Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Ice Cream Dessert Bar

I was thinking of having an ice cream bar with brownies for dessert.....has anyone tried this and have suggestions on how to make it a success!!?!?! I feel it might be super messy but a big hit!  Any ideas? I'm really not into cake much and trying to think of new ideas.

Re: Ice Cream Dessert Bar

• edited December 2011
    I've seen this on planning bios and I think the best tip would be to have the ice cream pre scooped. I've seen really cute pics of the different bowls of flavors with all the ice cream already in scoops. Makes it easier for guests to get the ice cream.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I'd only consider doing this if you could rent a soft-serve machine to cut down on mess. 
  • SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having ice cream but ONLY if we hire someone to scoop it for the guests .So maybe the same person who is serving the cake can also serve the ice cream. I've seen ice cream at weddings where it's self serve and it gets everywhere.
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our caterer is supplying this for us as a "late night snack" around 9:30 - 10 pm (our reception ends at midnight). They are supplying the items (3 kinds of ice cream, various toppings and sauces) for $4.50 a person. However, we have reduced the guest count for this, because we are having cake earlier, and more than likely just the kids and 20-somethings will have it. They'll have someone there to serve it, and I purchased pretty small clear bowls online from smarty-had-a-party to save some money.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you considered calling a local ice cream place, like Cold Stone, to come do this for you?  That's the only way I've heard it done successfully.

Soft-serve machines are problematic for large crowds because you can usually only get 100-150 servings per hour (who wants to wait a full hour before they get theirs?) and if you rush it, the ice cream is too runny.  I considered renting a fro-yo machine for mine, but figured it wasn't worth it.

• Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I attended a wedding that was themed as an ice cream social.  They had servers dressed up as 1900s soda jerks who were scooping and saucing the icecream.  Flavors of ice cream were limited (Chocolate, vanilla, mint and peach) and Sauces were limited to Hot Fudge, Chocolate Marshmallow, Fresh Strawberry and Hot Caramel.    The servers handled the whipped cream.  There was a separate table for toppings (bananas in rum sauce, candied walnuts, chocolate chips, reese's peanut butter cups and many others.  It was a big hit. 

The wedding was 80 people and two servers were needed to keep up with the demand with another running out for ice cream. (The freezer was in the back of the hall). At times, there was a line.   The serving bowl was deliberately small (2 scoops) but guests could have refills and small children needed Mom or Dad in line with them.
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ice-cream-dessert-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:feb2301d-238d-414e-8d61-c850a998cd19Post:c6313202-6a9e-42cf-a166-a1eb51ae9d24">Re: Ice Cream Dessert Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Have you considered calling a local ice cream place, like Cold Stone, to come do this for you?</strong>  That's the only way I've heard it done successfully. Soft-serve machines are problematic for large crowds because you can usually only get 100-150 servings per hour (who wants to wait a full hour before they get theirs?) and if you rush it, the ice cream is too runny.  I considered renting a fro-yo machine for mine, but figured it wasn't worth it.
    Posted by lthom17[/QUOTE]

Our reception venue actually offers this as a late-night snack option.  Two Cold Stone employees staff it and prepare and scoop the ice cream for guests, so I know they offer it and I think it would be a great idea if you could do it.  I'm an ice-cream fanatic, so I'd love to attend a wedding with ice cream!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome idea!  I don't have any advice I just think this is great though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards