Wedding Etiquette Forum

Poll: Your Wedding!

I'm still replaying all of the events from our wedding last saturday - the good, the unexpected, the wonderful... Here's a little poll for you regarding your wedding:

What is your favorite moment from the day/night?

If you could go back, what would you have done differently or changed?

Did anything go wrong?

Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job? Rate them each out of five stars. (If you had problems with any, did you let them know or consider what was done was done?)

Did you eat a full meal?

How did the night end? (Was it the traditional newlywed wedding night, or did you end up passed out in the MOH's hotel room?)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Poll: Your Wedding!

• edited May 2010
    I guess I could answer it myself as well:

The look on DH's face when he saw me for the first time. The tears and his sweet expression. I'll never forget that.

Paid more attention to the details of our rain plan - when everyone had to hustle inside, people just took seats where they could and it threw things off in a few different ways. I would have spent more time on the Plan B!

Did anything go wrong?

1. My veil ripped (the dry cleaners who steamed my gown put it inside the heavy black garment back with my dress, but left it hanging on the outside without a bag - the night before, my mom unzipped the bag to let everything out to hang, and tore it the entire lenth. Fortunately, it was a two-tier and the ripped tier was just the blusher without the detail. We just cut it out.)

2. It started pouring on our outdoor dinner in the middle of salads. Think soggy, dye-running DIY menus, placecards, table cards, etc. all over the place.

3. FIL got into a huge fight with BIL (the best man) at some point after he gave a really inappropriate and self-centered speech. BIL cried (and he's not a crier) and when DH found out, it somewhat ruined a good part of his night. He kept it all from me though so I wouldn't get upset.

4. Our DJ sucked. He made all kinds of mistakes and embarrassed us both at one point. He was all around awful, unorganized, and just a huge waste of a lot of money.

Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job? Rate them each out of five stars. (If you had problems with any, did you let them know or consider what was done was done?)

Flowers: 5 stars - I was mindblown by everything.

Catering: 5 stars - Service and food were beyond mine and anyone else's expectations. They were instrumental in the seamless transition from the outdoor rained out dinner to the indoor Plan B right in the middle of dinner service.

Bakery: 5 stars - The cake was incredible and absolutely beautiful. Perfect.

Officiant: 5 stars - So many wonderful surprises during the ceremony. Just created such a beautiful experience and really got to know us and our family. A wonderful person that we'll keep in touch with for the rest of our lives.

DJ: 2 stars - What an ass clown. I don't even know where to start. I can elaborate if anyone is interested.

Hair/Makeup - 3 and 1/2 stars - The service was outstanding, but I was never crazy about my hair. I just don't think they had the experience to make anything too intricate happen. I probably could have saved a ton of money by doing my own hair with the same results. But they were so nice and so patient. I wouldn't go to them again, but I commend them for their hard work and customer service.

Photography - 5 stars -  I can't say enough about them. They were prompt, professional, in all the right places, subtle, energetic, etc. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Did you eat a full meal?

Yes. Thankfully. Because it was delicious!

How did the night end? (Was it the traditional newlywed wedding night, or did you end up passed out in the MOH's hotel room?)

It seemed like it was going to go one way, but at 11:45, my grandmother told me that if I didn't "go get in the bed now, it was going to be too late." As awkward as it was, she was right. It was important to me to have a nice, private night with DH after the craziness of everything that week, so I went to find him and we left for our room. Laughing The party was basically over at that point (thanks DJ), so we didn't miss much by leaving before others.

• What is your favorite moment from the day/night?
    Just getting married. I didn't care about anything else, the food, the dancing, the decroations. Just standing up there with DH meant the most.

nothing, I loved every part of it.

Did anything go wrong?
    surprisingly, no. Things happened differently then I'd imagined them, but nothing went 'wrong.'

Our only vendor was Publix, for the cake. And it was amazing, definitely 5 stars.

Did you eat a full meal?
    Sure did. I love to eat and we had an incredible menu.

I'd say it ended on a happy note for sure :). We were exhausted, but that didn't stop us.
    The private last dance we did at the end of the night.  We didn't want it to end.

If you could go back, what would you have done differently or changed? I would have allowed more time to get ready so I could have gotten more candid shots with my bridesmaids and done our formal pics outside.

Did anything go wrong?
    My wedding planner made a few decor mistakes but nothing major.  Only I noticed.

Everyone except my planner gets 5 stars.  I chose them carefully and it paid off.

Did you eat a full meal?
    Yep.  And 2 pieces of cake.  Our venue made our plates for us so that helped.

It ended traditionally although we did stay up and read our guest book and cards first.
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment

Saying our vows. In our ceremony, you join your right hands on the Bible. So we were physically close and just lost in each other. On the video, there was a baby screaming and I had no clue.

Everything. I really did not enjoy the day. I have more bad memories than good.

Did anything go wrong?

YES. Many, many things. Quick rundown: FILs refused to come to rehearsal or rehearsal dinner they planned. My dad put off medical treatment until the morning of the wedding. He totally botched my hair style and it looked nothing like the trial. (He's a hairdresser.) I was late because everyone else was late. The caterer called during the ceremony and left me a voicemail that my parents credit card didn't go through, so my guests were sitting there without food or drinks. DH's whole family, including his parents left without us being able to greet them. ILs called us rude and inconsiderate and caused a giant rift that I still am upset about.

Very professional. My photographer was great and calmed me down when the caterer called. 5/5 The caterer, I don't blame them for what happened. They could have called a little sooner. 4/5

Did you eat a full meal?

Hell yes. We made sure of that.

We went out for one drink at a bar. Came home and intended to have sexy time. But got in the hot tub instead and basically wilted in the hot water. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • What is your favorite moment from the day/night?  Our last dance.  It was so more chill at the end of the night, there were only about 30 people there (as opposed to the 270ish something that came)  We danced to M. Ward's "I ain't never had nobody like you" and all the guests stood around the dance floor and clapped.  I wish it wasn't midnight and the photographer was still there to get a picture.  We have one, but its kind of crappy, but I framed it anyway.

If you could go back, what would you have done differently or changed? I would have asked our priest to keept homily at about 15-20 minutes.  It ran on for 45 minutes and we were so behind the rest of the day.

Did anything go wrong?   Just the homily, other than that everything was fantastic.

We hired a string quartet.  They were sort of a pain in the butt.  Since our Mass ran over, they charged us over time.  It was the most uncomfortable phone call ever. I knew they charged over time, she mentioned it when we first talked.  However, she didn't put it in the contract.  She called after the wedding saying I owed $100 for going 20 minutes over (seriously, I about crapped myself when I heard that)  I just paid it to shut her up, but I told her I was looking at the contract and there is nothing in the contract about it.  She knew I was not happy, but I was paying it to just make her go away.

I also informed her before the ceremony started, she came down to say hello, and asked if I'd like the organ or the quartet to play "Ave Maria" for when we give the flowers to Mary, I told her whatever is easiest.  They stayed for that song.  If they would have left they could have left on time.  The organ could have played that song.

...so uhhh...there's that!

Did you eat a full meal?  Sort of. We offered two dishes, I got one and Nick got one, and we shared.

How did the night end? (Was it the traditional newlywed wedding night, or did you end up passed out in the MOH's hotel room?)It was a half ass attempt at sex.  We were both exhausted
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e18e9ab9-a2ae-4443-8181-d68da482b8a7Post:ac8096c2-d1df-41e1-8126-9204ec554800">Re: Poll: Your Wedding!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is your favorite moment from the day/night? Saying our vows. In our ceremony, you join your right hands on the Bible. So we were physically close and just lost in each other. On the video, there was a baby screaming and I had no clue. If you could go back, what would you have done differently or changed? Everything. I really did not enjoy the day. I have more bad memories than good. Did anything go wrong? YES. Many, many things. Quick rundown: FILs refused to come to rehearsal or rehearsal dinner they planned. My dad put off medical treatment until the morning of the wedding. He totally botched my hair style and it looked nothing like the trial. (He's a hairdresser.) I was late because everyone else was late. The caterer called during the ceremony and left me a voicemail that my parents credit card didn't go through, so my guests were sitting there without food or drinks. DH's whole family, including his parents left without us being able to greet them. ILs called us rude and inconsiderate and caused a giant rift that I still am upset about. Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job? Rate them each out of five stars. (If you had problems with any, did you let them know or consider what was done was done?) Very professional. My photographer was great and calmed me down when the caterer called. 5/5 The caterer, I don't blame them for what happened. They could have called a little sooner. 4/5 Did you eat a full meal? Hell yes. We made sure of that. How did the night end? (Was it the traditional newlywed wedding night, or did you end up passed out in the MOH's hotel room?) We went out for one drink at a bar. Came home and intended to have sexy time. But got in the hot tub instead and basically wilted in the hot water. 
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry. I'm so glad you do have the good memories from your vows though. That's the most important part.. just try to hold onto that. :::hugs:::

I have these really hilarious pictures of people dancing. One of my favorite parts of our wedding was that EVERYONE had a huge smile on their face and had fun the whole night. I have a very conservative aunt who doesn't typically dance or drink... and I have photo evidence of her, wine in hand, shakin it with one of my BM's. good times. We have these awesome pictures of everyone having a good time. Makes me happy to think of my friends and family that way.

I wish our venue had let us stay longer. Music had to be off by 11:30. We couldv'e kept going for a long time.

Did anything go wrong?

It POURED. and our wedding was planned for all outdoors. We made it work, though. we had a back up plan, and did it. It wasn't as pretty as it was supposed to be, but in the end, I really didn't care.

vendors were awesome

Did you eat a full meal?

Heck yea. The food was awesome

How did the night end?

The reception ended with everyone rocking out to Don't Stop Believing. Then we all went to a bar, still all dressed up. I think we were out until about 3.
    My favourite moment before the ceremony was seeing my FI come downstairs and we got to have a few minutes by ourselves to calm down. My favourite moment during the ceremony was doing our handfasting. It was so powerful and emotional to us, I'm so glad we were able to do it.

The only thing I would have done was talk to the DJ more specifically than I thought I had about music choices.

Did anything go wrong? 
    We forgot a box with major things in it and had to call a few related guests to ask them to get the box and bring it to the church.

Everything went almost perfectly! The only vendor that let me down was the DJ and that wasn't even horrible. He at least got names right and did all the announcements correctly, but he did not listen when I was telling him what kind of music we absolutely hated and pretty much played them all.

Did you eat a full meal? 
    We skipped the salad to walk around and greet tables, but we sat and ate everything else.

We were the last to leave with FI's dad and my parents. We went to the hotel room down the street, opened our cards and counted money lol then had fun and went to sleep.
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited May 2010
    What is your favorite moment from the day/night?  The ceremony, all of it.

If you could go back, what would you have done differently or changed?  I would change a few things like my dress and the venue, but those are trivial things.

Did anything go wrong?  the weather didn't cooperate, we didn't get some of the pictures we wanted and the cake was wrong but in the scheme of things, nothing major went wrong.

Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job? All of our vendors were very professional, even the ones who made errors.

Did you eat a full meal?  Yes and a piece of cake!

How did the night end? After the reception ended, the after party started at the hotel's bar, and after that ended the bridal party continued the party in our suite until 4 am.
  • In Response to Poll: Your Wedding!:

What is your favorite moment from the day/night? There was one moment during the reception when H and I were standing to the side and I said, "wow, all these people are here for us!"

If you could go back, what would you have done differently or changed? I would have made sure the DJ was closer to us during the toasts so we could hand the mic right back.  We had 3 extra people come up and give toasts.

Did anything go wrong? We had about 30% no-shows.  His drunk aunt gave a weird and rambling "toast" where she called H by his brother's name.  It rained so we (well my DOC) had to move everything inside with an hour to go.  In the hustle of moving everything she forgot to put the funnel for the sand on the table so we couldn't get it in the bottle.  But we laughed everything off and it really makes good stories.

Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job? Rate them each out of five stars. (If you had problems with any, did you let them know or consider what was done was done?) Yes, they all did a wonderful job.  I'd give everyone 5 stars.  I was only disappointed in the venue.  I've seen pictures of brides getting ready in this one big room, but the woman yelled at me and said it has never been available.  Then 2 of the tables had legs that were broken.  Luckily we rented another table for cocktail hour (that we nixed due to the rain) so we still had plenty of seating.

Did you eat a full meal? I didn't, I think I had maybe 4 bites.  H had 2 big plates though.

How did the night end? (Was it the traditional newlywed wedding night, or did you end up passed out in the MOH's hotel room?) After opening the cards and gifts we consummated the marriage.  He passed out, but I was too excited for the cruise the next day.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • Shannon, what did your dj do?
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment

I would have allowed more time to get ready.  I felt very rushed.  I would also have hired a DOC to take care of all the details I tended to myself.

Did anything go wrong?  The only thing was the cake collapsing.  It was a full sheet cake with a triangular stack in the corner, and the stack slid off.  But, meh, we got pictures of it before, and it was still delicious.

Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job? Rate them each out of five stars. (If you had problems with any, did you let them know or consider what was done was done?)  My vendors were awesome.  Caterer - 5 stars.  DH's BM works in restaurant supply, and he helped me work with the caterer to get great deals on the food.  Cake - 4 stars, but only because of the above reference.  Delicious and plenty to go around.  Venue - 5 stars (see below).  Florist - 5 stars.  Wonderful lady and gorgeous flowers.  Photographer - 4 stars, only because we didn't get all the family shots I wanted.  But he gave me an extraordinarily low price (I actually paid more than he was asking because it wasn't enough).

Did you eat a full meal?  No.  I ate maybe 1/2 meal all day.  But, the guests raved about the food, and we took the leftovers home so it was all good.

How did the night end? (Was it the traditional newlywed wedding night, or did you end up passed out in the MOH's hotel room?)  Our wedding was at a B&B that we had rented for 24 hours.  All our OOT family stayed there with us - there are 9 rooms in the main house and we got the cottage outside.  After most of the guests left we wound down with those who were staying, then went to our cottage and had some time alone.  It was great, and in the morning we got a fantastic breakfast and time to enjoy our family before they all headed for home in the afternoon. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Sorry, I don't mean to jump in without even being married yet, but I just have to say that you all are making me a little teary eyed. Even when things went wrong you can tell that you all had wonderful days. Congrats!

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

Honestly, having a drink after the ceremony, I was MELTING in the heat. It was just one of those hilarious "aaaahhhhh" moments.

I'd have had a small destination wedding... but my Greek family would've protested for sure.

Did anything go wrong?
    Yes, it was bloody warm. We had rain all summer and then poof, Alix's wedding arrives and we get not a cloud in the sky, but nearing 40c temperatures. I lost eight pounds! EIGHT!

Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job?
    They were all great actually. No problems whatsoever.

Did you eat a full meal?
    Nope. I think I had a bite of salad and then a bite of cake. And maybe a scallop while we had photos done.

How did the night end?
    We went back to our hotel and I promptly said "get away from me, I'm gross and I need a shower". Then we snuggled and fell asleep, it was way too warm for anything else.
  • What is your favorite moment from the day/night?: Being announced husband and wife

If you could go back, what would you have done differently or changed?: Making hair and make-up appointments even earlier in the day.

Did anything go wrong?: Me and the rest of the ladies were extremely late getting there, so we did not get to take many pictures before the ceremony.  That resulted in not having many pictures of me and my girls and barely any of just me.

Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job? Rate them each out of five stars. (If you had problems with any, did you let them know or consider what was done was done?): All of them were really good except for the DJ.  I emailed him after the wedding and he gave me a $300 refund.

Did you eat a full meal?: Definitely.  Our food was too good not to.

How did the night end?: We unloaded our car, ate a little something, and then passed out as soon as we got home.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e18e9ab9-a2ae-4443-8181-d68da482b8a7Post:3ea77bd5-758a-44be-a323-48c9bdf4e2ca">Re: Poll: Your Wedding!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shannon, what did your dj do?
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

He touted his best service as that of "coordinator" for the rehearsal and the day. He was spacey and unorganized with coordinating the rehearsal. No one knew where they were supposed to be and when and he even told DH to enter in a completely different area (the day of) than he'd told him the previous day and didn't even remember telling him where he was supposed to be the previous day.

He played our ceremony music DURING pre-ceremony seating - even though DH and I spent days developing a pre-ceremony playlist. So our awesome ceremony music was spoiled before the ceremony began. He didn't play one song on the list we gave him, and everything was all go the day before.

He mispronounced <strong>everyone's</strong> names - even though I gave him phonetic spelling for each attendant - if he wasn't sure, you'd think he'd take his job seriously enough to double check. And we're not talking about Bartolomucciski here - we're talking about names like "Smithman" and "Browns." Not only that, but he made strange assumptions about attendant names. For example, BIL has a different last name than DH - even though we gave him first and last names of all attendants, he continued to call BIL by the wrong name: First Name, Last Name, and then added DH's last name to the end! I was furious about it because we never told him that was BIL's name and after the first time he did it, we told him about his mistake, and he continued to do it all night. Ass.

The Anniversary Dance was his idea. You know, where he plays a song, has all couples dance to it, then one by one, dismisses couples who've been together for less than x years. At the end, the couple that's been together the longest is left dancing. He called all couples out to the dance floor. We all danced and he stood there playing the entire song without dismissing anyone. He announced it as the anniversary dance and then must have spaced out because it was just a regular dance.

He assured DH and I that he wasn't going to mention how we met because I was dating his half brother. In the end, he said he was going to mention it, but it would be very subtle and tactful. He basically announced it in the most blunt and inappropriately awkward way ever during dinner. Nice. Let's all raise our glasses to that.

He didn't play a single song from our must-play list.

He forgot to introduce the wedding party into the reception, so we all just stood up there waiting for him. Finally someone found him and he was awkward and couldn't get his shiit together.

He referred to DH's stepmother as my mom. There was absolutely no reason he should have done this, considering how closely we all worked together on everything, the fact that she is actually the owner of the B&B where we got married, and is somewhat of a client of hers since she includes him on her preferred vendor list for the guests of the Inn. She will not ever use him again.

He did so many other weird things. I can't even begin to list them all here, but that was just a taste. 

• What is your favorite moment from the day/night?  the picture taking was actually really fun.

If you could go back, what would you have done differently or changed? pushed my husband to have it be just siblings and parents only.

Did anything go wrong? nope.

Were your vendors professional and did they do a good job? Rate them each out of five stars. (If you had problems with any, did you let them know or consider what was done was done?) the best!!!  5 stars for all.

Did you eat a full meal? and then som.e

How did the night end? (Was it the traditional newlywed wedding night, or did you end up passed out in the MOH's hotel room?)   we left for our honeymoon hotel at 7pm that night (wedding ended at 4pm, and we honeymooned 1.5 hours from home).
    Dancing with my friends and new husband and seeing family I haven't seen in a while
    I would have had the ceremony later in the day- we had it earlier and it was shorter than expected and resulted in a hour gap that I did not want
    Did anything go wrong?
    not to my knowledge, aside from the gap thing and us being early to the reception, which wasn't really a big deal
    All of my vendors were wonderful(altough the photog is being a bit slow with proofs, but that's what I expected)
    Did you eat a full meal?
    yes
    We stayed until the end of the reception then went to a bar with the wedding party
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What is your favorite moment from the day/night? Um.  Hmmm.  Our photographer played rah rah rasputin and made our guest dance in circles around us.  it was so awesome. 

We would have saw each other before the ceremony.  Did photos and all that jazz.  Then got married.  Less gappage and smoother of a day I think. 

Did anything go wrong?
    Not anything specific to the wedding.  My GF's FI was extremely offensive to many many guests.  And we had to move the Food table to a different area.  But, we didn't care.  Also, I dropped out laptop a month before and lost the slide show I spent a good 5 hours on. 

My DJ was kind of an ass, but he was the best DJ - EVER.  I told him I felt weird about what happened between him and a friend of mine.  But that was it.  He did his job well, he  was just an ass to my friend.  I didn't find out til way afterwards.  But, she picked a fight with him because he didn't have some of the music she requested.  He told her that he would shut down for the night.  She told him to go ahead because she had her ipod and would pick up his slack!  (bahahahahah so funny!  IMO.  she was drunk.  but made nice with him towards the end of the night) and he told her to suck  his d!ck.  So, yeah, not great.  But, man he had everyone dancing all night.  He was damn good at his job.

Did you eat a full meal?
    we had hot dogs between ceremony and reception.  And then I had a crab cake at the reception.  Oh and some cake. 

We went to the room.  I wanted to have a shower and then possibly have a traditional wedding night, if you will.  Realized that aunt flo decided to make an appearance.  So we went to bed.  We slept like a dream though. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards