April 2013 Weddings

The Hunger Games Thread

So, have you seen it? Read it? Thoughts? 

I saw it for the second time last night. Totally worth being super tired today.

I really liked it and how true it stayed to the book. Usually I'm really dissapointed by book-to-movie movies, but this one was really good. It told enough of the back story that you know what's going on even if you didn't read. All of the characters were so relatable and easy to love. I LOVE how they played out Haymitch and Effie. :)

There were just a few parts that they left out that I didn't like (writing them in white so I don't spoil it!)

I didn't like how they left out the thank you gift from District 11. I felt like that was an important part of the book that wouldn't have taken very long to put in the movie. I also was dissappointed in the Mutations at the end. They were supposed to look like the other tributes, which made it that much worse. 

So, that's my $.02. What about you?
--------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary

Re: The Hunger Games Thread

• I started the book just yesterday!  Just finished the page where they call Primrose.
    I wish I had more time to sit down and just read but it's hard with a needy FI, loud kid, and naughty puppy LOL.
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I have read it and II saw it last night and absolutely loved it!!! I think it also followed the movie really well, however I feel like that left out a lot of detail that the book had in it. I am also a "twihard" and would probably go to say that i liked the hunger games a little more! My FI also enjoyed it, and said it was better then twilight... but in the end i will always love twilight and cant wait to see the last part of breaking dawn which i saw the preview of last night as well! sooo excited!
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited March 2012
    I saw it Friday night and thought it was good.  I just wish that they put more fear of the capitol in you.  That was so important in the books and I feel like they had to tone it down to keep the rating.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I watched it last night, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. They did leave out a lot of parts, and I didnt like the fact that they don't mention anyones names. They dont introduce Snow, Seneca Crane they dont even say Effie's name. If you didn't read the book, or you dont remember things (like me) then you need an introduction of some sort. All in all I did like it, just the few minor changes I wasn't happy about.

Did anyone else think the costumes for Katniss "girl on fire" were lame? I thought the Capitol costumes and makeup were fantastic, but all the costumes for Katniss were just boring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_the-hunger-games-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:eb47fbde-2ad7-46ea-b803-c2994c91a986Post:eb32a24d-0891-4f4d-8f18-47cbaee4f837">Re: The Hunger Games Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw it Friday night and thought it was good.  I just wish that they put more fear of the capitol in you.  That was so important in the books and I feel like they had to tone it down to keep the rating.  
    Posted by dandelionsgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>I noticed that too. I don't think the fear comes in until the second book, though. Snow was pretty damn intimidating though.</div><div>
    </div><div>And I liked how they developed Seneca Crane. Like, in the second book where they talk about what happened to him, I couldn't remember who he was. I was confused for a while. </div>

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Haven't seen the movie yet but picked up the book out of curiosity and the fact that a good number of the scenes were shot here in Charlotte around my office building.  Funny how the movie is called the Hunger Games and they filmed the tribute interviews in the theater that's across the street from one of my favorite sandwich shops. 
  • I've read the first book, and I just saw the movie last night! I loved it, it translated into the movies much better than I thought it would. I consider it to be better than Twilight, but not as good as Harry Potter. (Nothing is =]) I also noticed alot of the missing details.

Side note: One of the girls in my fourth grade practicum class was reading this book today. She hadn't seen the movie, so I don't think she knew what it was about, but I think these books are a little too mature for that age, it gets pretty gory at times!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_the-hunger-games-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:eb47fbde-2ad7-46ea-b803-c2994c91a986Post:0003cf35-05d0-43e5-a059-30fae992a995">Re: The Hunger Games Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've read the first book, and I just saw the movie last night! I loved it, it translated into the movies much better than I thought it would. I consider it to be better than Twilight, but not as good as Harry Potter. (Nothing is =]) I also noticed alot of the missing details. Side note: One of the girls in my fourth grade practicum class was reading this book today. She hadn't seen the movie, so I don't think she knew what it was about, but I think these books are a little too mature for that age, it gets pretty gory at times!
    Posted by svanculin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Defnintely not okay for 4th grade. I student taught 6th grade and the advanced students were reading them and I thought it was a little much. The 8th grade class I observed was reading them as an assignment. It was really neat to talk to them about it. 

</div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards