North Carolina-Outer Banks

Booze

Hi Ladies (and Gent)!  I need some advice/help.  I'm getting married next month and in the process of finishing up the details.  The alcohol is the last major thing that we need to buy, I just don't know how much.  We've invited about 50 folks, 35 of which will be drinking (all of my folks of course).  We're puchasing beer, wine and champagne only and it's in the early afternoon (12:30 to be exact).  We've got a feeling that since it's earlier in the day that they won't drink as much.  So with all that being said, how much would be a sufficient amount?  I don't want to buy too much but I also don't want to run out.
Anniversary

Re: Booze

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Here's what I found:

50 Guests
    Beer: 100 bottles
    Champagne: 15 bottles
    Red wine: 18 bottles
    White wine: 18 bottles

“Guests will drink more white wine during the summer and more red wine in the winter,” Linnea Johansson, an events planner and author of Perfect Parties: Tips and Advice from a New York Party Planner (amazon.com). So purchase the same total number of bottles, but adjust the quantities of red and white accordingly: 10% more red (and less white) or 10% more white (and less red), depending on the season.

Try this handy tool: http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/weddings/wedding-wine-liquor-calculator-00000000008314/index.html

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for sharing that calculator!  Very helpful.
    We have to buy the alcohol from our venue (Kitty Hawk Pier House) and was struggling with how much to put in our budget.

How do you feel about not serving liquor?  The prices from the venue are OUTRAGEOUS!  Its really insane what they want to charge us for a bottle of vodka.  We just can't justify the expense...plus, sometimes people act a little crazy when liquor is involved!
    I just want to make sure its not tacky to only serve beer and wine (and a champagne toast - I don't think that I can supply that all night either).
  • edited December 2011
    I am also planning to serve beer, wine, and have a champagne toast.  I hope it's not tacky, but if it is, we can be tacky together!! 
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you need to include liquor. You should be fine with beer & wine. Especially since it's earlier in the day.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sometimes liquor only leads to problems ;) 

We have to have liquor because my parents who are paying for the wedding say so.  That is actually the one thing my FI and I are paying for.  When chosing our venue that was the deal breaker though.  We HAD to be able to provide our own.  My FI is active duty Army so we will buy all of ours on base, tax free :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the calculator Sarah.  And I don't thinks it's tacky to not serve liquor at the reception.  We're only doing beer and wine with a champagne toast.  Like PP said above...liquor only leads to problems especially when there's a free unlimited amount.  Now I just needs to find coupons somewhere to get it cheap. Smile
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_booze?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:bb966d8d-a35a-471b-b080-2e7189b2cbefPost:64cbfa93-7820-413c-8885-9e42998702d4">Re: Booze</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think you need to include liquor. You should be fine with beer & wine. Especially since it's earlier in the day.
    Posted by sarahebrown[/QUOTE]

Our reception is in the evening and will go through the night...still ok with no liquor?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!  Makes me feel so much better!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what we are going with, but as long as we have my Yuengling Lager flowing, i'll be fine with that! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_booze?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:bb966d8d-a35a-471b-b080-2e7189b2cbefPost:bc61b2e3-f9a3-4703-86b5-95e62e2ee648">Re: Booze</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Booze : Our reception is in the evening and will go through the night...still ok with no liquor?
    Posted by Flip0330[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yep!  We are also only doing beer/wine, Sangria and maybe a Margarita beer and it is an evening reception that will go through the night.  My hope is that little to no hard booze will keep things more under control (we have some rowdy..I mean fun...friends!) :)  Also makes it easier to buy/budget for. 

</div>
  • mparwulskimparwulski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    JAK, if you need a killer sangria recipe, I'm your girl.  Secret recipe from Spain.  Whenever I have it at a party, noone drinks anything else.
  • edited December 2011
    mparwulski....could I have your killer sangria recipe?!?!!

We plan to serve beer, liquor, wine and have a champagne toast. We won't be buying a lot of wine, bc only a few(if any) drink it. Our friends will go for the liquor vs beer but I'm praying they can keep themselves under control!!! I think we might have a little talk before hand. ha

Is everyone hiring a bartender or "self serve"?! We hired through our caterer.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    You could do a signature cocktail if you wanted to add one liquor item to your menu.  I am trying to think up a fun beverage that my guests will receive after the ceremony.  Then I am going to give it a fun name that has something to do with my fiance and I :)
  • obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to do just beer, wine, signature drink, and a champagne toast, but Fiance wants to have liquor.  I am kind of hoping that once he sees the price difference he will change his mind.  =)
  • edited December 2011
    mparwulski.....woudl LOVE your killer sangria recipe.
    We are serving sangria at the rehearsal dinner.

I am also looking into a signature cocktail that will be served at the cocktail hour....i was thinking mojitos.  I want it to be something beachy/summery (even though we are getting married in Sept).
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • jlbeuckejlbeucke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mpar,

Please share!!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you mparwulski!!
    I can't wait to use it...Maybe I will do a test batch this weekend!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_booze?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:bb966d8d-a35a-471b-b080-2e7189b2cbefPost:7cd29e82-c4ab-42c3-b321-32a19ad7424b">Re: Booze</a>:
    [QUOTE]mpar, Please share!!
    Posted by jlbeucke[/QUOTE]

You've got mail.
  • edited December 2011
    I would also love it too if you don't mind!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards