Not Engaged Yet

Movies Way Out of Left Field

What's the strangest movie you've seen?  I'm talking way out in left field so far that when you see it, you can't help but be confused.

Currently, I'm watching Happy Birthday, Türke!  It's directed by Doris Dörrie.  If you ever see her name on a movie you're about to rent - RUN. 
I french with my man
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field

• edited December 2011
    A Clockwork Orange - Originally written by Stanley Kubrick
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remember A Roman Holiday as being quite trippy, but I was really sick when I saw it so that might have been me. 
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Mullholland Drive, I'm still trying to figure out what it was about.... what does it mean?
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Teeth
    Rubber
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    American Graffiti
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_movies-way-out-of-left-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d1c2913b-b803-4e35-90dc-f9fae3f48148Post:c1c8eef4-dc99-419e-866d-96dba41b4620">Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mullholland Drive, I'm still trying to figure out what it was about.... what does it mean?
    Posted by motoLyn[/QUOTE]

THIS!

And also, Fire Walk with Me.

I think maybe David Lynch is just too much for my poor little brain to handle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    David Lynch's movies. I get the subconscious-motif, but the rest simply confuses me. I used to be fascinated by his films, but ever since he started his "Transcendental Meditation" I have a hard time to take him (and therefore his work) seriously. He gave a speech at Cologne University and one of his German assistants talked about how by using transcendental meditation Germany could become invincible. We all got pretty mad, and reminded that idiot that Hitler had said similar bull, but that fool didn't get how these nationalistic crap upset us. I don't really blame Mr. Lynch for he didn't understand what the students were upset about. Neither do I think that his intent is to turn Germany into a bellicose county again. And yet I was left with the impression that was out of his mind. There used to be a video on youtube about this, but it was removed (probably in transcendental and invincible meditation)...
  • edited December 2011
    oops, just noticed how I made a couple of spelling errors... sorry! Don't TV, talk to cats, and post at the same time...
  • edited December 2011
    @motolyn: If you want to understand Mulholland Drive, you have to watch Sunset Boulevard with Bette Davis. MD refers to SB. Also consider the subconscious (Freud) and/or the split personality motif. But I admit, even with these notions Lynch remains a (transcendental?) mystery...
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_movies-way-out-of-left-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d1c2913b-b803-4e35-90dc-f9fae3f48148Post:861d20d7-c9bc-4b6d-a524-6e4d9769ac15">Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field</a>:
    [QUOTE]American Graffiti
    Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

I <3 American Graffiti!

I remember thinking Natural Born Killers was pretty odd.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_movies-way-out-of-left-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d1c2913b-b803-4e35-90dc-f9fae3f48148Post:861d20d7-c9bc-4b6d-a524-6e4d9769ac15">Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field</a>:
    [QUOTE]American Graffiti

Seriously?  I'm confused as to how someone thinks this movie is out of left field.  One of the best movies EVER!
  • edited December 2011
    Werckmeister Harmonies, directed by Bela Tarr.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks magistra, I'll have to look into that.  I had a WTH moment after seeing MD.  Another one to add to the list though not a thinking movie it was pretty out there.  Teeth directed by Mitchell Lichtenstein.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780622/

Best line out of the movie :Vagina Dentata!  Vagina Dentatat!!....
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I tend to watch pretty mainstream stuff, but I'll say "Army of Darkness" with the awesome Bruce Campbell is pretty weird.

Also "Cube." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/
  • luvdncn90luvdncn90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_movies-way-out-of-left-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d1c2913b-b803-4e35-90dc-f9fae3f48148Post:3dc7d7e4-c236-467d-be4f-843be86ad785">Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tend to watch pretty mainstream stuff, but I'll say "Army of Darkness" with the awesome Bruce Campbell is pretty weird. Also "<strong>Cube." </strong><a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/">http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/</a>
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

One of my math teacher made us watch this movie. I was horrified and slightly in aw that a teacher had enough cajones to show this to a ninth grade class.
  • edited December 2011
    Synecdoche, New York from Charlie Kaufman threw me for a loop. It started out fairly straightforward, but quickly descended into something much more confusing. I can't say that I fully understand it, but I found it to be really moving and beautiful in the end.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_movies-way-out-of-left-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d1c2913b-b803-4e35-90dc-f9fae3f48148Post:3a225e01-a005-474a-83fd-5af77e4caf34">Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field</a>:
    [QUOTE]Synecdoche, New York from Charlie Kaufman threw me for a loop. It started out fairly straightforward, but quickly descended into something much more confusing. I can't say that I fully understand it, but I found it to be really moving and beautiful in the end.
    Posted by musikbx[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah! I forgot about this one. It IS Charlie Kaufman, after all.
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    District 9.  The entire movie was maybe a metaphor for racism out of control, but it was a lot of unnecessary cursing and violence.  Nasty type of violence.
    I french with my man
  • tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_movies-way-out-of-left-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d1c2913b-b803-4e35-90dc-f9fae3f48148Post:cc2f2df0-6819-4cbd-bcd8-583889a85702">Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field</a>:
    [QUOTE]District 9.  The entire movie was maybe a metaphor for racism out of control, but it was a lot of unnecessary cursing and violence.  Nasty type of violence.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

My husband and I actually loved that movie . /><

Mine would be Punch Drunk Love - seriously..just..wtf ?? And also Matchstick Men - though in that movie's defense I was freaking wasted at 2am on a business trip and trying to watch it..but still !
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was pretty confused by Memento.   But then again that is because I want people to have motives and I could never figure out what was the motive for his wife being raped and for Natalie to be a lying bytch to him.....  But it was a cool idea!  The story line just had way to many holes and didn't make sense.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    I saw a documentary in a class once called "Blue", by Derek Jarman. He was slowly going blind from an AIDS related illness. It was his last film - he died 4 months after the release - and the whole movie consists of a blue screen, with a soundtrack of background noise and narration of his life and vision, but it was all very...well...I can't describe it. I tried very, very hard to pay attention and understand the metaphors and meanings but I became so frustrated that my brain kind of short-circuited and I fell asleep. =/

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Zombie Strippers.
    friends tv show funy
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_movies-way-out-of-left-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d1c2913b-b803-4e35-90dc-f9fae3f48148Post:16b4f4ba-7a08-4390-ab93-0aae7db4307f">Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field : Seriously?  I'm confused as to how someone thinks this movie is out of left field.  One of the best movies EVER!
    Posted by Soon2BMrsJeter[/QUOTE]

Well, Sparkles and Jeter can come to my house and watch it on VHS, because no one ever wants to watch it with me.

I also met one of the stars about two years ago, and have a signed 8x10 if ya wanna see it. :-D I'm glad someone else knows the movie.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_movies-way-out-of-left-field?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d1c2913b-b803-4e35-90dc-f9fae3f48148Post:5e100552-3077-4fd4-95bd-fd3cd2451998">Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Movies Way Out of Left Field : Well, Sparkles and Jeter can come to my house and watch it on VHS, because no one ever wants to watch it with me. I also met one of the stars about two years ago, and have a signed 8x10 if ya wanna see it. :-D I'm glad someone else knows the movie.

I'm so there. 
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Creeping Terror.

Look it up.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards