Chit Chat

How to make a shower...not so shower-y ??

Let me start off by saying I HATE WEDDING SHOWERS (baby showers too, but one thing at a time).  I can't stand the silly games and the fake oohs and ahhs and all the formalities.  But, I go and try to have fun because I love the bride.

So now it's my turn.  Of course I plan on having one..but how can I avoid it being just another uncomfortable shower? 
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: How to make a shower...not so shower-y ??

• I didn't want a shower so instead my sisters, mom and very closest girlfriends (7 of us total) are going to do pedicures and brunch the Sunday before the wedding.  I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Honestly, if you hate them so much then I wouldn't have one.  Like PP said, get a group of your closests girlfriends/family memebers together and go out for a nice lunch or a spa day.

In addition, I am with you OP, I hate showers.  My sister threw me one but it consisted of only 15 people and all we did was chit-chat, drink sangria, and ate lunch.  I opened presents but I certainly didn't sit in a speacially decorated chair and have to put on a stupid hat made from all the present wrappings.  We also didn't play one single game.  We are all adults and playing stupid wedding bingo or whatever is dumb.

• I feel exactly the same way, so I declined the shower I was offered. I don't regret it at all.
    Anniversary
  • My MOH is throwing a co-ed shower for FI and I. It's going to be like a cookout. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-to-make-a-showernot-so-shower-y?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:597e8061-8b21-4b63-95a1-6e49d0813e24Post:146e66a0-94e1-44ed-bdf3-023915211e38">Re: How to make a shower...not so shower-y ??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My MOH is throwing a co-ed shower for FI and I. It's going to be like a cookout. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

This is what we are doing as well. It will be more like a BBQ kind of feeling.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-to-make-a-showernot-so-shower-y?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:597e8061-8b21-4b63-95a1-6e49d0813e24Post:146e66a0-94e1-44ed-bdf3-023915211e38">Re: How to make a shower...not so shower-y ??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My MOH is throwing a co-ed shower for FI and I. It's going to be like a cookout. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what we had, cookout/pool party.
    Anniversary
  • Because my FI's hometown is 2 states away, his parents and their friends decided to throw us a huge shower for most of the people that won't be able to make it to the wedding (although they are still invited).
    It's going to be a couple's 'Display Shower', where everyone drops their gifts off at the house the night before (it's a small small town, so she insists this isn't a big deal) and then we set them all up at the shower the next day.
    I had never heard of this, but apparently it's pretty popular when you are having a couple's shower, and their group of friends has done this before and it's a huge hit.
    I like that not everyone is going to be watching me open presents and seeing my reactions.
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-to-make-a-showernot-so-shower-y?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:597e8061-8b21-4b63-95a1-6e49d0813e24Post:bdb3461d-297a-44be-8022-723104fd8b57">Re: How to make a shower...not so shower-y ??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Because my FI's hometown is 2 states away, his parents and their friends decided to throw us a huge shower for most of the people that won't be able to make it to the wedding (although they are still invited). <strong>It's going to be a couple's 'Display Shower'</strong>, where everyone drops their gifts off at the house the night before (it's a small small town, so she insists this isn't a big deal) and then we set them all up at the shower the next day. I had never heard of this, but apparently it's pretty popular when you are having a couple's shower, and their group of friends has done this before and it's a huge hit. I like that not everyone is going to be watching me open presents and seeing my reactions.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

<div>I've heard of this and I've been to a baby shower that was a "display shower."  As a guest, I LOVED it.  My family is pretty large, so there are usually quite a few gifts at any family shower.  I always hate having to sit through hours of gift opening.  I think a display shower is a great idea - whether it's a couples shower or just a females-only shower.</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • ceh789ceh789 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I've heard of display showers and god, I wish they'd catch on.  I love showers for the mingling and daytime drinking but absolutely hate the slooooooowwwww opening of gifts.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-to-make-a-showernot-so-shower-y?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:597e8061-8b21-4b63-95a1-6e49d0813e24Post:1ae6a426-348c-4535-8f23-6728d6d047e5">Re: How to make a shower...not so shower-y ??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard of display showers and god, I wish they'd catch on.  I love showers for the mingling and daytime drinking but absolutely hate the slooooooowwwww opening of gifts.
    Posted by ceh789[/QUOTE]

These sound awesome!!!  I wish I had known about this for my shower...I so would have suggested this to my MOH.  Opening presents in front of a large group of people is just awkward and kind of embarrassing...I mean how excited can someone possibly act about getting a set of sheets?

• We are having a co ed shower, at a bar/restaurant that we frequent. Serving sandwiches and wraps, not a formal sit down meal. We wont have any games, I am not wearing a corsage, and no other silliness. We are having a bellini bar for our guests. Both of us will open gifts at the same time to cut down on the time. That was my way to handle my dislike of showers. I like the socializing, I just don't like the ooh and ahh and all eyes on me side of it. Hope it helps!
  • I feel the same way! I have 3 girls and i never had a shower. I told my moh and bm not to throw me a shower. We are doing a spa day instead. If you don't like showers, don't have one. When guest attend a shower, they expect the typical "bridal shower" crap
  • My sister is getting married 3 months before I am os in an effort to not repeat the same party with half the same guest lsit I was tryig to come up will alternative ideas for a wedding shower. I offered the suggestion to my mom tha rather than do your typical mid-day women only thing, to have a women only cocktail hour with a friend of ours who plays about 6 different instruments/sings/DJ's. So rather than everyone sit around and watch me open spatulas and wine glasses it's like a girls night out for every lady, which in my opinion is much more fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards