Flowers

Calla Lillies

So I decided (after much deliberation) to go with single stem calla's for my BM's and a 3-5 stem bouquet for myself, how ridiculous is $15 per stem? And has anyone used any online site like www.flowersandfreshness.com or www.growersbox.com? Because for $80 I could get about 30 calla's instead of like 5, but I don't want to order flowers sight unseen.

Re: Calla Lillies

• edited December 2011
    I would just plain shop around.  They have calla lilies at lots of florists and grocery stores - and $15 is way too much for those.  
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting mini calla lillies from Sam's Wholesale, for my DIY centerpeices, and I'm getting 150 stems for $162.  So, that would be roughly $1.08 per stem.  $15 per stem seems pretty outrageous to me.
  • edited December 2011
    $15 is expensive per stem. At most I have seen them around here for $6 and that is from a florist. I have a wholesale store in my area where I can purchase them for $3.50/stem. Look around, or ask your local board, if there is a local wholesale store in your town. Also, call some florists in your area to see if you can purchase stems through their shop?
    Anniversary
  • mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips, I've been shopping around  and was just floored by the price. I mean $15 isn't even close to reasonable!
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Buying in bulk and DIYing the flowers is much cheaper. 

• edited December 2011
    Any suggestions on fake Calla lillies from anyone? I know hobby lobby or micheals but was trying to find somewhere online maybe?
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check www.costco.com.

Here's the link for bulk calla lillies, $74.99 for 50:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11044299&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605&N=4045468&Mo=54&No=43&ViewAll=55&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=24847&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Here's the link for the calla lilly wedding packages:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11203467&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605&N=4045482&Mo=15&No=13&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=24845&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

You don't have to pay $15 per stem.
  • edited December 2011
    If you decide to order online, just make sure to order a sample first so you don't get disappointed.
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    the cost can depend on the time of the year. And make sure you are talking Large white callas and not MINI callas......huge difference in size and cost.Also,is the calla for $15 JUST the calla or is there added ribbon etc.?And then decide if you want the stress of making your own flowers the day or day of your wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing calla Lilies, and I'm shopping around.  The best price I've found is a 40-arrangement set through Costco (like a previous knottie posted) and that package was $750 today.  That includes: 1 bridal, 1 toss-away, 4 bridesmaids, 1 maid-of-honor, 2 mothers' wrist, 12 corsages, 12 boutonnieres, 6 centerpieces (no vase), 10 rose petal buds (for your flower girl or sprinkle on tables).  This is an  outstanding deal.  

If you don't quite need that many, I also saw a 20-arrangement package that had basically enough for 3 bridesmaids, and a 10-arrangement package that had enough for 1 bridesmaid (small wedding, I suppose).  If you're not a Costco member, most memberships are around $40 to $60, and if you planned to spend over $1000 on flowers with a florist, this will save you at LEAST $300, so the money for a membership is worth it.  Plus, costco is a fantastic place to get discounts (like Sams' Club), so the membership will pay for itself.  

Just my two cents!   I'm excited about my Lilies! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards