New York

Hi All!

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the CNY board! My name is Holly & I'm from the Utica area. I just got engaged a month ago, and am planning a wedding for September 2013. I don't really have much decided on yet, still looking at vendors, and venues. My wedding color is dark grey. Can't decide on how big I want my wedding party, if I should have jr bridesmaids/groomsmen and/or flower girls/ring bearer (7 little ones considering out of 18 kids in the family). Any advice/recommendations??  Thanks!

Re: Newbie

• edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and congrats on your engagement!!!

I have tons of advice in my Mrs bio (link in siggy), but for now... (especially since you asked about it).... my main piece of advice would be

STOP THINKING ABOUT YOUR WEDDING PARTY.  Seriously. 

Wait until you are 6-8 months out to decide.  So much changes throughout the course of your planning... espcially your friendships.  Many of the girls on here can attest to all of the trouble and drama that can occur when you jump the gun.  HTH

Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_newbie-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:490e0931-4534-4f39-972d-06a0902754e6Post:856b1bc0-68c3-47a6-9d80-f001af17afb3">Re: Newbie</a>:
    [QUOTE]STOP THINKING ABOUT YOUR WEDDING PARTY.  Seriously.  Wait until you are 6-8 months out to decide.  So much changes throughout the course of your planning... espcially your friendships.  Many of the girls on here can attest to all of the trouble and drama that can occur when you jump the gun.  HTH
    Posted by kevinandmonica2011[/QUOTE]

Can't stress how important this is! I got engaged in December 2010 and my wedding isn't until September 2012 - almost two years of planning. One night out with some friends only a couple months after getting engaged (after a few glasses of wine), I told four of my friends that I wanted them to be my bridesmaids. Big mistake. My friendships have really changed - some people I've grown closer to since then and some people I've grown away from. Now I'm in an awkard situation where I've already asked girls to be in my wedding party that I don't really want in it anymore! Definitely wait until you're closer to your wedding date, you have plenty of time to decide.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome!!

I agree with PP! Definitely wait on the wedding party! If you scroll through some of the previous posts, you'll see how (unnecessarily) dramatic the process can become. Enjoy being engaged and the process! The ladies here are amazing :-)
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!  You'll read a lot of great advice here.  Take your time planning, and have fun!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Happily9Happily9 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! Thanks for the great intro!  I also agree with the great advice given above!  Happy planning!
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome!! I concur with PPs on the bridal party thing, however it might not be too early to think about the logistics of your BP, ie how many on each side. Fi and i spent quite a few days talking about this, and I had to talk him down from EIGHT to six each and nowwww ive discovered that he's already told everyone that he wants them, including an extra person, so we're up to seven!! on that note, remind your FI not to talk wedding with people until a minimum of 6-8 months out, or else everyone will expect an invite. Rinse and repeat. Happy planning :)!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Again I totally agree with the above comments, but I'd also wait to flush out your wedding a bit more.  When we first got engaged we both thought about having the typical traditional wedding with all of our friends and family (including a small WP) but once we really sat down and started to figure things out, budget, venue, location etc we decided to completely scrap our first idea and went with a small wedding at a location that meant a lot to us and when we revisted on the idea of a WP we realized having one was silly as our guest list was only 25 people and the people we'd have in our WP were half our guests.  So much can change!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards