North Carolina-Outer Banks

Cake Tasting and Florist Question

Good Morning and Happy New Year!

We have officially made plans to visit OBX for our planning vacation come this March (our wedding is in August).  We are doing all sorts of vendor meetings (tasting with the caterer, visiting the venue, etc).  While we are there we would like to get our cake squared away.

Have any of you done a cake tasting?  Do most bakery's just offer this complimentary?
We have a modest budget of $500 for our cake. 

Also, my future MIL would like to pay for our chuppah for the ceremony; ideally, I would like to get the chuppah the same place we get our flowers.  I am doing most of the reception decorating myself, but would like a few bouquets and boutonnieres for the ceremony.

Any recommendations on the above would be great!

Thanks again for your help!

Re: Cake Tasting and Florist Question

• I think most will do it for free, we only tasted with Great Cakes and that was complimentary. How many people are you having at your reception? Our cake was about $300 for 30 people.

We used Shirley from Sugar Snaps for our flowers and she was fantastic!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ksj!
    we are expecting about 80 guests...hopefully not too many more!
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We selected their Key Lime Bliss cake, which I believe was one of the more expensive options. Here is a picture of our cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi!  I tasted with Great Cakes and for 75 guests they quoted me at $662 and then 110 delivery fee on top of that...the tasting was free.  I also tasted with the Atlantic Cake Company (also free) and definitely more reasonable.  The cake was very good!  Finally, we tasted with Carolina Cupcakery (also free), which we are ultimately going with.  Good luck!
  • TKzillaTKzilla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We're going with Sweet-e-pies. Robin is really nice and very helpful. She charges for a cake tasting but it goes towards your payment for the cake if you book with her. She's had the best pricing (in my opinion) so far.
  • We went with Renee Landry for our chuppah and she did a wonderful job, exactly what we wanted.  It seemed that there was a high delivery fee for those for all of the companies.
    May 25, 2012
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://outerbanks.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_cake-tasting-and-florist-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:5011e2b5-190c-4f08-943e-53c5fa2eca54Post:6d09f70e-c5bd-4be4-9ccd-47b07276e885">Cake Tasting and Florist Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good Morning and Happy New Year! We have officially made plans to visit OBX for our planning vacation come this March (our wedding is in August).  We are doing all sorts of vendor meetings (tasting with the caterer, visiting the venue, etc).  While we are there we would like to get our cake squared away. Have any of you done a cake tasting?  Do most bakery's just offer this complimentary? We have a modest budget of $500 for our cake.  Also, my future MIL would like to pay for our chuppah for the ceremony; ideally, I would like to get the chuppah the same place we get our flowers.  I am doing most of the reception decorating myself, but would like a few bouquets and boutonnieres for the ceremony. Any recommendations on the above would be great! Thanks again for your help!
    Posted by akryz33[/QUOTE]

Hi,
    We used Argyles as our caterer.  The cake tasting as well as the tasting for their other food was free.  Also if you book them for your reception, they throw in the cake for free.  Their cakes are delicious and beautiful.  They have many different flavors, all were great.  We had a 3 tier cake with the top and the bottom layers were almond chambord with raspberry filling and the middle tier was key lime with white chocolate mousse filling.  Debra can also make your cake look however you want it to.  All she needs is a picture of what you want it to look like.  We had a beach theme cake with fencing around the tiers, brown sugar on top to look like sand, 2 adirondack chairs and a beach umbrella made out of fondant.  She also made starfish and other beachy things out of white chocolate.  It looked and tasted great.   We and our guests loved it.  
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2013

We used The Atlantic Cake Co. and the cake was delicious!  It was a 3 tier cake with white chocolate and key lime bliss as the tiers with a strawberry filling....it was sooo good & Susan was really great to work with.   We met at a coffee shop for a tasting and she brought so many different flavor combinations, which we really enjoyed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards