Arizona-Phoenix

Registration card in invites?

From all the lurking I've done on the international boards I KNOW that its generally not good etiquette to include your registry information in the invitations; however, I received my cousin's wedding invite yesterday and she included a registry card. When I acted shocked, my mom said that EVERYONE includes that and its helpful for the guests. So...Phoenix brides....tell me...yay or nay?

Re: Registration card in invites?

• ellennazellennaz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nay  they should not feel they have to bring a gift they can find out by word of mouth
  • edited December 2011
    Nay, I agree----word of mouth is the way to go. Or, you can have it on your website, where things aren't as formal.
    Realistic Idealist Extrordinaire Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Updated 9/28/10
    Planning Bio
  • arthomas82arthomas82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I will spread the word to my mom! She has come to trust the advice from this site, so now that it isn't coming from me she will agree to keep them out of the invites
  • applemarieapplemarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yay...
    I just went thru this this ordeal as well asking friends,coworkers, and my bridesmaids about whether or not to include registry information.  EVERYONE I talked to said its no big deal.  They could care less and they see often.  One of my bridesmaids is having a year of weddings...she's pretty much in them or attending about once a month.  She said she sees it alot included and never things twice about it if its tacky and when she doesn't see it she has to seek out the information anyway!!!
    I think our guests know us better that we would never expect a present but I just don't want the thousandth time question..."where are you registered"? Or hear "I didn't know you were registered at ________."

I mean,why do they even have registry's if you can't even tell anyone!

I am going to include it on an insert separate from the invite super small font.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    See, thats what I've been hearing as well. I have definitely seen them in invites a lot and I would like to avoid the "Where are you registered?" question as well. BUT...who knows...what to do?!
  • belgirlbelgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NAY NAY NAY!  LOL...The problem is in today's society...this "everything goes" attitude works well for some aspects but has also affected what is proper etiquette.  Registry info can be put on your website or told through word of mouth.  :) I mean the sky isn't going to fall if you do include the registry info, but the traditionalist in me screams "tacky."  :)
  • edited December 2011
    NAY! I just got an invitation with registry info in it and I personally thought it was tacky. You can put your wedding web site address on the invitations and have the registry information on there to make it convenient, but not crammed down guests' throats and that seems to be more acceptable. I agree with Belgirl, though, it's not like the world will end if you include it. :)
  • alschmidalschmid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I vote for Nay, but I'm really not offended when I get an invite with the registry information in it.  I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it when I know some people would really not like to have it included.
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jadel74jadel74 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen it before and I haven't thought anything about it; on that note, I elected to leave it off the invitations and put our website on our invitations instead. It seems to be the most "proper" way to go.
  • edited December 2011
    I hate to break it to you arthomas- but just from looking at the responses on this thread, I don't think your'e going to get a concentual answer.  It seems that people have different opinions on what is proper ettiquite and what is not.  And that's just the thing- this topic is a matter of opinion. 

The long and short of it is that you will probably have guests on your invite list that also represent both sides- some may not even think twice if they recieve an invite that includes where you're registered, where as some more old-school traditionalists will think it's tacky.  It's not a matter of there being any "problem with today's society"- because you know what, we all happen to live in today's society- not society 50 years ago.  Times change.

So I say weigh your options.  If you think some of your guests won't be able to find out where you're registered if you DON'T include it- then include it, but you may run this risk of some people finding it bad form.  I, personally, am not traditional- and say do what you want.  But like I said- that's just an opinion.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's tacky to put registry information on your pretty information.  We are putting our website info on our Save The Date's.  The registry will be on the website.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I think I've decided to just put the website on the invitations and our website will have the registry info...thanks for the advice!
  • edited December 2011
    I did not, I think it's tacky
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nay as well to any part of the invitation. I added a registry link to our wedsite, and let folks know - when the called, and asked where we were registered at.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • belgirlbelgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_registration-card-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:dc5cce4d-9803-4249-8e04-1274f455f7b9Post:f9120f84-51a3-4e69-bb92-6b491e4a8938">Re: Registration card in invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate to break it to you arthomas- but just from looking at the responses on this thread, I don't think your'e going to get a concentual answer.  It seems that people have different opinions on what is proper ettiquite and what is not.  And that's just the thing- this topic is a matter of opinion.  The long and short of it is that you will probably have guests on your invite list that also represent both sides- some may not even think twice if they recieve an invite that includes where you're registered, where as some more old-school traditionalists will think it's tacky.  It's not a matter of there being any "problem with today's society"- because you know what, we all happen to live in today's society- not society 50 years ago.  Times change. So I say weigh your options.  If you think some of your guests won't be able to find out where you're registered if you DON'T include it- then include it, but you may run this risk of some people finding it bad form.  I, personally, am not traditional- and say do what you want.  But like I said- that's just an opinion.
    Posted by Beckity[/QUOTE]

So does this mean I can walk down the aisle in a see through bikini?  LOL.
  • CellesCelles member
    edited December 2011
    Nay from me, too.  Including registry information with your invitation implies that you are expecting a gift, and that's always rude.  

It's not hard to find out where someone is registered.  Google it if you're Internet saavy, or ask the parents or a member of the wedding party if you're not.  Easy peasy.
  • CellesCelles member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_registration-card-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:71Discussion:dc5cce4d-9803-4249-8e04-1274f455f7b9Post:8b5bea2b-6ba8-42d2-ab2c-e48da739239d">Re: Registration card in invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think our guests know us better that we would never expect a present but I just don't want the thousandth time question..."where are you registered"? Posted by applemarie[/QUOTE]

O! the horrors of having to talk to a close friend or family member who wants to *gasp* buy me a present!  *clutches pearls*
  • edited December 2011

We are definitely not going to include registry information in our invitation, we are adding it to your website listed on both our Save the Dates and invitations. Yes, it is done often and people don't mind it, but providing on the website where everyone can access it is pretty much the safest bet!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_registration-card-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:dc5cce4d-9803-4249-8e04-1274f455f7b9Post:b0778088-8c16-4086-a0cb-b5c3e3906f07">Re: Registration card in invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registration card in invites? : So does this mean I can walk down the aisle in a see through bikini?  LOL.
    Posted by belgirl[/QUOTE]

Well TECHNICALLY it is your wedding and you can do what you want.  If you're that comfortable with public nudity- go for it.  Who am I to tell you it's wrong?  hehe
  • jware1985jware1985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan on doing an information card, with hotel info, location of cermony and reception since they are just around the corner of each other and also our website... lol which i chould probably update before i send out the invites....
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards