Wedding Etiquette Forum

My recruiter is trying to screw me

I got my current temp job through a recruiting agency. I have kept her up to date on this new job. She emailed me today asking about my status and I told her that I got a 4th interview. All of a sudden, she tells me that she has to go tell my HR lady here immediately. She has sent her a resume in for my replacement. She's giving me a week to train her. She's totally confident that I'm going to get this new job. I'm not, however because no contract has been signed yet. I talked to my boss and laid everything out. She said they aren't going to fire me if I don't get this other job, they like my work here and just not to worry about it. I think I can trust her.

Basically, the recruiter is trying to get every penny that she can. If she replaces me, she gets a sign on bonus and then commission every week.

I AM LIVID!!!
"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs

Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me

• Did your recruiter set up this other thing that you're now going for #4 with?
  • I would be angry too, LVB! What is she thinking? I'm glad your current boss is understanding of the situation.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Dude fire her. That's BS.
  • That sucks.  I hope that everything works out with the new job so that you don't have to deal with her anymore.  In the mean time, it sounds like your current job is safe, so at least you don't have to be worried that you are going to get replaced.  GL with everything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • I wouldn't fire her just yet, in case she had a hand in the BIG interview process that's coming up.  You never know how she might get her retribution.
  • M recruiter didn't find the new job for me. My resume was on Monster, and they found me. There's no way in hell i will use this agency again. I just can't believe she did this.

I'm supposed to hear from the HR person to tell me when my interview is. I'm thinking about emailing her and laying everything out that was going on today. What do you think? Look to desperate?

"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_recruiter-trying-screw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1884ac42-79a5-422c-bd61-9963ff18c7faPost:747d9fd6-108c-426e-a718-fcf70407d26c">Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't fire her just yet, in case she had a hand in the BIG interview process that's coming up.  You never know how she might get her retribution.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

No fear of that whatsoever. She was none too pleased that I found something outside of her. No kickback for her in this case.
  • No no... don't email the HR person.  They don't need to know that.  Once, when I left a retail job and moved over to working for Whirlpool, my new boss heard about how Aldo through a shitfit when I told them I was leaving and told me to leave before my 2 weeks was up.  She said I should have called her and they would have started me right away.  I didn't look like the bad guy, because I was adamant about giving Aldo my 2 weeks and because I didn't go tattling, I looked as thought I took the high road.

I'd wait until after you get things hammered out with this new job, and then put in a complaint with this woman's company or her boss, if she's not an independent.
  • No, I wouldn't email the HR person and tell them whats going on with the recruiter. It isn't really her business and I doubt it would affect their decision and it could make you look like a drama queen even though this is not your fault. That sucks you recruiter is being such a bitch.
  • Would it be acceptable to ask about my status, or timeline, on the premise that we're now 2 weeks out from when they would want me to start and I need to tell my current boss?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_recruiter-trying-screw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1884ac42-79a5-422c-bd61-9963ff18c7faPost:a8097038-f813-44d3-aa4f-2f951a4e20e9">Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would it be acceptable to ask about my status, or timeline, on the premise that we're now 2 weeks out from when they would want me to start and I need to tell my current boss?
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

I think that would be fine.  If it's on the premise of giving your two weeks notice to your current job, then it doesn't throw up any red flags.  But like PP, I would say don't let HR know about the current situation just yet.
    Puppy Love
  • I would honestly wait to see what they want to talk to you about in the 4th interview. They could be bringing you in to talk about salary, benefits, when you can start, etc.

Unfortunately, I personally don't think your current situation will affect their decision on speeding up the process at all since it could be the end of their fiscal year and all of that stuff is going down with their big announcement last week.
  • Oh, I'm not worried about them speeding it up at all. I'll start when they tell me to. I'd just like a timeline to be able to relay to my current boss.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_recruiter-trying-screw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1884ac42-79a5-422c-bd61-9963ff18c7faPost:7a3b1f06-16a8-47d9-87f7-3c490d1f8521">Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would honestly wait to see what they want to talk to you about in the 4th interview. They could be bringing you in to talk about salary, benefits, when you can start, etc. Unfortunately, I personally don't think your current situation will affect their decision on speeding up the process at all since it could be the end of their fiscal year and all of that stuff is going down with their big announcement last week.
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, this.  Though, I don't know what the big announcement was last week. :)
  • We have 2 plants of this co. in town and they're closing one to retrofit and update it.
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    It's a secret Snippy! :-P

LVB, don't be afraid to tell the new company that you can't start for 2 weeks from your offer date, even if it's past the date they've stated previously, because you need to give your current company adequate notice. The worst they will do is say no. They won't rescind your offer.

ETA: It's their fault for dragging their feet. I know it was hard for me to ask for things when I was getting a job offer and I feel like I ended up short changing myself. However, I had to realize for next time that by the time they are offering you a position, they've made the decision to pick YOU and are willing to listen to your requests.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_recruiter-trying-screw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1884ac42-79a5-422c-bd61-9963ff18c7faPost:a8097038-f813-44d3-aa4f-2f951a4e20e9">Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would it be acceptable to ask about my status, or timeline, on the premise that we're now 2 weeks out from when they would want me to start and I need to tell my current boss?

I wouldn't tell the new HR person about any of this stuff with your recruiter.  I do think it's okay to contact her about your status and the 4th interview, but I wouldn't even say that it's because you're 2 weeks out from when they would want you to start and you need to tell your boss because they haven't actually offered you the job yet and it sounds pretty presumptuous to start talking about when to give notice at your current job.  I mean, a 4th interview is awesome and it sounds like you're going to get it, but I wouldn't do anything to tip it in the other direction.  I'd just lay low and play it cool.  If she's going to contact you to set up the 4th interview, try to be patient.  As long as your current boss knows the reality and is cool with it, that's most important.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for talking me off the ledge, ladies. I'm just very anxious now. I was totally fine, taking everything as it came. But now I'm pissed and really anxious to hear about the new job. But you're right, Dani. I don't want to sound like I know I already got the job. I'm sure they wouldn't like that.
  • I agree with Birdie and Dani.

To make you feel better, I just checked the train situation and they've canceled all trains between Copenhagen and Malmo to Helsingborg until midnight tonight.  NICE.  Tomorrow is going to be ever so much fun.
  • I hope that biitch can't get into work tomorrow. That would be justice.
  • Is there a ferry? Would that possibly be open if they trains aren't running? Or a bus?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_recruiter-trying-screw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1884ac42-79a5-422c-bd61-9963ff18c7faPost:829880d3-1350-47a6-b77a-775c102862b6">Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have 2 plants of this co. in town and they're closing one to retrofit and update it.

This is the new job you're interviewing for?  Is it the one close to my old house they're retrofitting?  Or the other one?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • No, the ferry isn't going and takes 3 times as long.  But I'm not trying to hijack here.  H just came home and said if I can't get in on the train, he'd drive me.  Which would suck because it would cost us an even 100E

LVB, that would be hilarious!!
  • Snippy, I was going to tell you in the other thread, but I"ll say it here.

I had a HELL of a time getting to my interview at my current job. Everything that could go wrong did, including me forgetting a very important article of clothing in my hometown and not realizing it until the morning of. :) By the time I got to the interview, I was just so happy to finally be there that it took the edge off of being nervous for the actual interview.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_recruiter-trying-screw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1884ac42-79a5-422c-bd61-9963ff18c7faPost:2e6e9ed4-353a-401f-908b-2dd63f2850cf">Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me : This is the new job you're interviewing for?  Is it the one close to my old house they're retrofitting?  Or the other one?
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Yes, the new job. They are retrofitting the one near your house, I belive. The other one is out on the East end.
  • LVB, I went to Louisville and Clarksville, IN this weekend. 

St. Matthews mall was basically wings of insanity. 

I had Red Robin for the first time.

That is all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Heh, my first apartment in Louisville was near the other one.  I had to leave the state to escape.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Wrkn, you're crazy. I don't think you could pay me to go over to the malls right now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_recruiter-trying-screw?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1884ac42-79a5-422c-bd61-9963ff18c7faPost:11dab721-b3ba-4059-8133-9368db2f4e8e">Re: My recruiter is trying to screw me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wrkn, you're crazy. I don't think you could pay me to go over to the malls right now.
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

It was a stupid decision.  The weekend was fun, but full of fail.

BF was working on foreclosed houses, and while helping him pull out an old stove, I SHATTERED the glass door. Luckily, we were pulling out the stove to trash it, but it wasn't fun to clean up.

I fell at the hotel on ice.  That particular part was sharp, cut through the knee of my jeans and made a shallow cut on my knee.  I was livid.  Those were my favorite jeans.

I bought like two things at the mall, and spent the rest of the time dodging rude shoppers who tried to tackle me.  The mall is huge compared to ours, though. 

We were going to go tubing or skiing in Indy, but I talked BF out of blowing the money this close to Christmas.  That, and I was convinced I would break a bone after all that bad luck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • wrkn...that sounds like a crappy weekend!  :(  I hope you at least tried the garlic parm fries at Red Robin?  That would make any crappy weekend a whole lot better!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards