Snarky Brides

Teach me about GF stuff, please.

My best friend's kid was diagnosed with a wheat allergy and the doctor said he has to eat gluten free food.  She's upset, since kid is sick all.the.time over other, respiratory stuff. She knows this isn't a huge deal, but it's upsetting her now.

I'd like to surprise her with a little GF recipe book, of recipes people have made and know are quick, easy, and tasty.  I could just google recipes, but I'd prefer to have stuff that people can vouch for, kwim?

So. What can you show me? What stuff is naturally GF? I know nothing about this stuff, so help a girl out, please.

Re: Teach me about GF stuff, please.

• I know nothing about GF, either, but I just wanted to tell you that it's awesome you're doing this for her. I'm sure it will help a lot.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • GF PB cookies (they.are.amazing.  Only PB cookies I've made for years, even before I started eating GF)
    1 cup PB
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 tbps vanilla
    Mix together, bake about 10-15 minutes at 350.

Proteins, fruits, veggies, anything unprocessed and not wheat like will be naturally GF.  Rice and quinoa are GF.  Watch out for sausages.  Hidden gluten in:  creamy canned soups, salad dressings, condiments, chewy candies (Skittles are gluten free! Starbursts are not), licorice.  Beer is bad (like in cooking, hopefully the kid isn't drinking it), wine is ok. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Also?  For more recipes, check out my Pinterest.  I just made a GF board.  If I've noted substitutions or said "Could easily be made GF", let me know, I'll tell you what to change.

Soy sauce.  That has gluten.  BBQ sauce depends on the brand.

• I was actually just looking at this myself.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-gluten-free-diet

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teach-gf-stuff-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:70b1ebbf-a4be-4f86-830b-362268d7f58bPost:199fc6c3-3510-4966-aa80-350f0fe281c4">Re: Teach me about GF stuff, please.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also?  For more recipes, check out my Pinterest.  I just made a GF board.  If I've noted substitutions or said "Could easily be made GF", let me know, I'll tell you what to change. <strong>Soy sauce.  That has gluten.</strong>  BBQ sauce depends on the brand.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Thank god for GF soy.  saved my menu planning.
  • Also, if he's truly ALLERGIC, he'll need to avoid it in EVERYTHING.

There is gluten in shampoo, laundry soap, body wash, deoderant, etc.

Dove is a great mostly GF brand.  Vanicream is as well, if you guys have that out there.  Usually, manufacturers are really helpful.

I now use Vanicream free and clear shampoo and conditioner, dove sensitive skin soap, dove deoderant, All Free and Clear laundry soap, Bounce Free dryer sheets, and vinegar as a bleach alternative alternative.

Vitamin E can be derived from many sources, one of which is wheat.  If there's Vitamin E in something, the manufacturer should be contacted to see what the source is.

• Oh, and?  (My god, I should plan this better, I can't edit at work)  The respitory stuff may very well be a side effect of the gluten.  Seriously. 

• Thanks, Sewf! The kid is only 1, but he's eating regular food and I know she feels bad that he can't have "normal" things, even though she realizes it's not the end of the world and there are GF options.

J--that helps a lot, thanks! TBH, I've heard a bunch of you talk about it, but it's not my thing, so I just skimmed over it and had no idea what the deal was.  I think the cookies would be especially good, since she was talking about how his snack food were so expensive.
  • Also (seriously), when eating out, she'll want to call ahead and check if they can accomodate GF diets (I have a great site with a huge listing of restaurants by area that have pledged to accommodate GF diets, I'll PM it to you when I'm home).  She should ask these questions:
    1.  Can you accommodate?
    2.  How do your cooks prepare the gluten free entrees?  Are they prepared separately with clean knives, pans, cutting boards, etc?
    3.  How should I communicate our needs to our server?

• edited January 2012
    Almost all of the types of Chex are gluten free so there are tons of recipes/Chex mix that you can make. Grocery stores are becoming much more gluten free friendly these days so a lot of items in the store are labeled if they are gluten free.
    ETA Not the wheat chex!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The cookies are awesome, because it's very "normal".  They don't TASTE GF, but they are.  They taste very much like delicious PB cookies.

• Anna taught me a large amount of what I know about this.  At least about the eating it part.  So, really, she should get most of the credit.

• Celiac.com has some great resources.

Also some vanilla ectract has gluten so watch out for that. Other than that ...what J and Anna have said.
  • That's what she thought, too.  I will tell her to look into the other products, as well. He had a major respiratory infection as a baby and the docs said now he's much more susceptible to any small bouts of respiratory illnesses. 

They found the wheat allergy when they tested him after he had a huge rash--they said he's allergic to dog, wheat, and something else I'm forgetting.  They adopted out their dog and his face irritation is gone, but he's still having some issues. 

Also, I know they told her that wheat and dairy allergies often go hand in hand, so she's been giving him soy milk.  So they basically said substitute everything with soy and GF stuff instead.

• Oh, I would never have thought about the food prep.

Maybe I will make a "dining out" section for her, too.
  • OH AND ALSO.

Pre packaged seasoning mixes (like taco seasoning) can have flour in them for bulk.  She's better off mixing them herself, or if you guys have a Penzey's, the majority of their stuff is gluten free (and MSG free, bonus!).  I freaking love Penzey's.

• http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

Triticum Vulgare and hydrolyzed wheat protein are what I see most often in products.

• GF Bisquick is amazing too :) I just discovered that. I also highly recommend Schar or Tinkyada pastas.
  • Apparently, we do have Penzey's, but it's kinda far. Granted, if she can go once, stock up on a bunch of stuff, and then have it all and not have to pre-mix stuff, could be worth it.

Thank you all for the help! This is seriously awesome.
  • Yeah, if she's preparing GF stuff for him but stuff with gluten for the rest of the family, she'll want to use separate food prep stuff as well.  I've read that some people get separate toasters, etc.  We haven't gone that far because I still need to keep SOME gluten in my diet so I can be accurately tested for Celiac next month, and I haven't bought any GF bread yet...but yeah.  It gets pretty overwhelming. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teach-gf-stuff-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:70b1ebbf-a4be-4f86-830b-362268d7f58bPost:b2469a56-c0c5-467b-ac0d-b660ded34d78">Re: Teach me about GF stuff, please.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Apparently, we do have Penzey's, but it's kinda far. Granted, if she can go once, stock up on a bunch of stuff, and then have it all and not have to pre-mix stuff, could be worth it. Thank you all for the help! This is seriously awesome.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

You can order online too.  But yeah, you can buy things in pretty good sized packages there (and you can get refills in bags to just refill their glass containers as well) so stocking up is definitely an option.  Their taco seasoning is seriously to die for.  I love it so much.  I'll never go back to the packets again.  Oh, and their 4/S seasoned salt (that's another one that can have flour as filler) is amazing as well.

• This is all great information.  Thank you guys so much!
  • Amazon sells a lot of gf stuff too. It's usually in bigger quantities (like 3 boxes instead of 1) but thats also an option.
  • OH AND???

Just kidding.  I think I'm tapped out.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teach-gf-stuff-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:70b1ebbf-a4be-4f86-830b-362268d7f58bPost:57524f4d-e16f-45d6-a689-d06f5c3ce92a">Re: Teach me about GF stuff, please.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amazon sells a lot of gf stuff too. It's usually in bigger quantities (like 3 boxes instead of 1) but thats also an option.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]
    She will love this option! She is an Amazon hoar.
  • Good luck to your friend!  She's so lucky to have an awesome friend like you :)  It's really overwhelming, so I'm sure she'll appreciate it so much.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teach-gf-stuff-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:70b1ebbf-a4be-4f86-830b-362268d7f58bPost:e638f46c-34d1-4bca-8f62-04e8da535239">Re: Teach me about GF stuff, please.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good luck to your friend!  She's so lucky to have an awesome friend like you :)  It's really overwhelming, so I'm sure she'll appreciate it so much.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    Omg, what are you, in love with me or something? ;)

Thanks, and thank you so much for the info. It IS overwhelming, so I think this will be helpful.
  • NO I'M HELPFUL GOSHDIDDLYDAMNIT.

HELP. FUL.

FULL OF HELP.

And cranked on caffeine.  And bored.  AND CRAZY.

• I have celiac disease, which means I can't have anything with gluten. Gluten is contained in wheat, barley and rye. There are a bunch of really good blogs out there, just google Celiac and/or gluten free. And celiac disease, which is actually different than a wheat allergy for a variety of reasons, is pretty specific in its requirements, so reading labels is key. Things that are safe for celiacs are not always wheat free, although they usually are, and vice versa. Bob's Red Mill products rock the casbah. You can re-create most "regular" recipes with their products (like their gluten-free all purpose flour) and they taste pretty much exactly like the non-GF versions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards