Registry and Gift Forum

Poll: Registry observations

I've noticed a few things random things happening with our registries, and I thought I'd post my random observations.

-People LOVE buying kitchen electrics/appliances.  Our toaster and hand mixer were the #1 first things purchased off our registry.  When things started getting low, we added a nicer coffee maker, a bread maker, and a waffle iron, and they were bought almost immediately. 

-Our bedding was probably the second most popular item, even though the stuff we registered for was pretty pricey and nobody would buy it.

-Nobody has bought us a single knife off our registry.  Apparently, it's bad luck to give knives as gifts--who knew?

-People have not been interested in buying towels or luggage.  Or, really, small kitchen things--measuring cups and spoons, spatulas, etc.

-I never imagined the sheer amount of packaging we'd have in our house.  We have so many boxes we have to store them in the garage after we break them down to recycle a few each week.  It's crazy how much padding goes into wrapping one little thing!

-We are registered at Macy's, Crate and Barrel, and Bed Bath and Beyond.  I thought BBB would be the most popular because of the 20% off coupons, but Macy's was probably the most popular, with C&B a close second.  Our BBB registry has had, by far, the least stuff purchased off it.

What have everyone else's experiences been with their registries so far?  Things that surprised you, trends you noticed, etc? 
two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: Poll: Registry observations

• We had the same thing with BB&B and Macy's.  Most of our stuff was on the BB&B because it was cheaper, especially with the 20%, but the Macy's pretty much got cleared out early.  

The other thing that went really fast on ours was bar stuff.  Our friends all gave us the pretty glassware and stuff.  
  • Compared to your observations, we've had some of our towels and our steak knives purchased.  No one's purchased little kitchen items unless they were off registry.  We only registered for a couple kitchen electrics (combo food processor/blender, waffle iron, crock pot) and all of those were given to us at the shower.

Our barware went fast.  Plus an off registry set of hand painted wine glasses that I'd been eyeing for years and a corkscrew set.

Our bedding was purchased when I had figured on using gift cards and a coupon toward it, since it's one of the sets that comes with a million things and you can't register for the pieces separately.  So that was really exciting.

People don't like to give table settings, so far.  I don't think our pattern is carried in store though.
  • edited April 2010
    All of our small kitchen electrics got bought almost instantly too. 

Target was/is a lot more popular with the guests than Macy's.

People spent a lot more on shower gifts than I originally thought. Most people ended up getting 2-3 things for $50-100. I originally anticipated people getting 1 thing for $30-50. As a result, our registries are 75% (Macy's) and 90% (Target) fulfilled.

If I could go back, I wouldn't register for the small kitchen tools. We ended up getting a bunch of all sorts of tools and most weren't the ones on the registry, so having them on there was pretty pointless in the end.

I've heard nothing but terrible things about Target's registry but I haven't had a single problem with it so far. Returns were super easy as well.

We got a TON of knives. We got three blocks of knives plus some individual knives. I don't think most of my guests buy into "luck."

imageimage
  • We registered for a LOT of things, simply because we've been told to register for 3x's the amount of gifts as guests and we're having a large wedding.  I've had to go back and add things to it a lot in the last few weeks as the shower approaches, and I've noticed a lot of the same things as PPs- all of my kitchen appliances went quickly, as well as pots and pans and bath items.

All of our small kitchen tools have been purchased too; I think I am having a wishing well, so that might explain that.
  • The shower isn't until May 22, and already all of the small kitchen electrics have been bought.

Crate and Barrel has been the most popular.

Brie- someone just bought our Hotel Collection duvet cover! Yay!
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_poll-registry-observations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:51c0f52d-d0d6-45f3-aac4-a1735c958f03Post:77bf4461-edfb-409f-a5de-1db87d3f0aa7">Poll: Registry observations</a>:
    [QUOTE]-Nobody has bought us a single knife off our registry.  Apparently, it's bad luck to give knives as gifts--who knew?
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

We just set up our registries this past weekend and are still working on them, so nothing has been bought yet.  But, I am really worried about this.  Nice knives are probably the things we want most of all, and I really hope people buy them!  I'm kind of hoping that seeing the huge number of knives we've registered for will clue them in that we really want them!
    Married 10/2/10
  • We have only had a few things bought so far, but 2 were kitchen items, and a set of sheets. Oh!! And Fi's mom bought us the Wii!!!! My shower invites just went out a week or so ago, the shower is end of May so hopefully we'll see more stuff getting bought soon.  Most of our stuff is actually kitchen stuff, so I do expect that to be heavy.  But we also have 2 games on our Target registry that would be awesome for game nights with friends, I really want them.
    Crosswalk
  • Yes, our kitchen stuff has been the most popular, followed by towels. Not a single bedroom item has been purchased. FI and I actually went in and took off most of the rest of the remaining kitchen items, because we received so many non-registry kitchen items we don't have any more room.

BBB has been the most popular; it's about half completed with Dillard's barely touched. My fine tableware is registered at a local store back home; I am expecting most of those things this weekend at my home shower (that's just the norm in my hometown).....
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_poll-registry-observations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:51c0f52d-d0d6-45f3-aac4-a1735c958f03Post:77bf4461-edfb-409f-a5de-1db87d3f0aa7">Poll: Registry observations</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've noticed a few things random things happening with our registries, and I thought I'd post my random observations. -People LOVE buying kitchen electrics/appliances.  Our toaster and hand mixer were the #1 first things purchased off our registry.  When things started getting low, we added a nicer coffee maker, a bread maker, and a waffle iron, and they were bought almost immediately.  -Our bedding was probably the second most popular item, even though the stuff we registered for was pretty pricey and nobody would buy it. -Nobody has bought us a single knife off our registry.  Apparently, it's bad luck to give knives as gifts--who knew? -People have not been interested in buying towels or luggage.  Or, really, small kitchen things--measuring cups and spoons, spatulas, etc. -I never imagined the sheer amount of packaging we'd have in our house.  We have so many boxes we have to store them in the garage after we break them down to recycle a few each week.  It's crazy how much padding goes into wrapping one little thing! -We are registered at Macy's, Crate and Barrel, and Bed Bath and Beyond.  I thought BBB would be the most popular because of the 20% off coupons, but Macy's was probably the most popular, with C&B a close second.  Our BBB registry has had, by far, the least stuff purchased off it. What have everyone else's experiences been with their registries so far?  Things that surprised you, trends you noticed, etc? 
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

I didn't put knives on our registry because the superstition is that gifting a knife is hoping to cut your relationship.  The two times I gave knives as gifts, that turned out to be the case.  I certainly don't want to end my relationship with any of my invited guests!
  • It's been my experience from my registries and other friends' registries that stuff in the maybe $35-$75 range gets bought first. People don't seem to want to buy the less expensive stuff like towels and small kitchen items, maybe because they'd have to buy a lot of them to make up the cost of just buying, say, a toaster or a coffee grinder? And buying just one item is easier? I have no idea, ha ha.

We haven't had any place settings purchased yet. We really need new dishes though. Sad face. :(
  • I just threw a shower for FI's cousin last weekend and EVERYTHING she got was for the kitchen. And alot of off registry items, so she got 4 sets of everyday glassware, at least 5 people got her kitchen hand towels...only 3 of us purchased from her registry.
    My first shower invitations went out Monday for the end of May (my hometown OOS shower) and my second shower isn't until June 13th, so nothing is off my registries yet, but I'm pretty sure my Penney's registry will be the most used, but I'm hoping for a lot of the things that are on my Dillard's registry that FI wouldn't necessarily think are essential for us to have are bought for our June 13th shower.
    I really need to stop stalking, but I just get so psyched everytime I look at them!
    "It is never to late to become what you might have been..."
  • We're registered at BB&B and Crate and Barrel and practically no one has bought off our C&B registry :(

Ditto on the kitchen appliances.  I noticed for my shower that gifts from $30-80 were most popular.  Only the Stand Mixer and 2 $99 items were left.  Bowl sets also were very popular.

I expected the glasses to be a more popular item but they are at C&B and no one has gotten us any.  At my shower everything was kitchen related except some towels and a set of candles holder hurricanes we didn't register for.  Oh and one picture frame.  I also got quite a few things I didn't register for but they were items I don't have like a sifter and baking mat etc.

The problem w/BB&B and the China is that it's not carried in store so although guests can use the coupon they have to pay shipping which sucks.  No knives purchased yet and barely any pots/pans.  Serving dishes were popular though.
  • we uploaded our williams sonoma registry onto our myregistry.com wish list and let me tell you...almost everything from spatulas to our fancy schmancy Breville coffee maker were purchased! Really exciting - I think guests love purchasing electronics and kitchen utencils especially if they are coming from a delectable store!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards