Wedding Woes

how would you handle this?

you are the red car, and want to turn left.  the blue car also wants to turn left.  there are cars behind both of you, and most of them want to go straight.

please address
1) how far you pull up
2) how you make your turn relative to the other car

thank you in advance.

Re: how would you handle this?

• Flash lights and let the other guy go first.  Ideally, the guy behind him will let you go.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • sorry, i should specify:  there is a green light, but no turning arrow.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_how-would-you-handle-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:d1857c8c-6705-4d04-83af-e584670d3866Post:d819904f-c6df-4aca-85f4-580e49d55f9f">Re: how would you handle this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]sorry, i should specify:  there is a green light, but no turning arrow.
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

Both red and blue should have signal lights on indicating their desire to turn left so....you both go at the same time.  You are not in danger of hitting each other since you are turning on to opposite lanes.  Maybe I'm missing something.   Why is this even a question?
  • I'm with MNNE bride.  Though I know people behind BOTH of the turning cars will just try to swerve and potentially cause accidents, thus the eye contact of both turning drivers is necessary and understanding.
  • On second thought, I agree with MNNE.  I was confused at the beginning.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • [QUOTE]please address
    1) how far you pull up
    2) how you make your turn relative to the other car
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

i am looking for answers that address both these points.

do you stay where you are and make the turn from the intersection?
    do you pull up a little?
    do you pull up a lot?
    do you "start" your turn so that you can see around the other turning car?
  • I pull out into the middle of the intersection, if blue guy starts to turn left in front of me, I will also turn left at the same time, but I don't trust his blinker until I see him turning. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, I pull up so that I can easily turn, so a "little" but not a "lot"...got that, jlo?
  • i normally pull up past the blue car and make the turn behind them.  i do not "start" my turn, lest it block the car behind the blue car.

making the turn that way allows the cars behind me to go around if they want to go through the intersection, and it allows the car behind me to also make the left turn before the light changes.

the reason why i ask:  i was at this intersection on friday, and i pulled up into the intersection.  the dude in the blue car went absolutely bananas -- banging on his steering wheel with both fists, screaming.

i gestured to him to pull forward and make the turn behind me (if he turned from where he was sitting, he would be heading into oncoming traffic).  he continued with the screaming and freaking out, and then finally made the turn after the light turned red.

• tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2012
    So you turn after him, like, let him make his turn completely and go in front of the guy behind him who is NOT turning?  No.

I pull up to the middle of the intersection and turn at the same time as oncoming left-turner.  If he is a pvssy and won't pull into the intersection, then I turn in front of him (as long as it's clear he is waiting to turn).

Related:  I absolutely HATE it when left-turners won't pull into the intersection.  GET OUT THERE.
  • [QUOTE]So you turn after him, like, let him make his turn completely and go in front of the guy behind him who is NOT turning?  No.
    Posted by tawillers[/QUOTE]

no.  the person behind him is also turning. 
    the people who are <strong><u>not</u></strong> turning are going around the blue car, because he is pulled far enough into the intersection.
  • it looks likes this --
  • I have never made a left hand turn BEHIND another car. I always do it the way zsa zsa decribed it <- DIRTY!
  • [QUOTE]Related:  I absolutely HATE it when left-turners won't pull into the intersection.  GET OUT THERE.
    Posted by tawillers[/QUOTE]

this is ABSOLUTELY the issue here.  the left turn requires you to pull far forward, because first you have to clear the first three lanes -- which is at least a car length -- before you get to the turn. 
  • So did you turn while he was honking and tearing his shirt with anger? 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_how-would-you-handle-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:d1857c8c-6705-4d04-83af-e584670d3866Post:17b9f129-1cca-4d0c-81b7-b6ffe5c7acbb">Re: how would you handle this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I pull out into the middle of the intersection, if blue guy starts to turn left in front of me, I will also turn left at the same time, but I don't trust his blinker until I see him turning. 
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

^^ This.
  • i gestured to him to make the damn turn, and he was too far gone.  the light turned, so i just turned and let him stay there all imaginarily blocked in. 
  • This must have taken place in LA, we have only a handful of protected left hand turn lanes with green arrows in the whole dang city.  It confuses newbs a lot.  The main thing is you both pulled up enough to allow the flow of traffic going straight through the intersection enough room to pass.  You both made your turns too so who knows what that spazz's problem was.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_how-would-you-handle-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:d1857c8c-6705-4d04-83af-e584670d3866Post:17b9f129-1cca-4d0c-81b7-b6ffe5c7acbb">Re: how would you handle this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I pull out into the middle of the intersection, if blue guy starts to turn left in front of me, I will also turn left at the same time, but I don't trust his blinker until I see him turning. 
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

^^This^^, because people drive stupid in Cleveland.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards