Moms and Maids

Finding a dress for Plus-sized MOH

Hey everyone!

So I'm having some difficulty picking out my BM dresses. My sister (who is also my MOH) is approx. a size 18 and I don't know what kind of style/shape will be flattering for her. And, of course, the sample sizes in the store are only a size 12 or something. Any advice on what might be a good fit?? Something more structured vs. really flowy?? I just really want to make sure to find something that will flatter her, but I feel like that will be really hard if she can't try it on before she orders it. Thoughts? Advice? Tips? TIA!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Finding a dress for Plus-sized MOH

• i2012doi2012do member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was about a size 16 when I was in my friends wedding. And I found plenty.
    I think its best to ASK your sister what sizes and shapes she likes, and what she thinks is most flattering to her body. Not necessarily that she is a size 18 but because everyone has flaws they hate about their body and things they love. Ask her what she wants to show off. aybe its her legs, or her shoulders. Then think of dresses that compliment that (a square neckline, or haltar straps, a  tea length dress) etc.

I went shopping with everyone else. and i did slip on the size 8 and 10s then had but just didint zip them up. we all tried a buynch on. My bf's bridesmaids ranged in size from 0-16 and we all just slipped them on unzipped and had the people cluip us up. Unless you fit into the samples- you still have to be clipped into it, because its either too large or too small.

There will be plenty for her to try.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • edited December 2011
    I really dislike how David's Bridal does business, but I ended up getting bridesmaid dresses there because I had bridesmaids of all shapes, sizes, and heights, including plus-sized and they can accomodate nearly any size. What I also did is pick a color and length, and let my girls choose the style they would wear. Really they were such different sizes that I thought this was the only possible chance that everyone could have something flattering that they felt comfortable in and happy with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    edited December 2011
    Even if a sample doesn't close in the back, she should still be able to get a good idea of what would flatter.  You can ask her what features she likes.  Not all size 18's are the same - an apple will be flattered by different shapes from a voluptuous hourglass or hippy pear - so you'll want to involve her in the dress choice.  If your BMs are different shapes, you may consider letting them chose different styles, with similar color/fabric/length.

That said...as a plus-size bride who's already gone gown shopping, I found a structured A-line with higher waist did the most to flatter my apple figure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding party is pretty diverse regarding body type but i found an Alfred Angelo (7166) that looks amazing on all. My sister/MOH and my friend Heather are both probably a size 16 with DD or F chests. They were both very hestitant and def not happy about trying it but i was able to convince them. I had such a feeling about this dress. It looks amazing on both of them....very, very slimming, They are not comfortable with it being strapless so the salon is taking out the zipper and putting in a corset back and cap sleeves on it with. It looks beautiful. Check it out....maybe an option for you.
    http://www.alfredangelo.com/collections/productdisplay.aspx?productID=04a600ee-2d26-4725-88ac-217def9e8186&categoryID=772f03c9-de43-4942-bfa0-da77e21ebd65&pg=2&colorId1=
  • KarenofcourseKarenofcourse member
    edited December 2011
    This is very difficult to answer b/c we do not know her body shape or how tall she is.  My daughter is a size 18 but she is also 5'10.  My friend is size 18 and is 5'0.  Talk to your sister first.  One thing you might want to consider is the different shapes/sizes of you BM.  Do you want to go with a cookie-cutter look or just all the dresses in the same color and length?   What formality is your wedding, indoor or outdoor, and time of day and venue?  All the answers to these questions are going to play a role in determining type of dress. 

DB has several plus size options and JC Penny and Alfred Angelo do as well.  Maybe you can call around to your local formal wear places and ask about MOH dress sizes before going. 

I would think this through b/f going out dress shopping.  Some brides get caught up in asking everyone to go shopping and then there is mass frustration and sometimes hurt feelings.  Maybe you and your sister could go scope out dresses and narrow it down to three before taking your bridal party.

Just my thoughts-normally plus size girls can be large in the chest.  Strapless is normally not flattering on plus sized girls and many times is not very comfortable to wear due to lack of support.  Plus size girls often look flattering in a halter  or one shoulder style dress, which also provides a lot more support!!  She and the other BM will likely wear these dresses for several hours and comfort is important!

Good luck!
  • KarenofcourseKarenofcourse member
    edited December 2011
    I forgot-there was a plus sized board added this week and this would be good to post on that board!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards