and document it, every step of the way.  A lawsuit <em>will</em> happen eventually if she's allowed to continue this way, and you don't want to get swept under the bus with this woman.  Not reporting can create nearly as many problems for employees as actually being the problem employee.  If you're cleaning up her messes and <em>not</em> reporting her, you're arguably "covering" for her, and that could implicate you if she ever does something really terrible or a client sues.  (This is definitely true in my field - attorneys can get disciplined for covering up another attorney's impairment, even if all they were doing was trying to repair the damage the impaired attorney caused.)  Get as far away from this sinking ship as you reasonably can, and document every single step you take to disengage yourself from this woman.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:ccbe95bd-55ce-4e00-9fca-f7480bd6fc91">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coworker vent--wwyd : Report, report, report!  Report her to the licensing board, report her to every superior she has, report her to HR, and document it, every step of the way.  A lawsuit will happen eventually if she's allowed to continue this way, and you don't want to get swept under the bus with this woman.  Not reporting can create nearly as many problems for employees as actually being the problem employee.  If you're cleaning up her messes and not reporting her, you're arguably "covering" for her, and that could implicate you if she ever does something really terrible or a client sues.  (This is definitely true in my field - attorneys can get disciplined for covering up another attorney's impairment, even if all they were doing was trying to repair the damage the impaired attorney caused.)  Get as far away from this sinking ship as you reasonably can, and document every single step you take to disengage yourself from this woman.

I have emailed my manager on everything prior to cleaning up asking him how he would like me to proceed before doing it cause I know that she would totally take me under the bus with her ( have also attached these emails to the files that cannot be altered). I also kept hard copies of everything I have done, before and after and documented the Sh*T out of the file everytime. (Its all time/user stamped in the system and cannot be altered)
    But I will definitly report her, it makes me feel better that I am not the only one who thinks this is serious business and should not be allowed to go one.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:94314440-b617-43da-b793-2fb79554d39b">Re: Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Coworker vent--wwyd : I have emailed my manager on everything prior to cleaning up asking him how he would like me to proceed before doing it cause I know that she would totally take me under the bus with her ( have also attached these emails to the files that cannot be altered). I also kept hard copies of everything I have done, before and after and documented the Sh*T out of the file everytime. (Its all time/user stamped in the system and cannot be altered) But I will definitly report her, it makes me feel better that I am not the only one who thinks this is serious business and should not be allowed to go one.

It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row on the documentation side - good for you!  And don't be afraid to report her just because others aren't - you are absolutely right that this is serious business, and honestly?  Getting reported/disciplined/fired/whatever may be the wake-up call she needs to seek help for what is obviously a serious problem in her life, so in a big picture way, reporting is really the kindest thing you can do for her (although I can pretty much guarantee you she won't see it that way!).
    imagemy to-read shelf:
  • Options
    I took a course on how to prevent E & O When I started working in my industry  and I am the only one in my office that follows the procedures to the dot cause I am so scared of having one. So thats another reason I think I am so much more upset over the situation, I think everyone here thinks it wont happen to them.

But thanks a ton for the advice. I will definitly report her to head office and licensing and for the suspected alcoholism.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_coworker-vent-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d78b053b-cefd-4ed9-a029-87b1644f58abPost:68a8bb78-83d1-4e6e-8234-0b82eec33293">Coworker vent--wwyd</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a coworker whom I believe to be an alcoholic, she started while I was on disability to cover my work. Her work is shoddy at best, she signs my name on her work (which is illegal) and does so many wrong things that I almost think she trys to sabotage our company. She smells like booze everyday (except Fridays and Mondays when she doesn't show up), shakes so bad that she has asked other coworkers to drive her home (and had open beer cans in her car!!) and she fell down the stairs at a bar and hurt her arm and has been on disability. YET at the xmas party (our boss pays for a fancy dinner, breakfast and hotel out of town) she told my boss she was hurting to bad and going to bed, but then went to the bar and partied hard until 2am. (but cant work for 8 hours) I have complained to my boss numerous times and even told him that if she signs my name again I will send it to our licensing counsel and<strong> open a fraud complaint</strong> <strong>(I can get sued if her work is wrong)</strong> and he always makes excuses for her behaviour and nothing is ever done. I know that our company offered to pay for treatment for her and she refused. (she has been here around 4 months) I live in a town about 50 min from my work, and my husband works about 45 min from our house in the opposite direction. My business has over 100 offices and there is one in the town DH works in.<strong> I have spoken to the manager there and he has let me know they are hiring and would be willing to look at me for a transfer.</strong> Should I let my manager know I am thinking about transferring due to this coworker? Or keep my mouth shut and get head office to tell him I am transferring? Other coworkers think if we just wait it out she will eventually leave, I love my other coworkers here and the town I work in, should I just try and wait it out? and give it XX number of months then transfer?  This is also the same girl who I complained about before because she stole my chair and uses my desk as her personal supply cabinet, so now I label everything on my desk. (and chair) And I know my new years resolution is to complain less so I'm getting it all out now.

<div>
    </div><div>If she signs your name again, you have every reason to open a fraud complaint.  She legally has no right to sign your name, and if you can get in major trouble if she did something wrong with your name on it, do it now before it is too late.  </div><div>
    </div><div>As for transfering, I would keep my mouth shut at your current office and wait and see what happens at the office you are wanting to transfer to.  If it works out that you can transfer, tell your boss then.</div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry you have to be bugged with her and her nonsense.  </div>
  • Options
    I agree with pretty much everything that has been said.  As much as I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, put myself in their shoes, etc.. if it gets to a point where someone else is putting my career and my financial stability in jeopardy, I'd be reporting it.  My friend is a nurse and her manager years ago would ask things of her that could have cost her her license.  She immediately transferred because she had worked WAY too hard to put herself through nursing school and she wasn't going to lose everything because one person wanted to cover their ass.  I dislike having to be "that person" who reports someone but sometimes it is absolutely the right thing to do, and this seems to me like one of those times.

As far as transferring goes, I'd let the other office handle it until you have something relatively firmed up before you mention it to your current boss.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards