Moms and Maids

FMIL has a serious problem...

I feel a little strange posting about something like this that's so serious but I literally feel like sometimes I have no one else to really ask. This is going to be long, so bear with me if you can. When I say my FMIL has a serious problem, I would not go so far as to call it a drinking problem, but definitely a lifestyle one. This past Friday she came over late to my FI's house and had a drink. Later that night, after she'd headed home, we got a call from the state trooper's department saying she'd been brought in on suspected DWI. Apparently she'd failed a field sobriety test and could not breathalize due to severe athsma, neither of which shock me. Her lawyer says that because of how the whole thing was handled, the charges will likely be dropped.

REGARDLESS of how that pans out in court, whether it's dropped completely or she's charged with failure to breathalize and has her license suspended, you'd think that it might be a little bit of a wakeup call... that a 50 year old mother of 5 with 2 daughters still at home and a nasty divorce and bankruptcy in the works probably shouldn't be going out on Friday nights. I wish i could say that it was some rare occurence, but I'm 25 and I don't go out nearly as much as she does, let alone spend as much money frivilously. She says it's part of being a business owner and she needs to connect with her clients and vendors, or that she is just trying to have fun, but she's out multiple times a week leaving her daughters home alone.

That said, my FI asked me to meet them out for dinner the Monday after all this had happened and when I got there, she was so drunk she could hardly stand. I was livid, to say the least that she'd allowed herself to get that drunk, and that he had allowed it too. I suppose that's when it really hit me that she might have a serious problem... that a brush with a DWI (which I consider VERY serious) did not deter her from getting sh*t-face drunk a mere 72 hours later. Had I not been there to bring her home, I would be willing to bet everything I own that she would have tried to drive herself.

The most upsetting part about this is that when I tried to tell my FI how uncomfortable this whole thing has become for me and how legitimately concerned I am for her health and safety, he got very defensive and accused me of being judgemental. I feel like I can't make him see reason because he just wants to defend her and he insists that it's normal for her to "have fun". None of our friends in our social circle have parents who behave like this, including my own. Hell, even he and I DON'T behave like this, and we're 23 and 25 respecitvely! I've never felt such a loss for what to do having never encountered a situation like this before, but i am truly worried about her and about what this all means for how my FI will treat me in the future. He's so wrapped up in defending his mom that I feel like a total outsider when I express my concern. Anyone out there gone through anything like this? I'm at my wit's end :(

Re: FMIL has a serious problem...

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would contact Al-Anon and ask them for advice.  Your FI is an enabler who also needs help. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have a problem with people of any age going out occasionally and having responsible fun, but that is so not the case here. Getting so drunk you cannot stand and driving impared does not make for good healthy fun. I know you said it is not a drinking problem, but it sounds like one to me. I agree to contact AL-Anon. With so much going on in her life (drinking, divorce, bankruptcy), maybe you could convince her to see a counselor? (I'm assuming she will refuse AA because she doesn't believe she has a problem)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • edited December 2011
    And understand that you have a Fiance problem too.  If he can't at least acknowledge what her behavior looks like, he is a part of the problem.  You need to decide if you want to live with that til death do you part...because she won't be going away.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_fmil-serious-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:d84545a6-1c90-4000-8923-cb8e7a1d680cPost:edc7240d-127d-4b2d-82f3-705bf01cc10e">Re: FMIL has a serious problem...</a>:
    [QUOTE]And understand that you have a Fiance problem too.  If he can't at least acknowledge what her behavior looks like, he is a part of the problem.  You need to decide if you want to live with that til death do you part...because she won't be going away.
    Posted by Muffin'sMom[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree that it's a fiance problem.  She's an adult and her children are not, nor should they be responsible for her drinking.  People this irresponsible don't take responsibility until something drastic happens.

Too bad she didn't get nailed with a suspension and a heavy fine.  I'm relieved that she didn't kill an innocent person on the road.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If the FI is defending his mother's behavior and accusing his future wife of being judgmental where she's rightly concerned, there is a problem with him.  Everyone needs to take some responsibility here before an innocent person is killed because of her drinking and driving. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    I just want to give some perspective on the FI part. My dad is a recovering alcoholic and it was very difficult for me to see anything wrong with his behavior as his daughter. Even as an adult I still have the gut feeling that my parents are invincible even though if I think about it rationally I know they're human just like me. 

I would focus the conversation with FI more on the fact that she thinks she's ok to drive when she's clearly not. He doesn't want to see his mother hurt for sure. Ask him to talk to her about the driving part. 

Then just keep an eye on the situation. Yes drinking because you're having major life changes (divorce, bankruptcy, etc) isn't exactly healthy, but it may well be a temporary coping mechanism. Keep in mind that you probably don't go out much because you're in a relationship and you have someone at home to hang out with. She, however, doesn't and ending a marriage can be a terribly lonely experience. 

Are the daughters old enough to be left home alone?

• NurseLilyNurseLily member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If he got defensive it sounds like he's cognizant of the problem on some level but may not be ready to admit or know how to deal with it yet.

• edited December 2011
    your fiance is an enabler, he defends his mom and sees you as being judgmental because then it means that he would have to do something about it, he might be just as damaged from her behavior and emotionally unable to do anything. Battering him more and more about it wont help it will just make him feel more out of control.  If this man was not your fiance and you saw this kind of behavior from this woman in the same set of circumstances how would you handle it? Proceed from there....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards