Gay Weddings

Engagement Ring Help!

Hi, I just wanted to know if any guys out there can help me.  My uncle is looking to buy a ring for his boyfriend this week and he is having trouble finding an engagement ring.  Can anyone suggest somewhere we can look at this week or any type of suggestions.  TIA!

Re: Engagement Ring Help!

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He might want to call around and ask jewelers whether they have any "men's engagement rings."  Those are something of a trend even for those straight couples who don't go for the sexist tradition that a woman wears an engagement ring and a man does not.

Another alternative would be to look at men's wedding rings for one that could serve as both an engagement ring and a wedding ring.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, so I have been looking for male engagement rings/ male engagement ring + wedding ring pairs and have been turned away at almost every store. Something that one of the assistants suggested is just looking at male wedding bands, picking one that is more ornate but thinner to use as an engagement ring and then being able to put a simple wedding band beside it. I've also looked at men's "fashion jewelry" which tends to fit what I'm looking for a little better. While the wedding market is still (though much work has been done) fairly heteronormative and sexist and many of these things are not on the market, I have had luck finding shop assistants who want to break the norm and are willing to offer alternatives. 

Wishing your uncle luck and Congrats! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He could consider having a custom piece designed too. While our engagement rings were very traditional, my wife still designed the setting herself (kind of tweaked a setting she saw in he store to what we wanted). It's a little pricey, but then he can select loose stones too which I prefer.

Photobucket
  • chrmunchrmun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got ours from T & co. It's a sterling band with a teeny, tiny diamond. We didn't want to spend a ton of money on them, as they'll get replaced by the W-bands. But at the same time,we wanted something that holds that space until our wedding, (and also sends a clear message to any of the numerous skanks at the gym, 'Step off, bitches. My fiance Will. Cut. You.')
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • chrmunchrmun member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is a link to the ring:
    <linky>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses. I've relayed them to him and also told him about the knot, as he had no clue what I was talking about every time I mentioned the knot to him.  He appreciates all the suggestions and it did help!!  Laughing
  • renaessancerenaessance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    have you tried loveandpride.com?  They've got lots of different designs and are all about supporting the LGBT community. :)

• K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:cc902839-a380-49dc-b7d0-19e9aec7aaf1Post:789952e8-5e6d-4a77-9dc0-03f618db5a60">Re: Engagement Ring Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We got ours from T & co. It's a sterling band with a teeny, tiny diamond. We didn't want to spend a ton of money on them, as they'll get replaced by the W-bands. But at the same time,we wanted something that holds that space until our wedding, (and also sends a clear message to any of the numerous skanks at the gym, 'Step off, bitches. My fiance Will. Cut. You.')
    Posted by chrmun[/QUOTE]

I love that ring, so elegant yet simple :)

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Stephen Kris has been making rings for men and the gay community for many years. He makes custom handmade designs that are sophisticated. His site is:
    www.stephenkris.com
    and you can find him on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/STEPHENKRISDESIGNS

He is located in Greenwich Village! 212-242-1964
    And in honor of Marriage Equality in NYS he is offering 10% discount on all engagement rings and wedding bands purchased/ordered before 8/15/11.
    Best of luck!!
    Julie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards