Not Engaged Yet
Options

Getting Surgery Tomorrow

Yup. Kind of puts a damper on all my plans for Memorial Day weekend - a BBQ on Sunday, a trip to NYC on Monday. But at least I'll still be able to go down the shore in a week!

Anywho, I woke up around 1:30 yesterday morning with terrible pains in my chest and upper abdominals. I thought it was heartburn so I took Pepcid AC and Gas-Ex and thought it would go away after a few hours, as usual.

Well, this was not the case. I was in constant pain for a solid 13 hours before I made BF take me to the doctor's office. They told me to go straight to the ER. At the ER, they dosed me with a painkiller and sent me for an ultrasound.

Turns out I had not one but two gallstones, and my white blood cell count was very high. They gave me Percocet, told me to take some ibuprofen for the time being, and to follow up with my physician the next day.

Today I went to the doc's. After an exam he told me I needed to see a surgeon. He couldn't get one at their office, but spoke to one over the phone, who told said that based on my exam and the amount of pain I was still feeling, I needed my gallbladder taken out immediately.

I've never been overnight in the hospital before, let alone had surgery. So I'm a little nervous. I'm not too thrilled but my mom and BF will be with me.

Anyone else had gallbladder surgery? I'm really nervous. Apparently it's a very simple thing and they do it laparoscopically. I'll be released on Sunday. So, awesome?

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: Getting Surgery Tomorrow

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You poor thing! That sucks!

I've never had surgery, either. So I can't give you any advice. But I hope you feel better soon! I'm sure everything will work out just fine. Don't worry!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom had it done, she only had a little tiny scar. I unfortunately have spent quite a few nights at the hospital and have had 4 actual surgeries and several other non surgical hospitalizations (let's just say I am a medical disaster...). it's no big deal, however you have to modify your diet a little bit after surgery (not forever though). I have had the scan for those a couple times but I seem to keep passing the stones so they won't actually take my gall bladder out even though I can be in terrible pain.

Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Laparoscopy isn't too bad. I had it for girl problems. Laparoscopy just means they cut a few tiny holes (smaller than an inch), stick tiny cameras and tools in the little holes and do the surgery that way. The recovery from the surgery itself should be fine. The incisions might itch a little or hurt a little - just small cuts. But be prepared for a very weird pain/pressure. When they cut the little hole, they inflate your abdomen with air so they have room to work. That air stays in your belly a bit after the surgery. You will be a little bloated. And it leaks out the incisions - sounds like rice krispies. I can't make this stuff up. It is the weirdest thing. But until it all leaks out or dissipates, you might have strange shoulder or chest pain. That hurt me worse than the rest of the stuff, which involved cutting, burning, whatever.

The "air pain" lasts 24-72 hours, supposedly. Mine was 2 or 3 days. I never found anything to make it better, aside from percoset or vicodin. Maybe ask your doctor if there's a good position to sit/lay in, something like that. It's just WEIRD.

A friend of mine had his gallbladder out the same way you are having and he said the same thing. (In fact, he warned ME about the shoulder pain.)

GOOD LUCK to you! You should be good for the shore. Just plan to take it easy for a few days.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom had surgery and I remember her having the bloated pain. She said that rocking in a rocking chair helped a little bit. I guess it moved the air around so it dissipated faster? No idea.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had mine out, but it was done the old-fashioned way. They'd just started doing the laparascopic procedure for gallbladder removal, but I wasn't a candidate anyway - mine was too inflamed. So, I've got a nice 7 or so inch scar across the right side of my stomach and spent 5 days in the hospital.

The surgeon was kind enough to give me lots of painkillers and let me go to college graduation, but I was not allowed to do ANYTHING but walk in the ceremony, then come home after.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh hunny! You poor thing! *hugs* I've never personally spent a night in the hospital, either.  But my sister had several lengthy stays when we were kids.  It's not that bad.

Good luck, hun! I'm sending magical Canadian knottie vibes your way!!

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom had hers out when I was little. It's much better to just get it out if it's bothering you, and if you HAVE to have it done, then laparascopic is the way to go. It cuts (no pun intended) the recovery time in half.

Good luck! Feel better!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Poor thing!!!  My dad had his out a few years ago and they did it laparascopicly and his recovery was about a week. He was only in the hospital a couple of days and he slept through most of it. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    : ( so sorry. I will be thinking of you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw, that sucks!  I know a couple people who've have similar surgeries and aside from the bloating didn't have much pain and recovered very quickly.  I've been hospitalized half a dozen times or so and it's mostly boring and awkward (unless you're in a lot of pain, then it's nice to have the strong stuff), so hopefully you can go recover on your own couch for the majority of the time you're out of commission! 
    imageimageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards